News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Florida Statistical Data

Started by Cable___Guy, July 31, 2019, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cable___Guy

Florida Cadre,
I have been compiling some statistical data on all our shoots from 2013 up to last weekend.
I will be posting This data over the next couple of days.  Stats and Data can be dry, but tracking our trends is another way ensure the success of project Appleseed in Florida.

Stats that we will be delving into included.

Median age of shooters per range per year.  (Later to include trends per range of when most youth register. )

Avg number of shooters per range per year and month.

Percentage of capacity filled per range per year ( useful to know if we are booking to many or not enough events at each particular range.)

Total number of shoots and shooters per year broken down by range and month.

If all this data is useful to anyone , I am happy to do it, if not then it just keeps excel skills sharp.

Cable Guy
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Cable___Guy

Florida Cadre, here is our first set of data.
The median age of shooters per range per year, As you can see our age range has not moved much , in fact of we add everything from 2013 to now we get 42 years old.
The yellow highlights indicate ranges that trend younger then the average for the state. This is usually ranges on base or hosting junior shooting events.
What is alarming is the number or ranges has gone down each year.
If anyone wants the back end data let me know.  :F
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

B.C.

"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

stoneknives

Nice Work

Statistic, statistic and damned statistics. That's the issue with numbers in the raw without context. Most would say by looking at them that the only people going to a Appleseed are all middle-aged folks.

But if we consider that the median age of the population of the US is 38.2 years and then consider that we would have to skew the age upward because we have probably 0 in the 0 to 7 year range as shooters at Appleseed. When you add that context 42 hits pretty much dead center as far as demographics of our shooters in Florida.

H
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

Minutemom

Thanks for doing this Todd.  For those who don't know, the median means that half the data points are above the median, and half are below.  So in other words, if the median is 45 years old, half the shooters are older than 45, and half are younger.  Being a scientist, I know that this doesn't necessarily show the whole picture.  When compiling scientific data, it's standard practice to include the "whiskers" with the data, which shows you the range which falls within a certain parameter, for example between 30 and 70 percent.  This gives a more meaningful picture of your actual range of data and throws out the outliers.  Now Todd, I am not asking you to do this  ;D.  I just thought I'd throw that out there for us science/math nerds.  I'm guessing that the whiskers would be pretty long on our data, since we seem to get a good mix of young through old shooters.

As Henry said, statistics, statistics, and damned statistics.
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

scuzzy

Now I know who I'm gonna hit up to do National Stats for 2019 in Jan of 2020.

From what I hear Cable_Guy even does Pivot Tables.  >:D
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Cable___Guy

Happy to help however I can, Scuzzy count me in.  :F
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Cable___Guy

Continuing on our data mining.I will be posting each Ranges attendance from 2018 to current per event. 
Heavy Hitter Palm Bay is up first.

Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Cable___Guy

Moving on, Next up we have two ranges that are only 60 miles apart. Events at both ranges are run by the same Master Instructor (our very own Phenery) Both ranges have covered lines and are in great shape.
The major difference is Clearwater is 22lr only. Attendance at Hernando has spiked while Clearwater has gone down.

Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Guntuckian

FYI.  We have essentially 6 distinct types of Appleseeds at Palm Bay.  Small bore (rimfire) 25m only, mixed rimfire/center fire 25m, KD <=400-600 yards, private Appleseeds, Ladyseeds, and Pistol only events.  These all have distinctly different typical numbers of attendees and vibes.  Different appeals for different types of folks.

Clearwater was both rimfire and Centerfire, last I knew.  Has this changed?  The biggest differentiators there are the military and civilian aircraft taking off and landing.  History storytelling becomes exceedingly difficult!
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Cable___Guy

Gary,
I agree on the noise, I have told strikes at full volume just to be heard over the public line, when the 737's fly over you just have to pause and breathe.
The WAC has been 22lr only for Appleseed since at least 2014. I have 14 signed up to sweat there buts off in Orlando this week with me, we just haven't been able to get a good turn out to a quality range like the wac in a while. Not for lack of trying either. Trey had KawGirl repost triflods at every gunshop in town.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

malabar

Quote from: stoneknives on August 02, 2019, 11:50:40 AM
Nice Work

Statistic, statistic and damned statistics. That's the issue with numbers in the raw without context. Most would say by looking at them that the only people going to a Appleseed are all middle-aged folks.

But if we consider that the median age of the population of the US is 38.2 years and then consider that we would have to skew the age upward because we have probably 0 in the 0 to 7 year range as shooters at Appleseed. When you add that context 42 hits pretty much dead center as far as demographics of our shooters in Florida.

H

good analysis.
thanks

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Cable___Guy

Hollywood , oh Hollywood.
If you have not been there - go. Covered lines and  avery short people friendly range , concrete headache inducers and steel I beams for anyone over 5 foot 9.

HRPC is a 22lr only range for Appleseed just like the WAC in our earlier clearwater post.  It has generally been 1 to 2 events per year (planeman is doing a spectacular job moving that number , 2 one day shoots booked for this year already :F) The real difference is the membership at HRPC is required to compete to maintain membership status.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Cable___Guy

Myakka,
Appleseed has a long history with this range.
I included more historical data on this one. If we simply took the Avg of shooters per event we would get just over 9.
The real data shows  big swings and trends.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

TheMenace

The events at Palm Bay with five or fewer attendees were special events attended primarily by instructors who signed up via TIPS. Instructor Development and KD
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Cable___Guy

Two more ranges for today.
Gainesville, On a good upward trend

and Bunnell, still proving that a 4/19 shoot will always be a big draw.

Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Planeman

Just doing what needs to be done for the price and urgency of liberty! 

As an FYI, we recently received approval from Hollywood Rifle & Pistol Club, in addition to our regular two 2-day events each year, we've been given the 5th Saturday's of each year (4-Saturdays each year), designated for Appleseed events.  We currently have two, 1-day events scheduled before year end.  August 31st and November 2nd.  We look forward to many more one-day events mixed with Instructor Development days as we build our local cadre.

As many of you know, drumNgun and I recently signed up a new range for Appleseed. It's now Appleseed's most southern range in the country at the Homestead Training Center, Homestead, Florida.  We have our first 2-day event scheduled for December 7 & 8, with 11 of the 20 student slots already filled!  Huzzah!!

-Joe

"Instead of sitting down satisfied with the efforts we have already made, which is the wish of our enemies, the necessity of the times, now more than ever, calls for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude, and perseverance.."  - Samuel Adams-- HUZZAH!!

Cable___Guy

Here we have Saint Augustine.
Appleseed has had 2 different ranges in this city in recent past. The Saltwater Shooters club has been great to us recently, they even built a new berm just for Appleseed.

Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

PHenry

Cable___Guy - u never cease to amaze sir.  :bow:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata