News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Laramie Unknown Distance Shoot Nov 2-3 2019...Not a KD; information for shooters

Started by sleepy, September 22, 2019, 09:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepy

This IS NOT a KD, despite how it is listed in EVENTS.

This is an Unknown Distance shoot, which is an advanced class firing out to >1200m in mountainous terrain. This is a serious test of rifleman and equipment.

Only previous 2-day Appleseed (25m) marksmanship clinic attendees should sign up.

Only centerfire rifles are to be used at this event. Optics (with plenty of elevation available) (range-finding and BCD reticule) on the rifle are strongly encouraged, as is your "go-to rifle" with a longer range capability ( >.556 / >20" barrel / bipod).

.556 with heavier bullets might work, but are still light given the anticipated winds. Larger calibers / heavier bullets are encouraged.
…or bring your M-4orgery with red-dot. Just keep your expectations realistic.

This will be a long range event with lessons in Target Detection and Range Estimation using MILS/MOA.

Please bring, along with gear appropriate for potential weather and normal gear you'd bring to an Appleseed:

A] a non-rifle mounted optic (binos, monocular, spotting scope, etc); range-finding reticule a plus

B] a calculator;

C] a notebook and pens; colored pens are nice but not required

D] we will be walking in rough terrain, keep it light; everything you need to spot & shoot should be RUCKSACK portable and NOT require access to your vehicle for the day;

E] plenty of water and a packable lunch for two days; hydration pack with water-bottle backup recommended; snacks recommended

F] good boots for mountain hiking (good tread and ankle support);

G] clothing appropriate for rain / snow / sun / wind; expect no shelter; expect strong winds

H] lensatic compass (tritium not required);

I] 300 rds of ammo should be more than sufficient. Please make it from one case-lot for optimal consistency. Make sure it is packed in something waterproof.

Ruler and protractor are helpful, but not required. A clipboard or writing surface is smart, but not required.

Laser rangefinders are nice to verify your findings, but will not be allowed for the "work" component.

I'm sure there's more. We will add more postings as needed.

Questions? PM me or longrifle; he's the shoot boss.

scuzzy

Text as above added. The original PM said to schedule an unknown KD. That's all.

https://goappleseednow.org/?event=laramie-wy-unknown-distance-appleseed-november-2-3-2019

Details need to be included in a PM in order to get added to a registration page.

There are also limitation to 'categories' we have and would require more than a few changes so it has to be billed as a KD on the website.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mercedes

Sleepy,

Do you hold this event more than once a year?  Padraic and I are interested but we have a sold out event and can't attend.

Debbie

scuzzy

Quote from: Mercedes on September 24, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
Do you hold this event more than once a year?  Padraic and I are interested but we have a sold out event and can't attend.

Yeah - an 'unknown' KD sounds like a lot of fun. Plus you get to put your range estimation skills, or lack of, to use.

I know the TaosGlock does those in New Mexico. So there's only two places to do that now.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mercedes

Corvette

Just added something to my bucket list.  Not possible this year but boy would I love to make the trip.  I have a scoped, loaded M1A that is asking to go and stretch its legs.  Maybe next year.

Corvette, Ohio
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

sleepy

My apologies; I posted and ran, not realizing people responded.

I'll get back to each of you via PM.