News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Camp Perry Pop-Up Shoot

Started by Cadence, October 17, 2019, 01:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadence

All,
The Friends of Camp Perry are hosting another pop-up shoot on Nov. 9, 2019

For those of you that haven't tried it, you are shooting at targets from 50 yds. to 300 yds. You get a total of 40 targets with a lot of them being 2 or 3 targets at different distances all at the same time. Exposure time of targets varies according to distance and number of targets exposed. Really a LOT of fun and testing of skills to quickly identify targets and get hits! HITS COUNT!  :---

They usually also run a 100 yd. match at an adjacent range using the electronic targets, but I don't see it listed on their flyer this year.

Below is a link where you can obtain additional information and download the flyer and registration form.

http://www.friendsofcampperry.org/Events.html

Hope to see some fellow Appleseeders there.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

CountZero

Sounds interesting! I might be able to make it up for this. What's this like? I get the idea of pop up target, are they steel though? How many rounds are you allowed per target? Are you prone or various positions? Do they run several shooters at once? Oh, how about food?

Cadence

Quote from: CountZero on October 22, 2019, 10:46:14 AM
Sounds interesting! I might be able to make it up for this. What's this like? I get the idea of pop up target, are they steel though? How many rounds are you allowed per target? Are you prone or various positions? Do they run several shooters at once? Oh, how about food?

Targets are what the National Guard uses. I haven't had the opportunity to examine them up close but surmise they are some sort of rubber/synthetic compound.

You can fire as many rounds as you want. As I said, there are 40 target exposures with several being multiple targets (2-3 at different distances) on the same exposure. No penalty for firing more than one round at a target. Targets fall when hit or exposure time has elapsed.

They have elevated wooden Platforms to fire from with wooden stairs so you can shoot prone from the platform, sit on the steps and use the platform, or stand. They also have rubber blocks you can use for support, so like shooting off a bench.

They have multiple firing points (15-20?) so they shoot in relays. You can sign up for multiple relays so if you screw up you can fire again - just pay the relay fee.

They did have food the last time I was there. Coffee, hot dogs, etc.

Suggest you Google "Friends of Camp Perry" and check out their web site. I know thy have pictures posted from past events that might help answer some of your questions.

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

CountZero

Burnett

Sounds like it is "based on" the Army qualification.
Actually, sounds like they are letting you shoot on the record fire range and more or less do what you want instead of following the course of fire.
If so, the idea is 40 rounds; shoot as many as you want at any one target but then you'll be short later.
I do not know what the current course of fire is.
I do know that there is a different one from when I was in.
At that time it was two 20 round magazines; first from foxhole supported, second from prone unsupported.
Most target "exposures" were single but there were like 5 or 6 through the whole thing that were double.
I also know that there is another new course that will be starting to be used soon.

Cadence

Might be similar to the course you took, but you are not limited to 40 rounds for the course of fire. As long as you can reload, you can keep firing.

I tried it with a Garand a few years ago but lost several target exposures due to the multiple re-loads.There are some relatively long wait times between come targets which gives you an opportunity to re-load.

All scoring is done electronically so they post results relatively quickly.
~ Samuel Adams

CountZero

I put in for some vacation around this event so I should be good to go! It looks like fun, just hoping it isn't raining that weekend. I should get some extra steel targets so I can prop some up at 200 and 300 to switch between without adjusting the dials. Was out not too long ago checking zero, I'll post some paper at 100 and 200 next time to see where the rounds impact with a 300 zero so I am not winging it at the event. Looking forward to it

Cadence

Below is text from an e-mail I received from the Friends of CAmp Perry concerning next weekend's event.

All,
Just a reminder that our fall rifle pop-up shoot is Saturday November 9th.  Registration starts at 0800 with shooting commencing at 0900.
Food and beverages will be available.  A downloadable registration form enterable in Adobe Reader is available at:

http://friendsofcampperry.org/PopUpRegistrationForm110919.pdf

I think we have one more gun that we will be raffling off.
See you there!

Mark Podany
Vice President
mpodany@friendsofcampperry.org
~ Samuel Adams

Hasty Sling

This sounds like a great event. Can't go - my shooting opportunities are extremely limited. Perhaps some future event. In any case, I'd love it if any Appleseed attendees would post their own mini AARs here. I know that the Friends of Camp Perry post pics of the event, but uniquely Appleseed insights would be valuable, too.

Thanks,

Cesar A. Cruz

Birdman

I really wanted to do this again....it has been a few years. I highly recommend it to everyone. I am in Guam visiting my son and family, so a bit far for me this time. I am pretty sure it is 50 meters to 300 meters, and that might change things for your pre-shoot sighting in. I remember I zeroed at 328 yds which worked out well for me. Good luck all attending!

CountZero

Thanks Cadence for posting this, it was a lot of fun and good seeing you out there! Looking at my score sheet one or two of those shots I took on the broken flopping target at 200 connected and counted! Later rounds it was working, my dad's second try it came up and stayed up, both of my rounds it just lifted up then immediately fell again so I had to be ready for a very fast 200 yard shot. Pretty fun, dad got 34 of 40 and I got 37/40 on both tries. I was pretty surprised, sometimes had a pretty good wind on my first round so I was aiming left on the 300 in order to connect. Very cool setup, on my list for 2020 is to get another 10" plate so I can setup both 200 and 300 yard steel to play with battle sight zero.

Thanks again! We enjoyed it

CountZero

Few pics and one of the score sheets. I was on lane 11, pretty neat how they do it. I included my target from day before getting a zero in the 30 degree cold. I had to spin another 1 moa from the last time I was out when it was 75 degrees. Was really happy with that group at 300 yards, best 5 round group I've ever shot. Just ignore that one to the right.. haha

Cadence

Glad to see CountZero and his dad at the shoot.  O0 Hope you all had a good time. Weather was cold and windy, but not as bad as some past years. This event is all about BSZ and engaging targets at varying distances (25m-300m) quickly.

I shot relay 5 (lane 7) and relay 7 (lane 5). My first relay I shot a 38 out of a possible 40. I had a magazine issue when my rifle didn't pick-up the first round after my mag change and I missed 2 targets while trying to rectify the issue.

Had a similar issue on my second relay, only worse. There are certain breaks in the target exposure sequence to allow you to reload. I lost counts on the targets and chose a poor time for the mag change. While changing mags, I heard other shooters engaging targets so I hurried and didn't get the mag completely seated.  :wb:  Gun went click anf thought I had another failure to feed, racked the charging handle again and heard another click. Then I saw the mag laying on the platform. By the time I got everything corrected, I had missed 5 target exposures. and ended up with a 34 out of 40.

Can't wait for next year!!

Here are my pics from last Saturday's Snow Flake Shoot.

~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

More Pictures - tried to get shots of different target distances
~ Samuel Adams