News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Dorr, MI KD November 2-3, 2019

Started by SteelThunder, November 04, 2019, 09:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

We had rain.........we had a high of 39.....we had hail........we had sleet.......we had snow.........we had mixed rain and snow.......we had gusting winds.........the only thing we didn't have (although there is some argument about it) is locusts and frogs.

That said, I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend outdoors than with fine Americans honing their marksmanship out to 400 yards (and eventually to 500!!).  Congratulations to John, Mike, Pete, David, Rob, Kevin, Jenna, Chris E, Chris and Kris (and your shoot boss is named Kris also...weird).  Also big thanks to the South Kent Sportsman's Club for hosting and the fantastic instructor crew of Oz, Super Trooper, Rangerat, Fidget and our awesome Blue Hat team -- ML, Sir Kay, Lancelot and merlin33.

All students showed up with their 25 or 100 yard zeros and we started Saturday shooting at a 100 yard "Morgan's Shingle".  Jenna was the high score with 80% hits on the shingle, making her a Morgan's (Wo)man.  We quickly reviewed marksmanship fundamentals and then started our getting our 100/200/300/400 come ups.  KD instruction on come ups and dealing with wind, and we got in 2 full distance AQTs.  John showed what he was about with a "Hits Count" Rifleman score of 41 followed by a 43.  Congrats!

On Sunday, we kicked it off with John accepting an Orange Hat...congrats and welcome!  After chasing the turkeys off the range, we shot single, cold bore shots at Morgan's Steel Shingle.  40% of our shooters met that challenge...no mean feat with a single shot and everyone watching.  We pounded out 4 total KDAQTs during the day and Mike qualified multiple times.  Chris followed up getting multiple quals and then Kevin showed everyone how it was done with a 46 on the next to last AQT.  In between, we performed a range estimation exercise on scaled objects, with the team of David and Pete getting best score (4 of 5 objects within 20% distance).  At the breaks, our instructors gave some RFH (Rifleman Focused History) with the "Spirit of the Rifleman in the Three Strikes", "Ethan Allen", "Timothy Murphy" and "The Overmoutain Men at King's Mountain".  The day ended with calculating come ups to 500 and firing on a D-Target steel.  Many hits later I'd estimate ~60-70% hits, with most misses being near misses.  Lots of smiles at the end of that.

:pics:

Thanks again for spending your weekend with us.  It was a blast.

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

slapshot

Despite the weather on Saturday. Was great to be on the line shooting and learning more. Thank you to all the instructors. For a great job. Can not wait till next year to work some shoots with all of you.

Dobber

Thanks a bunch to Steel, Super, and Oz specifically for your direct instruction and to all of the instructor team in general for braving the elements with us mere mortals trying to earn our patches.  Also my fellow classmates who demonstrated a dedication to improvement, perseverance, and patience.  It was truly an awesome weekend.  Between the travel, the weather, failing quals, the red-coat loving hotel, breaking my car window to get my rifle Sunday AM, and failing more quals - I can't think of any one high point....but I can honestly say I can't wait to do 90% of that again.  You are all truly a wonderful group of people that I hope to run into over and over in my Appleseed experiences.  As for that other 10% - I hope my vehicle comes away unharmed from here forward.  I was wrong about that $100 replacement fee.  HAHA!  Until we meet again - Cheers!
-Dobber
We The People...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
(Frequently Attributed to Edmund Burke)

Dobber

I thought of the one high point.  Being one of the guinea pigs for New History was DEFINITELY a high point.  Kudos to you storytellers - a gift in its own right.
-Dobber
We The People...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
(Frequently Attributed to Edmund Burke)

tomahawk

Thank you to the Appleseed Crew for providing a informative and safe event. The history stories were fascinating and presented with much passion. Thanks to South Kent Sportsman's Club for allowing us to use their range. It was fun to hang out with the many great people that I met. The marksmanship instruction was fantastic.

Earning the KD Rifleman Patch was a challenge. I felt as if I was definitely tested.  :F :snipersmi

SteelThunder

Quote from: Dobber on November 04, 2019, 08:19:07 PM
I thought of the one high point.  Being one of the guinea pigs for New History was DEFINITELY a high point.  Kudos to you storytellers - a gift in its own right.

Rarely have I seen someone so dedicated to the shooting sports they would bust in their own truck window to get access to their rifle to shoot KD.  I salute you sir.

Absolute pleasure to have you out for the weekend.  Can't wait to do it again.

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Sir Kay

It was a great shoot! The weather was cold but the shooting was HOT! Congrats to John for making the first rifleman of the weekend! And stepping up and taking an orange hat! I only wish I could have been there for the entire weekend! Great job to all the shooters for all their had work and a big WOO HOO to all that earned their winter seed badge!
�It is better to know something about everything then everything about something�
― Blaise Pascal

Oz

A great weekend with incredibly positive people.  I was very happy to see such good shooting in challenging conditions.  At every Appleseed, the shooters and the instructors come together through the course of the weekend, and it seems to me that tends to be most of all when the going is a little tougher.  Folks who bring water to share, loan a coat or a set of gloves, and just generally look out for each other.  It makes each event special.  I hope to see each of you again. 

John, thank you for taking a hat and helping out.  You won't regret it.  And you'll learn so much more about marksmanship and history as you learn to teach it. 

Snow pellets on November 3, and me without my Type IV de-icing fluid.   :slap:

I hope to see each of you on the line again!  Oz / John
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."