News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ladyseed, Marengo, OH AAR Aug 1&2, 2020

Started by Corvette, August 02, 2020, 12:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Well, our first day is in the books and what a great day.  We had 9 ladies join us this morning willing and able to work on their rifle skills.  The day started with the typical welcome and safety briefing and we moved on to the morning Red Coat. Results were mixed but all the ladies worked hard all day.  More to follow in the final report tomorrow but all of these ladies worked very hard and all made improvements today. 

Looking forward to a great day tomorrow and hopefully some new Riflewomen.  More to follow.

Covette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Day two of our Ladyseed at Cardinal Shooting Center near Marengo, Ohio is in the books.  All nine shooters returned to continue working on their Marksmanship skills. The weather was like the day before.  Overcast, scattered rain was in the forecast  and temps were lower than on Saturday.

The instructors arrived shortly before our start time as planned and the line was set up.  While we were erecting our pop-ups and setting up the firing line, one of the "scattered showers" found us.  We hustled to get tarps on the sides of our pop-ups to protect our equipment, targets, and other equipment but we didn't have time to take down the firing line in a shower that was a bit more than just a shower. 

The rain carried on for about an hour during which we did the welcome, the safety re-brief  and the POI review under the cover of the pop-ups.  But, we had a problem.  The rain had totally destroyed our target backers (coated cardboard) and we needed to improvise another solution before we could get started. 

One of our instructors, Dragonfly Warrior, jumped in her SUV and did a quick run to the businesses out near the interstate and came back with replacement cardboard that we could use for backers rescued from various dumpsters. 

That combined with a couple of other spare backers that I had allowed us to restore the target line.

The rain had stopped and we finally got rifles to the line to shoot the morning Red Coat.  Results were consistent with the Sat afternoon Red Coat.  We followed that with an NPOA/Rifleman's Cadence drill on Green Coat targets and then moved to our first AQT of the weekend.

Michelle requalified as a Riflewoman with a solid 222. 

Our second AQT was interrupted when a local County Sheriff Deputy arrived at the range and approached us.  It turned out that one of our shooters had accidentally "butt dialed" 911 and he was responding to the call. He was very understanding with the situation and spent some time chatting with us as a group.

We finished up our AQT and broke for lunch where we had an abbreviated KD lecture. We returned to the line for our next AQT.  Storms were predicted for late afternoon so we needed to move forward as quickly as we could.  Well, it turns out that we had a second "butt dial" of 911 and the Deputy returned a second time.  We apologized profusely for the second incident and thanked him for his service.  He took it in good spirits and spend some time chatting with us about a number of topics.

We finished our third AQT and the Sunday afternoon Red Coat and moved to wrap up the weekend. This included a discussions on CMP, a presentation on the background of the Purple Patch, presenting William Diamond patches to our youth shooters and the award of an Orange hat to Michelle. 

Our thanks to Cardinal Shooting Center for hosting us and my thanks to a great group of instructors for helping with this shoot.  Black_Bird and Dragonfly Warrior, you both are the best.  It was a pleasure to work with  each of you.  We look forward to our next event at Cardinal. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Texas T

Sounds like a weekend for the record books. Glad that everyone had a good time and survived the "showers".   **)
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

MamiDeCinco

The girls and I had a GREAT time.  We feel much more confident in shooting a rifle now and we look forward to coming to another Appleseed event.  Thank you for the wonderful shooting instruction the great history lesson. 

Cant wait for the next one!  This time I will have a scope on my rifle!   :---   :snipersmi.  LOVE these emojis! 

I'll try and add some pictures when I login from my phone.  Takes too long from the computer.    :)

Corvette

MamiDeCinco,

It was great you and your daughters join us this past weekend.  I am glad that you all had such a great time and we look forward to having the family join us again soon.  Looking forward to your pics. 

Corvette