News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Erie County Conservation League, Sandusky, OH Sept 19&20, 2020

Started by Corvette, September 20, 2020, 09:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Wow, what a great Appleseed at the Erie County Conservation Club near Sandusky, OH this past weekend.  We had 10 shooters arrive Saturday morning ready to work on their marksmanship skills.  And what a great group of shooters we had.   

We started the weekend with a welcome, an introduction to the goals of RWVA and Project Appleseed, and our normal safety briefing.  This was followed by bringing rifles to the line and we started the event with the Sat morning Red Coat. 
Results were impressive.  We had 9 of 10 put three rounds in the 100 yd target, 3 at 200, 6 at 300, 1 at 400 and 5 joined Daniel Morgan.  We had one cleared Red Coat, congrats Deb.  The Ohio Appleseed patch was awarded for the cleared Red Coat.

We moved to the points of instruction (POI).  The steady hold factors in prone were presented followed by the six steps and NPOA.  Drills were shot after each POI and we then moved to shooting groups for sight adjustments
IMC was presented and adjustments were made.  We shot several confirmation groups followed by additional adjustments and it was time for lunch.   

Cadence presented a great First Strike at lunch and we returned to the line to continue our efforts.

We then moved to the steady hold factors in seated followed by several drills.  The Second Strike was presented at the afternoon break by Cadence and we moved on to the steady hold factors in standing.  Drills were shot and we were ready for the practice AQT. 

The practice AQT was followed by a real AQT which was followed by the Saturday afternoon Red Coat.

Results were strong.  We had 9 of 10 at 100, 9 of 10 at 200, 4 of 10 at 300 and 4 of 10 at 400.  We had 3 folks join Daniel Morgan and we had one more cleared Red Coats.  Huzzah!!!!  Congrats to Deb, that made it two in a row. 

The day ended with a third strike and a call to action by Corvette. 

Sunday dawned sunny and pleasant and all but one of the shooters returned for day two.  Local rules restricted any shooting until 10 AM so we welcomed the shooters for day two, reviewed the safety rules and our POI's from Saturday, conducted a non-firing trigger drill and talked about how to maximize your AQT efforts.  At 10 AM, we were able to begin shooting.

The Sunday morning Red Coat showed good results.  We had 8 of 9 at 100, 8 at 200, 2 at 300, 4 at 400, 5 joined Daniel Morgan and we had 1 more cleared Red Coats.  Deb strikes again.   

We then completed an NPOA drill on a squares target and moved to the AQT grind. 

The shooters stepped up and really shined. 
We had 13 qualifying scores (requalifications and new Riflemen).  Qualifying scores were shot by:

Deb(New):   224,222,238,233,219,234
Matt(Requal):   219,216,225
Alan(New):  221
Brian(Requal): 222,230,232

I must apologize for a major oversight on my part.  Brian, I did not realize that you were shooting open sights.  Your 230 and 232 scores qualifies you for our Distinguished award.  I am really sorry I did not recognize this today.  You will get your patch from me via the mail and again, please accept my apologies.

To break up the AQT grind, we shot a team challenge in the afternoon.  We broke the line up into three teams of three person  shooter groups.  We posted 100 yd targets, one for each team.  Shooters were given instructions to load ten rounds total for each group.  With ten rounds per team, the max score would be 50.  It was announced beforehand that ties would be broken by number of V hits. 

Well, it was a really, really close challenge.  Scores were as follows:

Team 3 Hancock - 50/8 V's
Team 1 Revere - 50/6 V's
Team 2 Adams - 47/5 V's

Congrats to team Hancock for your success on this challenge.  But this was a testament to all the shooters.  Out of 30 shots, 27 were 5's.  19 of the 30 shots were V's. Make no mistake, these folks can shoot. 

We then shot a final AQT's followed by the Sunday afternoon Red Coat. Results were strong and consistent with the morning Red Coat.   We had 9 of 9 at 100, 6 at 200, 4 at 300, 4 at 400 and 4 joined Daniel Morgan.  We had three clear the Red Coat.  Congrats to Deb, Brian and Matt. Wow, what a great group of shooters.

We closed the event with a final call to action for the shooters. 

My deep thanks to all the shooters for having a safe and fun event and to the Instructors (Cadence, Third Degree, devilkitty, Lil Dragon, and Meadow) who helped with the event.   Also, my thanks to the Erie County Conservation League for hosting us again. 

Huzzah!!! I hope to see all of you at a future Ohio event.  Remember that a Rifleman persists, never gives up and recognizes that a Rifleman's skills are not easily attained.  See you all soon.   

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

To all the ECCL shooters, if you had a great time this past weekend and can't wait to come to another event, we have open slots at our event next month in Gibsonburg, Ohio just up the road. 

Again, it was great to work with all of you.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Corvette

Some Pics:

Congrats to Deb, she really lit it up this weekend.  Four straight cleared Red Coats and six qualifying scores, one just two points from Distinguished.  Dag gone, that is some serious shooting. 

Corvette

Cadence

WOW!! What a great event!

Weather was perfect, attendees were engaged, and brought with them that all important teachable attitude. We couldn't have asked for a better group of shooters.

Congratulations to our new Rifleman Alan and Rifleman Deb.   O0

There were several people who were just a few shots away from also qualifying. Please come back to another event and I'm sure it will be worth your while.

This gives me an opportunity to ask those who were close, to sign up for the Gibsonburg shoot at the end of October and get their patch!

Thanks to ECCL for hosting us. It is a pleasure to come to such a welcoming first class facility!

Special shout out to all the other instructors who signed up and to our Shoot Boss Corvette for running the event.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

devilkitty

Another great event in the great State of Ohio!
I think everyone from old hands to those who'd never fired a rifle before learned something, and the improvements over the weekend were heartening. Some put up great scores, some were knocking at the door, some weren't quite to the door, but standing on the porch...

Apply what you learned, practice "by the numbers" (dry fire is your friend, and don't over-think it!), and you'll break that door right on down.

I enjoyed working with you all -- though y'all didn't make it feel like work -- and I look forward to seeing you folks on the line again. (With funny-colored hats would be a plus.)

Oh, and Evan -- I want to see you outshoot your dad next time. You're darn close. :)
Charlie
Grovertown, Ind.

Have Blue Hat -- Will Travel
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." -- Thomas Pynchon
"A people who forget who they are will become whatever they are told they are." -- Graywolf

Corvette

I know that there were more pics taken. Let's share them so all can enjoy and relive a great event. 

Corvette