News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Shipping costs

Started by Snow Snake, January 04, 2020, 01:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snow Snake

Ok, the holidays are over and Amazon continues to grow. I wonder how they can offer either free shipping or for just a few bucks while our Appleseed store has to have a minimum and still charge over $14(priority USPS).Why?
Let's revisit this with the thought of joining the current internet sales boom.               :slap:
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

GTEngineer

Quote from: Snow Snake on January 04, 2020, 01:49:07 PM
Ok, the holidays are over and Amazon continues to grow. I wonder how they can offer either free shipping or for just a few bucks while our Appleseed store has to have a minimum and still charge over $14(priority USPS).Why?
Let's revisit this with the thought of joining the current internet sales boom.               :slap:

Most likely economies of scale, as well as Amazon requiring their sellers who sell items that qualify for "prime" to subsidize the shipping cost through the charges that Amazon charges their sellers to sell through them.  Amazon isn't making $ on shipping, they are making $ on all of the other stuff (web services, apps, video, music, selling your personal information, etc.).  I get that we are used to free shipping over a certain small amount through countless other online merchants, but as big as Project Appleseed is, we are a super small fish compared to the likes of almost any other online merchant that primarily sells online.  Its going to be hard to get that down without moving some serious quantities constantly.

One thought I'd throw out there is that we look into the costs involved of being an amazon seller, see if it makes any sense there.  One concern is that it would be very difficult to separate our products from the countless other "me too" products (shooting mats, slings, etc) out there on the amazon marketplace, we may end up losing $.

edit:
This is where I'd heavily promote the use of amazon smile and set RWVA as the charity of choice.  It doesn't cost RWVA or you a penny and amazon donates to the program.  Spread it far and wide and the more people we get to set RWVA as the recipient on their amazon smile profile, the higher the donation.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleerâ„¢:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleerâ„¢ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

Snow Snake

:yeahthat:
Yes,I understand and agree with much of what you say. Sticking only with USPS as our only shipper,would not First Class Package Service fit many of our members needs? How often is Priority service really needed? Lets offer choices.
Many orders are impulse and don't meet the $25 minimum. They are left waiting and ultimately  cancelled. Who in retail has minimums? I can't think of any.Lets be member friendly.
   Ken                           
  Ps: I too use the Amazon smile program
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

Beardo

I went to order a few items from the store, over the $25 min, and my shipping cost was almost as much as the items.
This is ridiculous and will not order any new items until this is fixed.  #)
There many different options that are less.
Beardo
KD Rifleman 10-11-2020
Pistoleerâ„¢  2021

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place, oblige it to control itself." James Madison 2-8-1788

Guns&Hoses

I realize this thread is a few years old, but it hasn't gotten any better. I just placed an order for a battle road map and two nylon flags, and shipping was over $25. To be blunt, that's ridiculous and not reflective of actual shipping cost.
"Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die; and none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy of life and the duty of life."
T Roosevelt