News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Establishing KD Come Ups

Started by Gus, April 28, 2020, 02:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus

Hello Everyone,

Just thought I'd throw this out there: I'll be at Birchwood this Saturday, the 2nd of May. If you're a member and would like to join me, I'll be on either the A B or C range working with some centerfire rifles and establishing my initial come ups.  I've been doing a ton of reading on this and it looks like a hoot.  I'll have a couple of AR 15s, an AR 10, a Bergara bolt action and the Garand. 

I've got some come-up notes on paper for what the trajectory charts say, but, until the bullets fly to the target, you won't really know how many clicks you'll need on that rear sight.

I haven't done a KD yet and am dying to give one a go.  If you have any tips for me I'd like to hear them!  You know, tips like "when loading, the pointy end goes in first".

Just look for the big ugly maroon colored Dodge.  Hope to see some of you at the range!

Gus
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

FourFans

VERY interesting,, I'll have to see tho
  --FF
"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

CarrollMS

For standard military sight system I suggest you attempt to prove the standard sight adjustment for come-ups and distances printed on the elevation drum.  This sights were calibrated using standard ball ammo and should work for the same loads in commercial ammunition.  You may wish to refer to YouTube and other resources for the type of rifle and procedures to calibrate the elevation drum to your zero.
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

B.C.

Look into and study up on battle sight zero brother. In my opinion scoring on a KD with bsz only out to a mere 400 is the best and easiest option. With bsz there will be no need to fumble around with sights during the event. Zero at 25 then shoot away.
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Gus

Well, last weekend was fun. I wasn't able to get any shooting done on the longer ranges though. C range was closed when we got there and the A & B ranges were jammed up. So my son and I set up on E range and shot some redcoats, some AQTs, (with the 10/22s and his Savage) and I did more chronographing with the centerfire rifles, which were already zeroed at 100.  From there I've done my homework on creating some come up data (for out to 500 yards) for the various calibers and bullet velocities.  Now I just have to get out on the longer ranges and confirm what the trajectory charts indicate.

My kind of 'research'!

Gus
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper