News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Instructor KD & mini-IBC, RWVA Range, Ramseur NC August 9-11 2019

Started by Monkey, August 14, 2019, 01:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkey

Last weekend, 10 patriot Appleseed Instructors from 3 states, some coming from as much as 6 hours away, converged on the Home Range for a weekend of Known Distance instruction and application.  To top it off, Sunday morning was spent as a mini-IBC, with a strong focus on teaching positions with simplicity and precision.

Day 1 started in the club house, where we discussed Known Distance topics at a deeper level than you would get during a normal 2-day AS event.  From the club house, the team moved to the 25M range, where students quickly verified their 25M zeros and moved on to the KD range.  It was satisfying to watch the students see, many for the first time, confirmation of a 300 yard far zero - delivered with a blissful "ping" as bullets met steel.  The remainder of the morning was spent on data collection, developing holdover data or refining come-up data for each student's rifle.

Adjuring for lunch, the team received their first dose of IBC instruction, focusing on instructing basics and good instructor attributes.

The remainder of the day was spent on Hits Count AQTs with steel, with students working in shooter/spotter pairs.  That evening, the team converged on one of Ramseur's finest Mexican restaurants for dinner, discussion, and fellowship.

Day 2 brought more singing steel, with students re-verifying zeros and continuing with AQTs.  At the request of several students, paper AQTs were posted in the afternoon.  Using these paper targets brought a different set of data to the students, in that they could see their groupings (versus missing paint splats), as well as give them a sense of what a 1-2MOA grouping at longer ranges actually looks like.

Day 3 came with a shift in gears.  As the range stays cold on Sundays until 1200, we shifted to the mini-IBC, taking the opportunity to break into groups and practice teaching the prone, seated, and standing positions.  Polonius and The Wolfhound were instrumental in making sure that both our seasoned instructors as well as our brand new IITs were getting solid sets & reps in a no-threat, collaborative learning environment.

Shifting back to KD, noontime saw the students on the firing line executing a non-firing ranging exercise.  Using height/width data provided to them, and estimating size in MOA, students calculated the range of objects spread throughout the range (to include a fabled Native American creature known as "Michael").

After another round of zero verification, the students were split between wanting to run steel "hits count" AQTs vs paper "full points" AQTs.

So, in typical New England fashion, we did both.

In between sets of AQTs, the students were afforded the opportunity to present 1 cold bore shot on a silhouette at 500 yards.  Five remaining students.  Five takers.

Five shots on target.

After three AQTs, we topped off the three days of instruction and fellowship with a KD Redcoat - 3 hits on targets at all 4 ranges, and a shingle shot on an 8 inch gong at approximately 260 yards.

At the end of the event, our qualifiers:

Catch-10-22 - 41/50, 46/50
DeadAnt - 41/50, 42/50, 212
Alex (DeadAnt's Handler and chauffer) - 207, 212
Bolt Gun Bill - 41/50 
The Wolfhound - 214
Bad Eye - 208

A hearty HUZZAH to Laertes, a late-comer on Sunday, who earned a Distinguished tab with a 47/50 with irons!

Lastly, I thank Polonius, Rimbo, and Vaportrace for giving me the help I didn't realize I needed executing this event.

As of this writing, I am absolutely exhausted; thus pictures to follow.  Despite running on less than 4 hours of sleep Sunday night after my transit home, I can honestly say that this was the most rewarding Project Appleseed event in which I've ever participated.   

A very humble "Thank You" to those who attended this event and made it as fun as it was.  I hope you got as much out of it as I did, and I look forward to running this event again with you in the near future.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Sgt-at-Arms

Kenneth Dawyne Pirtle
"Sgt-at-Arms"

"we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Captain

That really sounds like it was a cool event . . . KD/IBC. Fun!
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Tennessee Beast

Wow!  It sounds like everyone had a blast.   :---  I can hardly wait until the next time I go there.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Monkey

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on August 14, 2019, 10:18:23 AM
Wow!  It sounds like everyone had a blast.   :---  I can hardly wait until the next time I go there.

I honestly think it was more fun than the RBC we worked earlier this year.  I'm working on some cool ideas for next time... ;)

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Catch-10-22

I would concur with Monkey to say this was the most rewarding shooting event experience I have had since my earliest Appleseeds that introduced me to the program, both in terms of putting instruction into practice as well as getting to spend a ton of quality time with fine Americans.

I wrote up a waaaayyy too long AAR with a few pictures for the MDShooters Forum where we advertise AS events: https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5637210&postcount=75

BrotherPilot

Dead Ant and Alex had a GREAT time.  I'm looking forward to the next one, as well.  So far I'm 0 for 3 getting to instructor shoots.  :wb:  REALLY looking forward to the next one.

Dead Ant and the Handler are both plotting how to do better next time.  THanks again to all those who put this shoot on., I really appreciate the effort.

Jay
VA State Coordinator
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."  ―Samuel Adams

Monkey

Quote from: BrotherPilot on August 15, 2019, 10:45:22 AM
Dead Ant and Alex had a GREAT time.  I'm looking forward to the next one, as well.  So far I'm 0 for 3 getting to instructor shoots.  :wb:  REALLY looking forward to the next one.

Dead Ant and the Handler are both plotting how to do better next time.  THanks again to all those who put this shoot on., I really appreciate the effort.

They are fun to watch together - super competitive... ;D

― Hyman G. Rickover

DeadAnt

Quote from: Monkey on August 15, 2019, 01:11:51 PM
Quote from: BrotherPilot on August 15, 2019, 10:45:22 AM

They are fun to watch together - super competitive... ;D
I can hear you  ;D

The Wolfhound

Some pics from the event:

The Wolfhound

and more:

The Wolfhound

and still more:

The Wolfhound

still more pics:

PHenry

QuoteThat evening, the team converged on one of Ramseur's finest Mexican restaurants for dinner, discussion, and fellowship.

On my second trip up I went looking for a Mexican restaurant on the Garmin (tells u how long ago that were). It took me to a "La Tienda". Well, I speak a little and I knew that meant store - not eatery, but hey, the "girl in the box" cain't be wrong right? Headed in the the sweet young lady up front took one look at the old guy, smiled and pointed to two swinging "saloon" doors. Inside were tables and a hand-writ menu - all in Spanish. I had to do the ordering. Food was excellent. Been several times since. I learnt there that if you want a real Coke, ya have to go to Mexico. Evidently they are dumb enough to allow Coca Cola to make soda there with high fructose corn syrup instead of real sugar!

Sounds like a stellar event. I wish I coulda been there!  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

The Wolfhound

This would seem to be a different restaurant.  Food was good but the AC had issues.  Burrito Brothers

PHenry

My favorite place is in Ramseur. A family place on a road that angles off the main drag. I think I have a menu - Sherry's Family Restaurant. Great people, good food and low prices. Even Fred likes it. :)
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

The Wolfhound

Though one of the Carolinians could confirm, I believe they are almost adjacent to one another.  I remember Sherry's from RAMSEUR 2017! and the parking lot looked familiar.