News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

El Paso (Ft. Bliss), TX KD - 10/19-20 2019 AAR

Started by Ghostring, October 22, 2019, 11:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostring

Visitors to El Paso can sometimes be overwhelmed by this small town with a big heart - our military is welcomed with open arms here! - and Ft. Bliss Rod and Gun Club has definitely opened it's arms to Project Appleseed!  A brief ride to the right of the clubhouse brings you to Range 9, the long-distance rifle range, with a bluff as a backstop more than 600 yards distant.  The flat terrain, with it's small clumps of mesquite and comfortable sandy surface, is practically custom-made for this kind of shooting. 

In fact, if you listen very closely you can almost hear the desert calling: "Want to lay prone and poke precision holes in a target 400 yards distant?  Well, I'm your huckleberry!"

Saturday began bright and early with our crew setting 10 target stands into two-foot deep cemented pipes 400 yards downrange.  A work party consisting of Jerry and his El Paso crew had toiled the previous week setting the pipes into place. They stands were awesome: even buried they stood over 7 feet tall - and that was before the 16"x16" (4 MOA@400!) number plate was set on top.  We began our instruction with a very impressive presentation on trajectory from Chris, who used a flexible fiberglass rod to demonstrate the arc of a bullet from the barrel. Hadn't seen that before!  Each of the students had done their homework, and all had a good starting point for their come-ups/adjustments for the course, so we proceeded to check rifles at 25m, then get down to the 100 yard firing line.

Our day then consisted of getting and checking and rechecking our scope settings for each of the firing positions (100, 200, 300 and 400 yards), shooting, measuring, adjusting -- until the dope for each rifle and ammunition combination was correct for that shooter - then we'd shoot the AQT at that range and continue to the next.  Every shooter got to know how their equipment performed, or sometimes how it failed to perform -- and they got to know it well!  History presentations on Ephraim Brank and Daniel Boone were given during lunch, and then we continued with the exercise.  By the end of the day Saturday, every shooter had exact adjustments noted for his or her rifle, and we were ready to pack up and call it a day.

Sunday brought us a Ranging exercise, where we were taught how to use our scopes to range distant targets.  After calibrating our scopes, w number of targets (standard-size Texas pumpkins, a tombstone, skeleton and a large flying bat -- can you tell it's October?) were placed on the range, and our shooters had to work out the apparent size of the items in MOA/MILs as well as how far away they were!  It was a fun start to the day, and after a stirring history lesson on Fort Ticonderoga, and an amazing Ninja-like presentation on Benedict Arnold by Justin, we started the course and shot another 4 AQTs before finally retiring.  The weather on Sunday was interesting, to say the least, as a front had blown in and caused a bit of mayhem.  Our 600 yard steel, while hanging, was invisible due to sand -- and, at times, you would be challenged to see more than 50 yards downrange!  Man, the sand got everywhere!!  Sometimes, though, challenges bring a bright side.  In that vein - fortunately - Sunday also brought us some impressive practice in shooting with wind, so that was a good way to see how to adjust our aim to counter a full-value wind at distance! :)

Our day finished, we packed up the target stands and brought down the shelters. It was hard to say goodbye, but nice thinking about the next event, where we could once again enjoy all that this range was able to give to us - the fun, the challenge, the hospitality -- but most of all the camaraderie of friends new and old.

Our event saw some significant improvement in our shooters, some of whom had very little experience shooting a center-fire rifle.  Juan Carlos, Heidi, Gabe and Justin finished the day tired but with excellent scores - and we saw three of our shooters earn their Rifleman patch!  O.L stepped up and was able to shoot his KD rifleman score on Saturday, Traci's 205 was shot Sunday as the wind started really picking up, and Ron really earned his 202 in significant wind on the last AQT of the day!  Huzzah, and more!!!

Pics to follow shortly :)

Jim (GR)
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Jerry Hall

Howdy All,
Yeah we had a heck of a time, can't wait to see the pic's! :F
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

oladcock

You guys did a GREAT job! Jerry, you and your crew went above and beyond setting up that range. Thanks Ghostring for running the show. I look forward to shooting there again...
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Ghostring

We've got pictures!
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Captain

Dangit! I missed out in Texas . . . I'm thinking those are the best looking target stands / backers ever seen at a KD. West Texas is knocking it out!
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

WhitePaladin

This looked like a fun shoot in challenging weather conditions!  I would have loved doing this. 

-Chris

A-lister

We in America do not have government by the majority-we have government by the majority who participate......All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

scuzzy

Really nice shoot.

And congrats Traci & Ron on the shooting.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Grandpa Chuckie

I don't believe the wind was blowing......at least not very hard.....look at all those smiling faces!!! And we don't see any sand in those teeth!!     ;).   Great event!!! Definitely you guys had a lot of fun!! Thanks for sharing the comments & photos. :snipersmi
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

"No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear." - Edmund Burke

TaosGlock

You guys did a ton of work planning for this event and running it. And especially the work days to build backers and digging holes for them That really shows commitment.  That line looked great!  Keep up the great relations with Ft. Bliss.
That place is special to me too. I took my orange hat there and got a red one there too.
You guys are the essence of liberty.
Huzzah to your dedication to our glorious cause.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Mrs. Smith

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Jerry Hall

Thanks All,
We had the receiver's for the target stands planted before 1:PM on the work day(I rented an auger, Rob, Traci and I busted it out, Andy showed up to give us immoral support). The target backers took me 2 days to build.
And yes this is commitment... :snipersmi  :F  :snipersmi
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

M1bzrk

Wow! Great frames, Great pics& obviously great time.
Well done, Patriots.