News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

San Antonio, TX AAR - January 10-11, 2020

Started by GenX Minuteman, January 15, 2020, 11:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GenX Minuteman

Wow!!!!!  What an amazing way to kick off 2020!!!!!  Excellent shooters, excellent weather, great friends and tons of quality marksmanship skills teaching!!!  We were very fortunate in San Antonio this past weekend to have a very eager group of shooters who wanted to get down to business!  We got dialed in quick enough to actually get two full AQTs completed on the first day.  Boy did we get lucky too!  The sky ripped open and dumped a ton of rain just right after closing on the first day.  This made for a nice mucky mess on the second day, but Rifleman persist!!!, so it was not a problem.  We were all walking around with a combination of shell casings and mud on the bottom of our shoes which was about 4-5" thick (bonus Internet points if you can point out the shotgun shell located in the muddy mess on the bottom of one the instructor's shoe in the pictures below, hahahahahaha).  After the sun came out and started to dry up the ground, our shooters scores kept going up, up, and up!!!  It resulted in Jon making our first Rifleman's score of 216 (his first Appleseed event, and he was using iron sights - impressive)!  Our second Rifleman, Josh, was vetted later in the afternoon with a solid score of 210 (also, his first Appleseed event)!  Josh, I must apologize, we were not able to get a picture of your patch acceptance.  We were all so excited for you it looks like no one properly captured the moment with a camera, sorry man.  Crystal was close in making the mark this time with a high score of 206!  She has improved dramatically in just a short amount of time and will most certainly crush the 210 mark next time!  Also, she has been inclined to also help us in our Appleseed mission by accepting a Blue Hat!!!!  Thank you Crystal - TXBootGirl!!!!!! 

We hope everyone had a great time and learned why we are so passionate about spreading the word of Appleseed.  As we mentioned during our history discussions, freedom lost is so difficult to recover!

Hope to see everyone out there on our line again sometime soon, as a shooter or maybe as new Orange Hats (Jon and Josh, I'm talking to you guys, wink-wink).

Many Thanks to Tim - Pale Rider, Jim - Ghostring, Rob - Captain (who came all the way from Colorado to help!!!! Thank you man, so much!!!), Jerry - Twinkle Toes, Chris - White Paladin, and Marshall - Don'tFix1776 for helping make this shoot a great success!!!  Tim was kind enough to bring out his new Christmas gift, a photo drone, and take some good aerial pictures for us.  Rob was kind enough to bring his super special KIDD rifle and let us shoot it.  Now we are all super jealous and figuring out how we can make more room in the gunsafe for one more 10/22, hahahahaha!

Chad Stovell - GenX Minuteman

Mrs. Smith

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Thrashmetalwingman

What an awesome first event! Thanks to the whole Appleseed crew that came to help. You were able to take the foundations I learned growing up and turn out another rifleman in less then 24 hours. I haven't shut up about Project Appleseed since the event, and I think I may have convinced a few people to sign up for the next one in Feb. I plan to be there myself, the next step is 230.
- the Rifleman formally known as Jon
Rifleman since 1/11/20

GenX Minuteman

Jon,

Very happy you came out and had such a great time!  230 is well within your grasp!  You have all the fundamentals down pat so now it all comes down to Focus - a.) your eye on the front sight and b.) keeping the sights on the target, hahahahahahaha!  Hope to see you out there in February!

Chad - GenX Minuteman

Don'tFix1776

Jon,
I really urge you to try out the KD in New Braunfels as well... it really expands beyond the basics and the course of fire is really engaging as well. There is one in March on the 14th and 15th, I highly recommend it.
Rifleman: Alice, TX Shoot 2018
KD Rifleman: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2020
Morgan's Shingle: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2023

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 KJV

TXBootGirl

It was a terrific event!  I love it more each time!!!  Being so close, it felt like this  :wb: :wb: :wb:  Congrats to the 2 new riflemen, you both were very impressive shooters this weekend :beer:  Thank you to Chad, Tim, Chris, Rob, Jim, Jerry and Marshall for all the help and advice.  Tim, Love these drone shots!!!!!!!!  Thanks for taking them, super cool.  The high up one kicked off my vertigo again :'(.  I'm excited to be a blue hat and look forward to my journey in Appleseed :1luvu :1luvu :1luvu  See you all at the KD in March with my new rifle :--- :--- :--- :snipersmi :snipersmi :snipersmi  Rob, thank you for coming all the way from Colorado to shoot with us, I loved your enthusiasm and energy, come back soon!

Crystal

scuzzy

Dang - sounds like y'all had toooo much fun. That's probably illegal now isn't it?

