News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ohio Appleseed Instructor's Call To Arms

Started by Shep, April 09, 2020, 12:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep

This is an Ohio Appleseed Instructor's call to arms, hands and feet. I know you're all aware of recent supply shortages, however you may not be aware of another shortage behind the scenes; there is a huge need for workers at local food banks. Many food bank workers across the country have been our older retired citizens, many are prime candidates for the Covid-19 to significantly affect their health; therefore large numbers of them are wisely staying at home. However, that leaves a huge gap to be filled. On top of fewer workers, the number of people requesting food has significantly increased; they're seeing about double the number of people needing aid. Also adding to the challenge is a huge change in the system; many food banks are not allowing people inside. Instead volunteer workers fill carts and then place the bagged groceries inside the vehicles while recipients stay inside their cars keeping contact to a minimum.

We're always preaching to our shooters about being part of the community and being involved with what's going on around us, well, here's our chance!  In the past two weeks I've been working alongside National Guard troops, local Police, and the Sherriff's department. There is no better way of getting to know people and build trust, than working shoulder to shoulder with someone for the common good.  I always wear something with the Project Appleseed logo on it, and not surprising, while working we often talk about guns, shooting, and Project Appleseed!

My wife, daughter and I are in the low risk category should we contact the virus, and we don't have those in our care who are at high risk, so we go in and help as much as we can; working at the food bank has become part of our daily routine. If you're in a similar low risk situation, please consider getting in touch with your local food banks and become a helping hand in your community. Wear your Appleseed hats and shirts to let them know Project Appleseed is here to be a part of the solution.

Working in a food pantry may not seem very macho, or heroic, but I believe if Isaac Davis was alive today, and lived in my hometown of Sidney, Ohio, you'd see him at Agape Distribution bagging groceries for his neighbors! 

Shep 
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson