News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Are you thinking of going to a KD?

Started by jgulso, June 24, 2020, 10:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgulso

I've been to two. The first one was a disaster (regarding how well I did).  The second one was a complete 180, and resulted in me qualifying.  What was the difference between the two? Simple: preparation.  The first time I came in with a rifle that I had never shot further than 100 yards, 3 different ammunition loadings, and no baseline other than a 100 yard zero.

The second time I came with a rifle I'd shot a number of times in varying conditions further than 100 yards with the single and same ammunition load, and verified dope to 600.

There's a lot going on at a KD that isn't going on during a reduced range shoot, and while it's possible to figure all of that stuff out on the fly, it's incredibly more difficult and in my case resulted in chasing what my rifle could do, should do, rather than concentrating on my steady hold factors.

So, "yeah,  duh!" you're thinking.  Not everyone has access to a range, or tools that make getting that data easier like spotting scopes or chronograph, etc, and so the KD for a lot of people, is their first opportunity to stretch their rifles legs.

So that's the point of the post.  I do, and I want to help some fellow riflemen succeed at their next, or first KD.

I'm in Black River Falls, and have a 600 yard range at my disposal, complete with true scale steel KD targets.  I have an excellent spotting scope, Labradar chronograph, Strelok Pro ballistic calculator, everything we need to get baseline data and good dope verified so that at the KD you can concentrate on shooting to the best of your ability.

So this is an open invitation to any fellow riflemen.  And we can do it however you want - if you'd like some help from me figuring that stuff out for your setup, or if you'd just like a couple hours on a 600 yard range but you want to figure it out on your own, or anything in between. Just hit me up with a message or reply in this thread. I'm available pretty much any weekend and even some Fridays with enough notice, and I really don't need much arm twisting to go shoot.
If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

robyinbird

Great post. Wish you weren't so far away or I'd take
You up on the help. We're in Texas
Riflewoman 1/4/2020
                  8/16/2020
Pistoleerâ„¢.     10/3/2020
Morgan's shingle 12/5/2020

Sheepdog87

Ditto. I'm in MD, but love to see the willingness of this community to help others improve their rifleman skills!
--ARW
Morgan's Shingle and Redcoats Cleared 07 MAR 2020
Rifleman 07 MAR 2020
Distinguished Optics 08 MAR 2020
Winterseed 23 JAN 2021

Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
-1 Corinthians 10:31

Ricochet Rabbit

Such a fantastic offer, and serious seventh stepping. Huzzah! Alas, although I work for a company headquatered in Wisconsin, I hardly ever get up there.

The real reason I am commenting is your avatar. I about wet my britches laughing at that thing. Congratulations, you are King of the Internet for the day  :bow:
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage