News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed at Bald Knob, Vets Shooting Center 18-19 January 2020

Started by Quinncannon, January 18, 2020, 10:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinncannon

What a fine first day of Appleseed at Bald Knob's Vets Shooting Center! Eleven shooters on the line, soaked up history and rifle marksmanship training, even with rain in the morning and high wind all during the day! By the end of the day, quite a few riflemen re-qualified, with some excellent scores!

Tomorrow, weather is going to be cold, with strong NW winds, possible Winterseed, looking forward to it!
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Quinncannon

Just arrived home from Appleseed in Bald Knob, second day was even better! I always feel energized by attending an Appleseed, spending time with like minded people, listening to stories of liberty and taking in rifle marksmanship training!

I witnessed some good scores fired by quite a few people, with Rifleman patches being awarded for re-qualification and to new Riflemen too!

Some Distinguished patches were awarded as well, to three Riflemen!

Huzzahh to all!

Quinncannon, out.

"This we"ll defend"

Jayhawker

Two thumbs up for bringing the burn barrel. I've seen them in movies. I have friends that used to gather around one every Wednesday night. I had stuff to do on Thursdays, so this was my first time experiencing the magic of a burn barrel. You got the perforations perfect so that there was essentially not smoke. I was busy, and I'm sorry that I didn't praise you at the time, but I did notice and was amazed.

This business of stoving up a fire, and controlling the smoke, has deep roots that go back to the American Revolution.

We've all heard about Ben Franklin's stove. The original, was a cast iron thing that sat inside a fireplace, and it significantly improved the fireplace's efficiency.
https://www.thoughtco.com/scientific-achievements-of-benjamin-franklin-1991821

On the Treasonous British sympathizer side of the conflict, they had Count Rumford, who fled back to England during the American Revolution to escape being tarred and feathered or worse. Like Prince Harry is going to have to do if he wants to eat, the Count took up real work. He fixed people's smoking fireplaces, making them so they didn't smoke and he also made them much more efficient at heating a room. Later Count Rumford wrote a series of classic scientific papers on radiant heat, buoyancy, turbulence, laminar air flow and stream lining, while explaining how to build a better fireplace. 
http://rumford.com/chimneyfireplaces1.html

Quinncannon

Thanks for the compliment on the burn barrel, have used them a lot! One other thing, if you ever want to make one, make sure to perforate the very bottom as well, it helps to draw air and creates a rocket stove effect!

By the way, thanks for bringing all of those tarps!
"This we"ll defend"

bright1

Yessir, the tarps and barrel made the weekend much more pleasant!
Thanks guys! Great to see everyone pulling together for the benefit of the program!