News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Carroll, Ohio July 13&14, 2019

Started by Corvette, July 14, 2019, 10:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Well we had another great Appleseed at the Central Ohio Coon Hunters Club in Carroll, Ohio this weekend. Twenty one motivated shooters showed up Saturday morning ready to work on their Marksmanship skills. The weather was sunny and hot as we started the weekend. 

Once all the shooters had arrived, we completed the normal welcome and moved to the safety briefing. Rifles were brought to the line and the Saturday morning Red Coats we shot.  Results showed we had potential. We had 11 of 21 has three rounds at 100,  8 at 200 only 3 at 300,  2 at 400,. But 4 joined Daniel Morgan.  This was a good start to the weekend.

We moved to the steady hold factors in prone, followed by the six steps and NPOA instructions.  Related drills were shot and the morning moved on to shooting sighting groups and an IMC presentation.  We broke for lunch where we enjoyed a First Strike. Shooters returned to the line after lunch to continue their work.

Final sights adjustments were made and confirmation groups were shot

Next steady hold instructions in seated and standing were presented and were followed by related drills. The Second Strike was presented by Cadence at our afternoon break and we returned to the line for a practice AQT.

The day ended with the Saturday afternoon Red Coat which showed some improvement.  We had 14 of 18 at 100,  8 at 200, 6 at 300, 2 at 400, and 7 joined Daniel Morgan. And, Terry recorded our first cleared Red Coat for the weekend.

This was followed by a Third Strike from Corvette and a call to action to all to get active in their local communities.

Sunday dawned sunny and hot for day two. The morning Red Coat was shot and the results continued to improve.  We had 14 of 18 at 100, 12 at 200, 5 at 300 and 7 joined Daniel Morgan. We then completed several NPOA/Rifleman's cadence drills and moved on to the AQT's.

The shooters were up to the challenge.  On our first AQT, we made two new Riflemen (Nick with a 221 and Mark with a 212).  On the second AQT, we added another when Chris posted a 210 and received his baptism with water from the North Bridge.

After a KD lecture at lunch, we were back on the line for more AQT's.  We made another Rifleman, Keith-215, in the afternoon but we had another group of shooters that were knocking on the door. Deb posted three scores above 200 but below the magic 210. Michelle posted back to back 208's. So close.

The group finished the day with a the Sunday Red Coat and the improvement was outstanding.

We had 14 of 16 at 100, 12 at 200, 7 at 300, 5 at 400, 5 joined Daniel Morgan and we had 2 cleared Red Coats.  Congrats to Michelle and Roger.

Our thanks to the Central Ohio Coon Hunters for hosting our event and my thanks to Cadence, Sir Bob, Lozen, Chevyshooter, Chewie, and Cactus Jack for helping with this shoot.  It was a pleasure to work with  each and every one of you.
We look forward to our next event at COCH.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

To our Carroll shooters, post your pics.

Corvette

:pics:
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

The Gruff

To all of the Appleseed instructors from this Appleseed-newb: Thanks again for the excellent weekend! Really had my 'lack-of-knowledge-regarding-heritage' awakening, and now I'm jonesin' for more. Outstanding instruction on all counts, be it marksmanship or heritage. You WILL see more of me, hopefully soon. Thank you for putting up with my sense of humor.

This photo may also belong in the "Ohio has a new Shoot Boss, Huzzah"
I hate trolls. I have been known to defend the freedom and liberty of one's right to cross a bridge.

I've been told I've a mind like a steel trap: a bit rusty, and while under tension, a misstep may produce a severed limb.

Cadence

I don't think anyone could have asked for a better weekend. Although the weather was hot and muggy, we had a sold-out shoot, Passed out and Orange Hat (Congratulations Drew!  O0 ) and made 4 new riflemen with several more knocking on the door.

Saturday morning showed that this group was anxious to prove their mettle with a half dozen shooters showing up at the range by 7:30 am.

The Saturday morning Redcoat showed we had plenty of work to do and we got right to work with the steady hold factors for prone, Six Steps, NPOA, and IMC. After lunch we continued with the steady hold factors from sitting and standing. All shooters came with that all important "Teachable Attitude" and the Saturday PM Redcoat showed vast improvement with Terry clearing the target. HUZZAH!

Sunday started by the shooters showing us that  the "Rifle Fairy" had visited them during the night to sprinkle gunpowder in their ear to help them process the instruction and retain the skills they honed from Saturday by showing improvement on the Sunday AM Redcoat.

After a few NPOA drills, we started on the AQT grind and very soon people began to show us that they knew very well what they were about with Nick, Mark, Chris and Keith getting their patch. We also had several people knocking on the door with high 190's and 200's scores. We ended the day with 2 shooters clearing the Sunday PM Redcoat - Congratulations to Melissa and Roger.

A few special shout outs:
To Melissa - who by far was our most improved shooter of the weekend, who started out struggling a bit but finished strong by posting back to back 208 scores on the last 2 AQT's and rebounded by clearing the Sunday PM Redcoat!

To Buddy - Thanks for the Saturday night range maintenance - keeping the weeds down that obscured stage 4 of your practice AQT. You know you could have posted your target a little higher! >:D

To Cactus Jack and his wife - many thanks for the Saturday night foil dinner. It was delicious. O0

Finally, thanks to the Central Ohio Coon Hunters Club for being such gracious hosts putting on a fabulous Appleseed shoot. I can't wait to come back. Did someone say "Winterseed"?  ::)

Also a big thank-you to Shoot Boss Corvette and all my fellow instructors: Sir Bob, Lozen, Chewy, Chevyshooter and Cactus Jack for a fun and safe shoot. Looking forward to working with everyone again.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

Pictures to prove it actually happened:
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

More Pictures
~ Samuel Adams

Corvette

Cadence,

Thanks for all the great pics. 

Corvette

Headgames

Thank you again to all of the instructors for a great weekend. I learned a lot more than I could have imagined and have been talking non stop to all of my buddies about how great the program is. I can not wait to do it again, and focus on getting the rest of the goblins out of my head.
Fantastic time and an even better group of people.

THANK YOU!!!! :beer:

Cadence

Quote from: Headgames on July 16, 2019, 08:17:49 PM
Thank you again to all of the instructors for a great weekend. I learned a lot more than I could have imagined and have been talking non stop to all of my buddies about how great the program is. I can not wait to do it again, and focus on getting the rest of the goblins out of my head.
Fantastic time and an even better group of people.

THANK YOU!!!! :beer:

Remember - Since you already have the Rifleman patch, you only need to attend one more Appleseed before taking an orange hat!   >:D
~ Samuel Adams

Corvette

Also, to our new Riflemen, you can challenge your skills further by signing up for one of our KD events and trying the AQT at full distance.  We have an event coming at Marion Ohio and at New Philly, Ohio.  Come join us and see if you can do it at distance.

Corvette