News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Riverton, WY AAR June 27-28, 2020

Started by sleepy, July 01, 2020, 02:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepy

On a bright day so "sunshiny" laying out bread could make toast, we rolled into Riverton for what I believe was our first shoot here.

Jason, our sponsor from Wyoming Tactical, was there to let me in and available for consultation throughout the weekend. The Riverton Shooting Club is a nice little range tucked behind the Fire Academy, and very convenient to Riverton's main drag.

Showing up to brave the 95f heat were one shooter, JT, and one IIT, Ridge Walker.

JT was a veteran of two previous Appleseeds, and an enthusiastic supporter of the program. As with any clinic, we started from the beginning. JT's rifle seemed to have some issues, so we put in some time with it, and ended the day with some major improvement in the redcoat.

Ridge Walker was challenging his PC3 and PC4, so had his hands full for the weekend with leadership and teaching. His coaching was superb throughout, as were all other tasks performed.

Sunday came with a few surprises weatherwise. The weather was much cooler, with highs in the upper 60s, overcast, and sporadic rain. The wind was also pretty intense throughout the day, causing us to take down our canopy and put away some gear.

Our other pre-registered shooter, Ethan, showed up. Saturday, he had to go into work and could not join us. While feeling bad about it, I asked him to reschedule, as he had missed all of the instruction until now. He cheerfully agreed, and I look forward to seeing him later this summer.

One of Ridge Walker's friends, Ron, showed up during lunch. Ridge Walker was actively recruiting him, but he couldn't do the shoot due to a pre-existing commitment.

JT's rifle was still a little wonky, confirmed by his excellent (<4MOA) performance with two loaners (irons & optics respectively). Nonetheless, this rifleman-to-be showed great persistence, wanting to qualify with his own rifle. This did not happen, though again his redcoat improved.

Ridge Walker again performed admirably, demonstrating that his promotion was long overdue.

Throughout the weekend, liberty was frequently discussed whenever marksmanship wasn't. JT came to Wyoming from California, so liberty was a topic near to JT's heart.

JT will also be attending another 2-day clinic this summer, work schedule permitting, and good Lord willing leave with a Rifleman patch and an orange hat.

With Ridge Walker's promotion, we now have a much bigger footprint in western Wyoming than we did. I'm looking forward to numbers on the line increasing out here.

This was a nice ending to a fun weekend, with scenery and exploration to look forward to on my drive home.

Mrs. Smith

:pics:

Share some pics, if you have them, please!  I'll get them on the Facebook page
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24