News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hot Springs, AR, Mountain Valley Sportsman Association KD shoot

Started by 9mm4545, October 20, 2019, 11:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

"Like the warm embrace from an old friend" describes the feel of this first ever KD shoot at a premier range for Appleseed in Hot Springs. While small in attendance, the spirit and energy was huge and we had a very successful event.

After enjoying the experience of the roller coaster road getting back into the area containing the KD range, it was apparent that much work had gone into making this an truly exceptional rifle range. From one firing point we had both paper and steel targets from 100 to 400 yards. A road downrange allowed vehicular access to the targets, which is a real plus when examining targets hundreds of yards away. Literally next door we had a huge three sided bay with ample space for a very long 25 meter line. With a setup that allowed both long distance and 25 meters to be shot at the same time we could work on any problem and both advanced and beginners were well pleased.

On Saturday morning we began with the usual safety briefing before starting off on the 25 meter range. As this was an advanced class with experienced shooters, the basics review was short and to the point before we got into checking zeros and group sizes. A quick 25M AQT allowed some warming up and function checking before we walked the short distance to the KD line. With good 25 meter zeros we proceeded directly to firing at 300 yards to fine tune the 25 meter zero. Once everyone was properly zeroed at 300 yards, we adjusted our NPOA to the most magnificent steel targets I have ever seen and fired stage three of the AQT. About these targets: they were of AR-400 steel one inch (!) thick and hung from heavy steel rebar supports. Nothing short of a nuke could touch these! As an added bonus the backs of the distant targets were fitted with an electronic flasher that would visibly signal a hit on the steel. After ringing the 300 yard steel we turned our attention to the 100 yard paper and obtained the data to account for the new distance. Once the come-up (come-down?) was noted, again we shifted NPOA and one shooter at a time knocked out stage one on steel using a BSZ method of sighting. As almost everyone was using an AR style platform the figuring was simple and the hits were fast and accurate. This process of shooting paper for data and steel for points was repeated at 200 and 400 yards. Once everyone had data the paper targets were no longer used and steel was the order of the day using a "hits count" method of scoring. Even though we could only have one shooter on the line at a time, without having to go downrange to paste and score meant a full distance AQT was quickly accomplished. We would have one shooter firing the stage while the next shooter was in prep and there was minimal time between each shooter on the line. By the end of the weekend we had revealed three new long distance qualified Riflemen and one re-qualified Rifleman. Two others were only a few points away and will no doubt qualify soon. The last two students, Chuck and Judy were first time Appleseeders but excellent shooters and quick learners and made quite credible showings at both the 25M and the KD range. Chuck and Judy may be new to Appleseed but they are already on my most-favored-people list as folks who strongly support the program and really step up to help out. The amazing steel targets were constructed by Chuck, and Judy stepped up to take a Blue Hat at the end of the weekend. Three Huzzahs to you both! Ted and Jim, our range hosts, both went above and beyond in making this a phenomenal shoot. It will be a very short time before you both are wearing out that lovely steel. Ammo issues plagued both of you and, once that is sorted out, you should have smooth sailing. Despite those troubles, you both shot extremely well only to find frustration in the end. It do happen and I do feel your pain.

Lastly, this couldn't have happened without the support of Sticks and Bright1. Arkansas is fortunate to have such excellent instructors and it is a real pleasure working shoots with you. I just wish it was more often. Congratulations on earning your KD patches! That Appleseed stuff really does work! As always, Rambo Granny was quietly and efficiently teaching, coaching, and encouraging. What you did with Judy in particular was a credit to your teaching skills. Thanks! Dave showed uncommon ability and shot convincing KD scores more than once. We tell people to use all the time allowed, especially on the longer distance stages. You are the only shooter I can remember who actually does that. Darn fine shooting, sir!

Since this was almost exclusively a group of previous Appleseeders, we decided to expose a little history not usually covered in the regular weekend event. On Saturday I told about Gen. John Stark and his role in colonial America. The Battle of Bennington and the Battle of Bunker Hill were discussed and how both set the stage for pivotal events later in our War for Independence. On Sunday Rambo Granny took us into the world of Patrick Henry and the events and thinking that led to an armed rebellion that exploded on April 19, 1775.

I do believe that some photos were taken so feel free to share. It was a glorious shoot on a beautiful fall weekend with friends old and new; what's not to like? Huzzah!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

rambo granny

Indeed new friends and old both suggesting we move to Hot Springs. Safe to say the group  learned and had much fun at a most welcoming range. Also humbling to see previous students moving up the ranks. With Randy joining Sticks at the state coordinator helm of the great state of Arkansas, we look forward to seeing the program grow too.😁
An honor to have spent a great weekend with all of you!
Here's a slightly > 1 min music video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9z22mw3cr4ogv7/AS%20Hot%20Springs%2010.20-21.2919%20.MOV?dl=0
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

bright1

What a fantastic weekend!  9mm4545 & Rambo Granny - it was so good to see you again!  Once again, I was in awe of your skills as instructors & story tellers!  It was your telling of the history at my first Appleseed that brought me back to my second Appleseed and subsequent involvement in the program - Thank you!  Look forward to seeing you both again soon!  Thanks to everyone in attendance for their contributions of time, skill & material that were all necessary components of this weekend's success.  It was an honor sharing the line with each and every one of you!  Judy, you are fantastic!  Thanks for taking a blue hat - looking forward to working with you at future events!  Quincannon, we all wish you could have made it down to join us - you were missed!  But hope to see you soon in Bald Knob for a Winterseed!  It'll be cold soon enough.
bright1

bright1

Jayhawker

It is always a special Appleseed when run by 9mm4545 and Rambo Granny. I always look foreward to Rambo Granny's marksmanship instruction. She gave me some very helpfulshooting tips again, and I already thought that I knew everything. 9mm4545 was also very helpful. The history telling by these two was outstanding. This was an advanced class so we got the advanced history lesson and it was great.

It couldn't have happened without Chuck's steel targets. Judy was also awesome and we're glad that she took a blue hat.

I want to especially thank Jim for bringing his golf cart. It's a long walk to the end of a 400 yard range.

sticksnstones

Like Jayhawker said, it's always a true honor and privilege to have the instruction and visit by Rambo Granny and 9mm4545. This weekend was truly what Appleseed is about, the air was full of the smell of patriotism. Everyone, instructors included, came with teachable attitudes and very attentive. The strangers to the event this weekend weren't strangers for long and now part of our big family. Congrats to twostepper61 for stepping up to help the program by taking a BlueHat. Also her shooting continuously improvered. I have a feeling that there's no quit in that lady.  Her husband, Thors_hammer51 was a pleasure to spend the weekend with and your shooting was great for your first Appleseed
Thanks to all that made this a memorable weekend. Didn't hurt that I'm now officially KD qualified
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine