News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Step Up To The Line Rhode Island.

Started by Trainfriend, February 22, 2009, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfriend

Hello Rhode Island. Trainfriend here. I'm a native Rhode Islander, born and bred. I'm proud to be associated with this noble project and hope you see fit to join us in our goals to create Riflemen across the country. In addition to Appleseed I am a new member of the Wallum Lake R&GC.

So, fellow Rhode Islanders, please take a moment to "step up to the line", introduce yourselves and tell us your local club affiliations.

If you voted for change...you got it. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?

Trainfriend

C'mon....no Rhode Islanders out there????

I weep for our future.  :'(

spider

How far are you from New London?

I'm on Long Island.  I can get the ferry out of Orient.

I know of no range on Long Island where it is possible and safe to hold an Appleseed.  Upstate NY is a LOOOOONG ways away.  But, New London is quick.  And I like Rhode Island.  I had a girl friend who was from Acoaxet.

I've been waiting for an AS in Keene, NH or Bratt, VT.  That is where my clan hails from and I am up there a lot.  The problem seems to be that they shoot too much.  We have a Garand League.  A 1903 League.  Hell, I started shooting the AQT at 12 in the Jr League.  Rifle club was Tuesday night.  I never saw "Happy Days."  Never, ever missed it. 

New London is close.  Throw my hat into the ring.

Money and time are tight right now but things can open up.

By the way, is that a Guiness?  That would be the milk of my mother.
Work equals force times distance.  Force equals mass times acceleration.

"Live Free or Die;  There are many evils worse than death."  Gen. John Stark

colycat

There has to be a place to hold an AS in RI.  You only need 82 ft and a backstop.  You can make it happen, and heaven knows, you need an Appleseed in your area.  Start looking!

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Trainfriend

Quote from: spider on February 25, 2009, 09:41:03 PM

By the way, is that a Guiness?  That would be the milk of my mother.

Spider...YOU...you're good!!!  ;)

Aye lad, a Guinness it is. That was a picture of me toasting a friend who just became a citizen.

I was proud...he was proud...now we're both horrified.   :'(

Trainfriend

Quote from: colycat on February 25, 2009, 10:27:38 PM
There has to be a place to hold an AS in RI.  You only need 82 ft and a backstop.  You can make it happen, and heaven knows, you need an Appleseed in your area.  Start looking!

Coly

I agree Coly. My problem right now is I'm not well established at my Gun club. I'm a brand new member (only three weeks) and not well connected with the decision makers. I'd like to bring up the issue at the next club meeting (Second Monday of the month) but I've never been to an Appleseed event so I'm unprepared to confidently answer questions. My first Appleseed is Harvard, MA on 4/18-19.

There's nothing worse than trying to sell an idea to a large group and not have most if not all of the answers.

ivyleague28477

I'll say: GOOD LUCK!!!

I spent most of my life in RI, and........... it's worse than NJ/NY/CA.

good luck.....

Trainfriend

Quote from: ivyleague28477 on March 30, 2009, 09:55:23 PM
I'll say: GOOD LUCK!!!

I spent most of my life in RI, and........... it's worse than NJ/NY/CA.

good luck.....

WOW! Worse that NY and NJ. That hurts!

Brown Student?

RIjake

Hey, transplanted RIer here.  I'll be going to my first shoot up in Proctor, VT in May.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I've got a buddy who would have been going with me but something else came up.

Trainfriend, I'm in the same boat with regards to my club.  I'm only a probationary member.  Maybe next year we'll be able to do it there.

Trainfriend

Quote from: RIjake on April 11, 2009, 11:01:52 PM
Hey, transplanted RIer here.  I'll be going to my first shoot up in Proctor, VT in May.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I've got a buddy who would have been going with me but something else came up.

Trainfriend, I'm in the same boat with regards to my club.  I'm only a probationary member.  Maybe next year we'll be able to do it there.

What club do you belong to Jake?

dwarven1

RIJake, Trainfriend... Dwarven1 here. I'm the Northeast Regional coordinator.

Once you've gotten back from Harvard, and come down from the high of learning to be a Rifleman, contact me and let's see if I can't find a day to come down and meet with your club leadership and try and get a shoot going there.

Hmmm... second Monday. Second Monday in May I'm not available, so I'll see if I can find someone else to sub in for me. Or we can try for the second Monday of June.

IvyLeague... I'm FROM NJ originally, and I have a VERY hard time believing that RI is worse.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Nickle

Ross, he's going to be at Proctor, in May, not Harvard in April.

Jake, we'll see you there.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

RIjake

Yep, Proctor, VT

I belong to Victory Sportman's Club in Glocester.  It's a small club with only 50 members.

I just got my Tech-Sights in today!  My Marlin 795 is almost set to go!  Sling and sights.  I need a couple more magazines though.

Willard

kDan

I may be in RI next week-end, 5/16-17.  Distant relative's funeral.

So, yeah...  I have family there - in Westerly.  My brother in law is a hunter and may be into an AS.  Somehow, he ended up with my grand-father's WWII bring-back ordnance.  Maybe I can guilt him into learning how to use some of it.

TF, Willard, either you around?  Anybody else? 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

noelephant

Hello fellow Rhode Islanders!

I'm from North Providence.  I made it up to the Bennington, VT appleseed last month... That was a good time!  I didn't make rifleman so I'm trying to figure out which one to go to next.

Cheers,

Josh