News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bald Knob, AR, AAR - Jan 18-192020

Started by sticksnstones, January 20, 2020, 11:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sticksnstones

It was a great weekend for sharing Liberty and Lead. We had 11 great people that joined us to learn about our early history as Americans and learn about rifle marksmanship. Whil many of the shooters were either returning Appleseeders and Instructors in Training, there were a few that came to join us because they had heard great things about Project Appleseed. Hopefully we didn't disappoint. This time of year, the weather can be tricky. Although early Saturday morning was raining on our way in, the sky's quickly settled and left us with a nice day. Being prepared helped with the brisk winds. QuinnCannon brought wood and a burn barrel. Jayhawker brought tarps to protect us from the brisk winds. rusty gun did some border jumping and joined us in helping instruct the event. He is a great instructor and definitely welcome any time. All of the instructor cadre came from a good distance and ran the weekend well. Bright1 as usual did great with his part of the instruction and, as usual, brought his passion for Appleseed. Enough about the instructors.
John brought his father Matt and both soaked up the info and improved greatly throughout the weekend. John shot a few rifleman scores and although Matt didn't, he knocked on the door and would certainly be able to with another event. Daniel and Jenny were our only youths that attended and they showed that this isn't just an adult event. Daniel shot a rifleman score and Jenny would have several times but was hampered by equipment issues. Jenny was shooting groups to be jealous of. Bill attended and he showed his normal great attitude and perseverance. He shot a riflemans score. QuinnCannonas usual sets the bar high by shooting many scores in the 240's with the highest being a 249. Great job. Terry aka ArcEagle also showed his shooting skills as well by also shooting distinguished rifleman scores. I hate that he wasn't able to make it back for day 2. Nathan also showed that he is a man that knows what he is about. Sure would like to get him back involved in the program. He brought his sweet wife along as an observer. Although I attempted to get her on the line, she did promise that she would next time. Nathan also brought his friend Kyle and he was shooting great on Saturday but was unable to make it back Sunday. I'm sure that another event would see him earning a patch.  Erik decided to come as an attendee, so that he could attempt to earn a patch with a center fire. Even though he was hindered a little by his optics at the 25m distance, he shot well. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone and if I did, please forgive my oldtimers. The weekend had a few new riflemen, many requalificatiins and several distinguished patches being handed out. All of the instructor cadre got an opportunity to shoot and showed that they have skills. Great job by all. Great attendees and a great cadre, is the reason that I love this program so much
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Pics
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

Quinncannon

I always look forward to these events, and always feel refreshed when it's over! I'm already looking forward to another event!

The instruction was excellent, the practice was spot on, enabling the shooters to move to the firing line and put the instruction, along with their skill and put it to the test!

I saw many good scores fired to my left and to my right, I was glad to witness my son fire multiple Rifleman scores, his best of the day a 233! Pretty darn good for not shooting a rifle since last summer! My good friend, ArcEagle14 shot good scores as well, but could only be there the first day. I witnessed Jayhawker shoot a 246, an awesome score, I believe that is a personal best for him! I was shooting next to Rustygun, when he shot a 246 on Rapidfire, I think that is the best rapid fire score I have personally witnessed! It's a good feeling, being on the firing line with "men who know what they are about".

Listening to the events of 19 April 1775 is inspiring as always and I often think of those men who stood against tyranny.

My rifles and I are ready for the next event.
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Jayhawker

I brought tarps to shield us from the winds and propane heaters. It didn't go as well as planned. I probably won't try to do that again.

What did work extremely well was a 55 gal steel drum with a few perforation near the base, brought by Quinncannon along with a trailer load of perfectly seasoned red oak. The air mix was perfect and it was smokeless. It would have passed the EPA standards for a low emission wood stove.

It kept us warm without smoking us out.

sticksnstones

Jayhawkers  instructing was great and it wouldn't surprise me if he were our next 250 shooter in Arkansas. Bright1 always adds some additional stuff to history that makes me strive to learn more. They are both a true asset as instructors, very skilled shooters and glad to be part of a team with them. I look forward to any event that either of them are present at.
Thomas Paine

9mm4545

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

bright1

Pics

Rustygun

A really good event at Bald Knob! My first time in AR working with the AR crew and it won't be my last. A lot of really good shooting and a great group of shooters. Jenny was so close so many times. What a heartbreaker! I'm sure she will get her patch next shoot. John shot very well and seems like he will be back and was inquiring about a KD. Didn't get a pic of him getting his patch though. Matt did well as did Kyle. I appreciate all the hospitality I was shown by the AR cadre and would be glad to have any of you all come to TN. Here are a few pics I got.

Getting set up

The shoot boss shares some info to get started

Shooters getting down to business

Hot lunch!

Jayhawker shares some history under a good looking sky

I get an AR patch. Very cool

bright1

Posting some pics   

Tennessee Beast

Just as an FYI, I will be "border raiding" soon to get one of those neat patches.  I will reciprocate if you come to TN.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

bright1

Tennessee Beast, you are welcome anytime! It was indeed a fantastic weekend in Bald Knob. Great to see old friends and make some new ones! Rustygun, thanks for making it over. Really enjoyed working with you again. Sticksnstones and Jayhawker, always a pleasure!  Quincannon, thanks for providing some heat and some inspirational shooting!  Eric, hope to see you in Hot Springs in April. Same to John and Matt. Your perseverance was inspiring. Kyle, wish you could have made it back on Sunday. You're definitely a good shooter! Nathan, good shooting! Hope to get Heidi involved in the program, too! Bill and Terry, hope you can make it down in April, too. Great to see Daniel and Jenny again!  And a big thanks to VETS Shooting Center for their support of Appleseed. Looking forward to the next event there!