News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What are you reading / watching for fun

Started by Cable___Guy, March 17, 2020, 10:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cable___Guy

With all the news and media oversaturation of the same topic lets try and discuss something different.
I am reading Daniel Morgan - A revolutionary life by , I am going to watch  The Lonesome dove mini series tonight as our movie night in.

Chime in with what you are doing to keep from going stir crazy.

:F
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

ScubaSteve

Me.
I am working in my back yard taking out an old dog pen. Making way for a larger chicken coop.  Then I am going to a St Patrick's day Bikini contest. I know I wont win the contest   >:D but the local businesses are struggling. I will go spend some money so they can pay rent.

Tomorrow is range day. Need to make sure my AR-15 still knows how to shoot.

That and I was never much for rules anyway.  Lakeland is still open for business so come on down, but bring your own toilet paper.  :~

Tennessee Beast

I watched a skateboard video from the 80's that my friend is in. I started watching a documentary on Hulu about religious freedoms. I also am reading the Appleseed Pistol Manual.  At night, I am reading Washington's Crossing by DHF
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Planeman

Well, my world is changing by the minute!  Yesterday, a quick round robin trip to inspect an aircraft at the Orlando Executive Airport. Getting flashbacks to 9/11.  I spent about 3 to 4 hours on the tarmac inspecting my aircraft, without the need for hearing protection, yet, to get onboard and do my job, I had to wear rubber gloves and a mask.  Go figure!

During that 3 or 4 hour stint, I saw ONLY one aircraft come in for a landing and NONE taking off.  I looked to the north at Orlando International and only saw 3 or 4 take off's and landings.  The world is changing indeed...AGAIN!

Now back home again, haven't been to the office in over a week and continuing working from home.  Believe it or not, haven't missed a beat or a phone call!  Of course, the rough part is watching the TV checking in on FOX News every few hours, each time wondering what else are they gonna shut down? 

The hard part now is figuring out what to order from Uber Eats, with what few restaurants still doing business.  The relaxing part of all this mess, is having the time to drop a few lines in my back yard lake, catching a bass or two, and doing catch and release.

There are worse ways of dealing with pandemics!! :boohoo:

"Instead of sitting down satisfied with the efforts we have already made, which is the wish of our enemies, the necessity of the times, now more than ever, calls for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude, and perseverance.."  - Samuel Adams-- HUZZAH!!

pennys dad

In the Book of Isaiah and James
Christian Being and Doing as a primer to James
TC 3-22.9 (FM 3-22.9)
Ryan Cleckner long-range-shooting-handbook

Jerry Hall

Just finished reading Confrontational Politics by H.L. Richardson and Restoring our Republic by Ned Ryun. Currently reading in several reloading manuals to help figure loads for some of my less often used Boom sticks.
Also, in this area of the world it is known that when you are going to indulge in a Corona, you squish a Lime into it first, or it will make you sick... :sb:
Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

stoneknives

Reading "A Narrative Of A Revolutionary Soldier" by Joseph Plumb Martin

Movie "The Racing Scene"  about the car racing team of James Garner 1971

Video Game "World of Tanks" I'm not good, but I don't suck either.

Henry
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

Mark Davis

Not reading, or watching much.

Same ole, looking after the wife, and working on a bullet mold with captive hollow point pins.

Doing some self quarantine with a rifle.

9mm4545

Riding my bicycle is always a good way to de-stress and have some some good clean fun. Exercise and sunlight probably helps, IMO.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

B.C.

"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

TheMenace

Just finished shooting the NRA Highpower Across the Course, Orange Blossom Regional match held all last week. Guns to clean. Bench backed up with reloading projects. Waiting for the OBR Mid-range and F-Class to matches to finish March 25 so I can take the 6.5 Creedmore out for some quality range time. The state has closed state parks so thinking of an alternative to the trailer camping trips we had planned for the first and last weeks of April. Watching the TV series Hunters on Amazon Prime.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Tennessee Beast

Quote from: TheMenace on March 18, 2020, 12:37:50 PM
Just finished shooting the NRA Highpower Across the Course, Orange Blossom Regional match held all last week. Guns to clean. Bench backed up with reloading projects. Waiting for the OBR Mid-range and F-Class to matches to finish March 25 so I can take the 6.5 Creedmore out for some quality range time. The state has closed state parks so thinking of an alternative to the trailer camping trips we had planned for the first and last weeks of April. Watching the TV series Hunters on Amazon Prime.

Our lovely State Parks are open if you feel so inclined.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

TallSteve

We are two of the 40 Million Californians who are under lockdown.  But it does allow for outside exercise.  So we took a new to us shotgun to the range to make sure that it still knows how to shoot.  It does!  :-). Someone before us got it working very very smoothly.

We are watching paid training videos from some of our favorite trainers.
Reading some firearm training books.

The person doing the reading gets their feet rubbed.  :-)

We like to distance ourselves from most of the population anyways, so this is completely okay.

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Don'tFix1776

Quote from: pennys dad on March 17, 2020, 09:05:50 PM

In the Book of Isaiah and James
Christian Being and Doing as a primer to James
TC 3-22.9 (FM 3-22.9)
Ryan Cleckner long-range-shooting-handbook
I appreciate this; good reads indeed.
"In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:6
Rifleman: Alice, TX Shoot 2018
KD Rifleman: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2020
Morgan's Shingle: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2023

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 KJV

Charles McKinley

What is this "fun" you speak of???

The world is shutting down and we are on mandatory overtime.  :).

Doing laundry, assembling a couple parts kits for friends and working around the house.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Cold Warrior

I am extremely thankful that I am able to telework, so still busy, but it does afford time to read.
Just finished "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matt Bracken, next up,
"The Rifleman" by Oliver North, and then "Meditations on THE TRINITY" by A.W. Tozar.
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred

scuzzy

Lord of the Rings trilogy - third time seeing this movie. Like it better each time. Classic good vs evil - the dark against the light.

First watched 'Fellowship of the Ring'

Just fired up 'The Twin Two Towers'.

Next up - 'Return of the King'
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

HammBone

Currently reading: "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger

Next up: "Steely-Eyed Killers" by Daryl Sahli

Just watched: "The Greatest Events of World War 2 in Color" on Netflix (Exceptional)

Watching with just me: "Fortitude" on Amazon Prime Video

Watching with the family: "Criminal Minds" on Netflix

Listening to: "Deep Tracks" or "Yacht Rock" on Sirius XM

Blessed to be working from home for a very supportive company.
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

Marquis de M

While still working full time Tele-Radiology and getting over the hump of possible infection (test result still pending): Tons of COVID-19 articles in medical journals.

Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
5 Live Languages by Gary Chapman
Leadership Lessons from the Age of Fighting Sail by Chris Brady
Leadership and Liberty by Orrin Woodward

Parallel reading has the advantage of progressing faster with less fatigue   O0

BTW: running around like a bandito is now recommended (gee I wonder what facial recognition has to say to that...), wash your hands dammit and use a knife and fork to eat your Pizza, not your hands!!! Didn't I always recommend that Cable_Guy?  :cool2:  **)  :beer:

---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---