News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Not exactly Appleseed-focussed, but...

Started by nyrasgt, December 19, 2019, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyrasgt

'Tis the season for coming attractions, which we've/you've earned...

1.  CMP Daisy 853C single-pump .177 cal air rifle, adj sights, loop sling, and, if you ask, 5 round (still have to pump every time) rubbber magazines...$107 ea + 14.95 shipping...shoot anywhere you have 10 meters/33ft - only remaining inexpensive rifle practice...buy TWO - we've used for sub-12 y.o. youth shooters, as can't by law fire cartridge rifles in NYS...

2.  CMP still has M1 .30-06 and .308 Garands...though not nearly as inexpensive as they used to be... and

3.  Glock has announced that they're releasing, on 1-20-20, their first .22 semi-auto, the Glock 44...4" bbl, 10 rd mag, ambidextrous slide release... "target" bbl, price iffy, perhaps around $325 but not sure...

4.  Later in 2020 the instructor purchase programs will be released - will advise.

Want a tongue-in-cheek essay for the holidays?  Look up "The Yellow Ribbon."  Succinct, very dry humor...

Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

CarrollMS

I commend the CMP 853 to all. Mine is an ROTC US Govt refurbish and a great introduction to 10-meter shooting. I compete with it in 3-position CMP postal matches quarterly and use it several times a week (up to daily in standing position) to help keep my skills up and practice a little self-prescribed "Group Therapy"  The only thing it lacks is rapid-fire. Because you have to pump the rifle for each shot, and cock it (load if using a straight 853), one should reconfirm their NPOA before each shot.  I started this journey with a 10-meter air rifle shooting as an ROTC instructor years ago.  Two years ago I picked up a 10-meter pistol and shoot the 60-shot postal quarterly also.  The cost on these quarterly postal matches is only $8.00 per event, so, that is $16 per quarter for both pistol and sporter to help support a very good CMP program. I recommend this rifle and CMP postal matches to all instructors as a fun way to keep the edge.  If you get good enough with the 853 which should hold the 7-ring, you might like to move up to the AIR ARMS T200 .177 AIR RIFLE (by CZ) at $525 on the CMP site.
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/
http://thecmp.org/air/cmp-aces-postal/
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

TrapperPete

in our 4-H shooting sports program we are suing all 853 rifles , they are very durable some on more than 15 seasons of use , accurate and easy to rebuild just order up parts from daisy at reasonable prices , a new seal kit is about 8 dollars.

I have started storing them with a pump of air in the safe and it has reduced the number of seals I replace each year  to almost none , they dry out before they shoot out in most cases.

I oil the foam 1 drop , pump and fire into a wad of rags on the floor 3 times . leave the action open safety on and put a pump on it and place it in the safe.

we had 10 and I just ordered 4 more when we ran a group buy ,no savings on the riffle in a group buy but it made it easy for the members and you save on shipping when getting 2 rifles at a time.

I was excited that 14 youth ordered rifles , we should have no shortage of air rifles on the line this spring.

CarrollMS

Thanks TrapperPete for the tip on clearing the oil from the chamber by shooting into a rag after lubing the felt pump pad. I had not thought of that, but noticed oil in the chamber after maintenance.
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200