TXBootGirl - love your enthusiasm and energy too! Thanks for coming on board.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Jerry Hall

Congratulations to all our newly minted Riflemen. TxBootGirl, Thanks for steppin up!
Jerry

PS: I do dig the aerial photos...
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Don'tFix1776

Rifleman: Alice, TX Shoot 2018
KD Rifleman: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2020
Morgan's Shingle: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2023

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 KJV

Thrashmetalwingman

I plan to be there in Feb. How can I help with set up or the process? I'd love to work towards an orange hat. As for the KD that's my goal. I enjoy the small bore stuff at 25 yards but I really want to learn how to reach out and touch things.  :snipersmi Does everyone use bolt action for the KD? I have a custom 8mm mauser I built off of a bubba'd k98 and I would love to stretch its legs out.
Rifleman since 1/11/20

Captain

Hey Thrashmetalwingman,

I know the other guys will jump in here soon but I'll take a stab at your question. The KD event will use the same course of fire that you saw at the 25m rifle clinic last weekend, meaning you will work 4 stages consisting of slow fire standing, rapid fire sitting/kneeling, rapid fire prone, and slow fire prone. The biggest difference is that instead of targets sized to simulate a 20 inch target at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards, you will have an actual full-sized 20 inch target placed at those yardages. The most common rifles used tend to be AR-15 variants and they work well because the ammunition is relatively affordable and the low recoil is easy to tolerate for two long days of shooting. A bolt rifle is definitely doable, but it is an added challenge during, for instance, the 55 second seated stage. Shooters are encouraged to bring what they have although I know many ranges will have ammunition or caliber restrictions. I didn't see any restrictions listed under the event information for New Braunfels.

As far as taking an orange hat, the biggest requirement is a desire to learn and help. The technical requirement is shoot a rifleman qualifying score and attend two Appleseed events. At your next event, just let the shoot boss know you are interested. As far as preparation, the handout you received from GenX Minuteman is an excellent resource. Instructors need to be able to give the "Appleseed Safety Rules" and "Making a Rifle Safe" verbatim, so you could memorize that for starters. A good book to learn more of the history is Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fischer. Most of the history in a two day clinic gets a start from that book. Also, keep an eye on the schedule for an Instructor's Boot Camp, it's a pretty fun weekend to help new instructors get quickly up to speed (and experienced instructors improve).

Might be more than you were looking for but I hope it helps. If you have more questions, post away and don't be afraid to use the private message (PM) system here on the forum.

I'm excited to see you out at an event.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

What a fantastic event in San Antonio and a great way to kick off the New Year! We had great weather both days and an enthusiastic group of instructors and shooters. When I passed the Statue of Liberty holding an AR-15, I knew I was in the right place. This was a Friday/Saturday event and it was great to see all the people who made the time to show up to hear some tales of liberty and learn our shared heritage of rifle marksmanship.

I'm posting a couple of pictures I took. You can click on them to see them at a larger size and then click again to shrink down. 

You know you're in the right place when you see this . . .

Uniquely American Liberty

This range had a carry class on Saturday with 60 students . . . it was packed! At times it was difficult to hear ourselves with all the shooting happening in other bays. My kind of range!

Captain

Did I mention this event started on a non-holiday Friday?! The clouds were ominous all day but the rain would hold off until after Friday's redcoat at the end of day 1.

Setting up, Texas flag in the distance

Six steps of making the shot 

Lunch, the Regulars march to Lexington

And then to Concord and the North Bridge 

Captain

By the end of the second day, line was had two shooters score Rifleman and one who made AQT after AQT only a couple of shots away from the mark. More exciting is we may soon see some new instructors in Texas Hill Country. Our Blue Hat is only waiting on a solid Rifleman score to switch over to orange. Our two new Rifleman have the rare problem that this was both of their first Appleseed! Both have expressed an interest in helping out other shooters as soon as they get one more event under their belts!

First Appleseed . . . with irons!

Exactly 210 . . .
water from the North Bridge 

Rifleman on his first Appleseed

I think the best thing about Appleseed is the people, and this shoot was no exception. I'm glad I had the opportunity to participate and I hope to come back to San Antonio again soon! The drive back to Colorado gave me some time to think about all the blessings of Liberty we enjoy and how important it is that we work to keep them.

PaleRider

All,
It truly was a great event, and I loved seeing Rob come all the way from CO! Chad did a fantastic job as shoot boss, and I can't wait to see Jon and/or Josh come back and take an orange hat! Crystal, you're ohhhhhh so close, and we'll get you there! Thrashmetalwingman, The line is full in February for our next 25m event (hope you got signed up), but we do have plenty of spaces left for the KD event in March.

As Rob said, we shoot full distance with one target down at the 400yd mark. Then we move back and forth from 100 to 400 doing the same course of fire as you did for the 25m event. The only difference is the caliber of rifle and you won't have different targets in stages 2-4. There's only one.

Central Texas Silueta Assoc. (CTSA), where we hold our KDs, allows all calibers but no steel penetrators, e.g. green tip. You will need to use centerfire to have any real shot at scoring rifleman, though. Rimfire simply has too much drop. Most shooters use .223/5.56 semiautos as bolt actions can present a challenge. I always tell people to do it the "easy" way first and then challenge yourself later. It saves a lot of frustration. If you need to borrow an AR-15, we've got you covered!

If you have any questions, let me know!
Tim
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

sleepy

Looks like a good time had by all!

Can't wait to start doing some shoots up here; winter slows things down a bit.

A-lister

Wow it looks like it was a great event! Be glad that I did not come, I was diagnosed with the flu! Ugh  :-[ I will see yall next time. Way to go Chad on running a fine event. Congrats to our new Riflemen and volunteers! Looking forward to meeting you on the line soon.
We in America do not have government by the majority-we have government by the majority who participate......All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson