News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Denver, CO: Skyline HFC (Two Day Rifle Clinic) AAR Jul 11-12, 2020

Started by Captain, July 12, 2020, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

Colorado felt a little more "back to normal" after a great event up in the foothills overlooking Denver. We finally made our first return to the great range out at Skyline Hunting and Fishing Club. Appleseed is definitely lucky to have the amazing support of clubs like this one. Thanks for having us!

It was a hot one - but eight folks showed up to practice the art of marksmanship and take in an extra serving of liberty. The Founding Fathers would have been proud! And I think a couple of people may have worked on their tans a little - although I don't think it was intentional.

This event was also celebrated as a Patriot's Day Appleseed after the original clinic back in April had been canceled due to coronavirus. All of the shooters were happy to share a little of that special day commemorated with a memorial volley and some extra swag for everyone to enjoy.

Here are a few photos which you can click on to see larger and then click again to shrink back down.

The masked crew of Skyline (everyone is smiling) - taken at the end of Day 1.

"Those of us who were born free and have known freedom all our lives sometimes forget what a precious blessing it is."

I have some more photos to post as I get caught up, but I hope anyone else who might have a comment will chime in.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Mrs. Smith

Well done, as always, Captain Rob.  You and your crew and students are some of the best of us.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

M1bzrk

Good show, Cap'n.  Thanks for all you do, especially keeping Liberty alive south of the border.  Congrats to the new Rifleman.  Good showing in the high and dry.  Well done, especially in these "best" of times!

sleepy

Nice. I think John Adams might be feeling just a bit less regretful for your weekend.

I look forward  to making it there some time.

Captain

Thanks for all the nice words! It was really great to see Colorado open up a little and take a step back toward "post-COVID". This event really reminded me how nice it is to spend time out with fellow Americans, celebrating our heritage and liberty.

And now some more comments about the event.

The first thing I want to highlight is this event's MVP. What! Does an Appleseed event have an MVP? You know we did this weekend . . . JEROME! This guy is already one of the busiest Appleseeders in the Front Range. But after meeting everyone this weekend, we realized most of our shooters had arrived either directly or indirectly as a result of Jerome. He brought his neighbors, who brought some family who brought some friends . . . after playing the "Seven Degrees of Jerome", the final tally was 75%! Six out of eight shooters attended as a result of one this one guy. Big thanks for getting the word out and making a difference!

Jerome working on 210 with his AR.

Captain

Our shooters were all early to the range and after introductions and a safety brief, everyone got busy trying their skill against the Redcoat target. And the Rifleman's journey had begun . . .

Appleseeding is NOT the "only" way to save our country, it's simply one of the better available options. Our mission isn't to make every American an Appleseed volunteer, it's to make every American a Rifleman. ~ Fred (Appleseed Founder)

Captain

As soon as everyone had determined their starting "maximum effective range", we got down to the business of improving. Position, Firing the Shot and Natural Point of Aim were introduced and practiced.

The last picture shows the hot air balloons that were out on Saturday morning to celebrate our Appleseed event! (I mean that could've been the reason they were out . . . ) :)

Captain

The heat convinced us to break early for some lunch and to share a story. It is the story of a people who made every sacrifice so we today enjoy a liberty and prosperity that has never been equaled. While we had spent the morning learning marksmanship, at lunch, we started to learn that riflery is only a small part of being a "Rifleman".

After our break, it was back to the line and some shooting in the standing position. Most of the shooters found they preferred the "standing position" just to get off of the hot shooting mats.

Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. - John Adams

Captain

Later on Saturday afternoon, everyone had learned enough to try our skills on the Appleseed Qualification Test (AQT). It is always a worthy challenge and most shooters will attend several two-day clinics before they're able to achieve the 210 points required to earn their Rifleman's patch. First time Appleseeder Caleb, obviously didn't concern himself with the "averages" and shot a 216 on his first attempt! Well done sir!

There was also a rumor floating around the line that Caleb may be looking to get himself a new hat - time will tell. :)

Captain

Sunday started out even hotter. Most of the day was reviews, drills and AQTs. However, since this was also a rescheduled Patriot's Day event, there was a small ceremony and Appleseed tradition we shared after lunch. We gathered to read the names of those who fell 245 years ago on April 19th, 1775 and we fired a volley of 13 rounds in their honor.

We also had two new instructors at their first Colorado shoot. Both Codefogey and MileHiXJ are already both instructors with the other shooting organizations, but now they are volunteering their time and skills with Appleseed. They both received their Colorado Cadre patches. As active club members of our host range, they also accepted a Project Appleseed flag on behalf of the club.

Whereas most instructors at their "first shoots" will be clearing and calling the line, these guys were already teaching and sharing stories of some "unexpected patriots" from 1775. At this rate, those orange hats will barely be broken in when "new" hats take their place.