News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Looking for ideas

Started by AK-84, May 31, 2020, 12:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AK-84

OK fellow patriots, I took over as SC in January and things were a little shaky for me but I felt that I was coming up to speed pretty well and then we get the Covid and everything gets shut down. I feel that I have really stepped in at a really bad time. However I know through perseverance AppleSeed will prevail through this. Here in Alaska we have cancelled many shoots and are still wondering about others. I am wondering how things are going in your state and any ideas that you have on getting events back on track.
In service,
AK-84
Just remember this is a GLORIOUS CAUSE we do.

Peacemaker907

I know that we few that joined you in anchor point,  really enjoyed your time and efforts and that of the other volunteer instructors. I have been shooting my rifle for 25 years and still learned a lot and improved my shooting greatly. Thank you all for your dedication and commitment to instructing us on the history of our country and teaching us not only to be better shooters, but also reminding us to be vigilant in our civic mindedness.  Your rear guard,  peacemaker907.

Gus

Glad you had a good time! 

Gus
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

AF5US

Texas is going pretty strong, all things considered.

Can I ask what is holding your state back?

Is it ranges not wanting to open up?

Is it shooters not wanting to be next to other people?

One of the things that BillJac came up with at the Waco range was to pre-package all supplies (targets, chamber flag, t-shirt etc.) in an individual garbage bag before people arrived.  That saves a lot of time in passing things out.  For Covid, it also allows people to maintain social distancing a little easier if they want to.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

JustKim

We have limited the number of shooters at some events here in Florida, but not all. 

AF5US - I am intrigued by the idea of pre-packaging the chamber flags, t-shirts and especially the targets -- how is that working out for you?
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

GTEngineer

The original post was over a year old, yet in some parts of the country COVID is still having an impact on our ability to run events to its full capacity.  In my state, 2020 starting from March was basically shot all to heck, in-between the governor's lockdowns and our annual summer wildfire/smoke season, we were not able to run a single event for almost the entire year.  Even now with outdoor events allowed, due to the policy of our range hosts, we are still unable to run events at their full capacity.  Instead we are intentionally capping the available slots to 50% capacity to keep the neighbors happy and be compliant to the host range's COVID rules.  There is a definite amount of pent up demand for our events, I've personally had folks who were cancelled/transferred for 4 straight events and finally able to attend one in person when restrictions were lifted.

As a fellow SC, my recommendation to you is to continue reaching out to your volunteers in the state (brief calls, emails, etc), even if you are unable to run events, keep in touch with them and with your regional coordinator.  The last thing you want is for events to resume but you have no volunteers to staff the lines because people have lost interest.  Good luck!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

AF5US

Hadn't noticed that the original post was a year old but I'm glad that something good is coming from this.

Pre-packaging the supplies is going great.  Credit goes to shoot boss "BillJac" for coming up with it, but I've started doing it myself.  For the most part participants in Texas aren't overly concerned about social distancing, etc. on our outdoor ranges.  The beauty for us is that there's a LOT of time saved by not having to pass everything around all the time.  No coming to a central table to pick up targets, no waiting for the quick reference manual is passed around before talking targets etc.

Less time on administrative stuff is more time for instruction, AQTs and history.

Quote from: JustKim on April 25, 2021, 05:52:01 PM
We have limited the number of shooters at some events here in Florida, but not all. 

AF5US - I am intrigued by the idea of pre-packaging the chamber flags, t-shirts and especially the targets -- how is that working out for you?
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)