News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boulder, CO AAR Boulder Rifle Club Jun 27-28, 2020

Started by Captain, June 28, 2020, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

It was a fantastic Appleseed weekend for Colorado's first event of 2020. After several months of cancelled events, the Boulder Rifle Club definitely went out on a limb to help us make this event a reality during these times of significant restrictions and obstacles in our state. I know all the participants were grateful to have access to such a fantastic range for our weekend of marksmanship and heritage education.

Although our event was limited in number to ensure sufficient social distancing, we had five enthusiastic folks come out and enjoy the weekend as well as Colorado's State Coordinator and myself. We also celebrated this event as a Patriot Day Appleseed to make up for an event we missed, complete with a memorial volley for those patriots who gave everything for our freedom on April 19th, 1775.

Here are a few photos which you can click on to see large and then click again to shrink down.

A motley crew of masked Appleseeders - taken at the end of Day 1.

Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us.

I have some more to post as I get caught up, but I hope anyone else who might have a comment will chime in.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

jmsknapp

Thanks everyone for a great event.  Even though I did not meet the requirements to be a Rifleman I know that with practice and dedication i'll be sure to get that patch the next time I attend an event.

Captain

Hey Jmsknapp! Thanks for coming out and I hope we'll be out together on the range again soon! We're only about a month out from the one-day rimfire KD at the Boulder Rifle Club in July! Also a big thanks for all the help on the BRC end of our event. Have no doubt that the Colorado Appleseeders know how fortunate we are to have the support of such a great organization and range!

Captain

A member of the BRC (Jmsknapp!) agreed to come out extra early on Saturday morning to give us the extra time to set up everything needed to help our event maintain a proper "social distancing". Luminous Rabbit promised not to turn me into the "OCD Police" when I started measuring out our "instructional circle" or painting markers for each shooters position on the firing line. We did manage to have everything ready when the shooters began to show up.

Ready to go

Starting off with Safety!

Redcoats to determine "effective range"

The Regulars are on the road to Lexington!

Everyone was ready for lunch break and Luminous Rabbit shared the story of April 19th, 1775. If apathy, ignorance and laziness are the enemies of liberty, they weren't out on the range with us this past Saturday!

If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Captain

The afternoon brought strong gusty winds and forced our canopy into retreat. That didn't deter our shooters however and they continued to work on new shooting positions and making smooth transitions! Every break was filled with some inspiring piece of our shared heritage of liberty!

If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

I predict there will be no "crouching" among our Appleseeders from this weekend!

Captain

Our shooters were ready to test themselves against the Appleseed Qualification Test (AQT). I think everyone agreed that the AQT and the Rifleman's qualification were challenging goals to our American Marksmanship heritage.

Where danger is, dear mother, there must your son be. Now is no time for any of American's children to shrink from any hazard. I will set her free or die. - Dr. Joseph Warren

Captain

This event also was a special commemoration of Patriot's Day (two months late due to coronavirus). On Sunday at 2 PM we shared an Appleseed tradition together as we read the names of the fallen from April 19th, 1775 and fired a volley in their honor and memory.

Broadsheet and Redcoat

While it's popular to focus on our rights, we should not forget that those rights are balanced with responsibilities. How do we properly honor what these men and women did for us! What is the debt we owe for the blessing of liberty we have received?

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain - that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.~ Abraham Lincoln (Gettysburg Address)

May their sacrifice for our liberty never be forgotten!

AdamD

I was a student at this Appleseed event and it was the first one I have attend. I'd like to say the loudest thank you to Rob, Wayne and the Boulder Rifle Club! It was a great weekend and I intend to tell everyone I can about Appleseed shoots. The history lectures and rifle instruction were outstanding. It was great to see the my targets and the other students targets improving over the two days. Trying to hit Captain Morgan's Shingle was a definite cool part of each day! A super neat part of the event was one of the students was a brand new shooter and new hunter. It was a great satisfaction to see someone choosing to get training, as well as, a new firearm. I have no doubt he will be a great example to his friends and family with his new marksmanship skills and expanded understanding of where our Nation came from. That sums up the whole class I suspect for all of us; we have new skills and a deeper understanding of our shared American heritage that have made us better. Now we, "know very well what we are about!" Thank you Rob and Wayne for teaching us and putting on a safe and fun Appleseed.

Captain

Thanks for the shout out AdamD. I hope we'll see you again . . . and bring someone along! :) (And congrats - see below)

This was a really fun event for us to come out and enjoy some heritage and fellowship. Everyone worked hard and made big improvements. A Rifleman Persists! I also saw two shooters just signed up for future Colorado events! Huzzah!

We did have a shooter who earned his Rifleman's patch at this event with a 219! Even more impressive, this was his very first Appleseed!

Congrats AdamD!

When we talk of reigniting the spirit of liberty in the hearts of today's Americans, there are those who will say it's too late. But I am reminded that a Rifleman doesn't despair or give up when challenges arise . . . and that on April 19th, 1775, those dedicated to the principles of liberty faced far greater odds than we do today.

It is not because things are difficult
that we do not dare.
It is because we do not dare
that they are difficult.
~ Seneca