News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

BSOA a troop of boys and a troop of girls

Started by pennys dad, July 15, 2020, 12:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pennys dad

Hi EveryoneI have an opportunity in Chino Valley Az..BSOA a troop of boys and a troop of girls.They want a rifle class for their badge.What i am looking for is a Scout Badge Counselor and AS Instructors IT and Up. .I am going to marry the AS one day rifle program and the needs for a badge.Does anyone know a counselor?

Nashville Stage

If I remember from my boy scout days, the local Boy Scout council HQ (usually one council per county) keeps a contact list of merit badge counselors for that area. You could touch base with all of the rifle counselors and see if any of them would be up for doing a collaboration. If you swing by your local council HQ store, you can also purchase a copy of the latest rifle merit badge booklet. It'll be the same booklet that the scouts will have with them, and covers the teaching & testing requirements to earn the badge.

The Boy Scouts have requirements for becoming a merit badge counselor or adult leader yourself, but I'm not sure if those requirements would apply to non-scout leaders / instructors who are attending.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Monkey

Though not in your neck of the woods, I'm a BSA Rifle Shooting MBC.

It's not as simple as holding an AS event for their merit badge.  For it to be a sanctioned BSA event, there are a LOT of constraints and not a lot of wiggle room.

Earlier this year, I provided a run-down:  https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=57674

HTH.

"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

pennys dad

Thank you for the information. I was hoping to find a Merit Badge Counselor already prepared.
Looks like I will need to submit documents to become one. Thank you for the excellent write up.

Quote from: Monkey on July 15, 2020, 02:48:45 PM
Though not in your neck of the woods, I'm a BSA Rifle Shooting MBC.

It's not as simple as holding an AS event for their merit badge.  For it to be a sanctioned BSA event, there are a LOT of constraints and not a lot of wiggle room.

Earlier this year, I provided a run-down:  https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=57674

HTH.