News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Gillette, WY July 6-7, 2019

Started by The Homemaker, July 08, 2019, 10:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Homemaker

:pics:
I reduced the size of these for easier posting. If anyone wants a higher resolution image for personal use let me know and I can get that to you.
The Homemaker, IT3

Mark Davis

Wow! shade and mowed grass!
Is that really a shooting range?

sleepy

Great pics; thank you, Crystal!

What a shoot!

We had fourteen shooters on the line; a full line according to the list. All fourteen showed up both days and left smiling.

We had eight shooters score Rifleman, and handed out seven patches.

The reason for not handing out the eighth is because the shooter in question was ten, and too small to handle her big rifle, so she fired prone and off of a rest. Savannah, the young lady of whom we speak, cleared the redcoat once, and scored Rifleman at least twice. But her father, a former Appleseed instructor, has high standards, and preferred to hold off on the patch until after she fires positions and transitions…next year!

We had many of the remaining shooters knocking at the door with scores in the 200s, including some heartbreaking 209s.

We had three good Riflemen step up and accept a hat. After the shoot we discovered a fourth, who will accept a hat at the beginning of his next shoot.

These results aren't a fluke, but the results of hard work on the part of many people.

Most of these shooters are Appleseed returnees, veterans of multiple shoots. They put in their time, and have or will win their patch.

There are the shooter's friends and families, coming and showing their support up and down the line.

There's the Gillette Gun Club, which offered us the use of a wonderful range right in town, less than three miles from the interstate.

There was Gillette's Appleseed home team, which came out and liaised with the range, prepped the range with awnings for shade, and set up the firing line, making remaining set-up smooth and easy for yours truly. Then Sunday evening, they stayed around to pull pole on our little three-ring circus, tearing down.

And there were the instructors, present and kicking butt. Qualities worth mentioning were initiative, enthusiasm, alertness, and love. Before I could even identify an issue, there was an instructor out there addressing it.

There were the Appleseed volunteers at national, working behind the scenes providing us with guidance, doctrine, logistics, and a bald spot on the top of my head where I've pulled out my hair. Without their efforts, there would be no Appleseed as we know it.

There were the efforts of shooters and instructors who ran the Gillette shoots previously, whose institutional memory and guidance made our jobs easier and efforts more rewarding.

There were those who came before us, who put their lives on the line that we might enjoy the blessings of liberty today.

The good Lord gave us some great weather, with sun, rain missing us by a hair, and manageable winds. He also kept the mosquitoes at bay. He was also our senior RSO, ensuring everyone arrived and departed safely, and was safe on the line.

The success of this shoot was truly the result of a team effort; thanks all.

ryelye

Thanks to all the instructors and attendees for the great shoot this weekend and to sleepy for the opportunity to take an orange hat!

Here are some additional pics from the shoot:

M1bzrk

I have two words (ok 3): WOW and THANK YOU.
8 of 14 shooters scored Rifleman? I have never seen that high a percentage at an Appleseed in Wyoming!
I should stay away more often, I guess.....

Great job, Savannah.  Keep it up and lift weights with your Dad.
Good pics, Crystal & Ryan - I recognise a bunch of the folks; it's great to see returnees.
Those who didn't shoot the score this time, PERSIST - and dryfire!  You will do it.

Thank you all, students, cadre and Gillette Gun Club, you are all Patriots and you make me proud to live in Wyoming and be a part of Project Appleseed.
Sorry I missed you all, but yes, Brian it's a boy -Cooper Dabb.
Thanks, all of you, and all of those behind the scenes that keep the program rolling.

lamejosh

Came to say thanks to everyone involved!  From Portland, I traveled by plane, train and automobile for my first Appleseed.  By everyone's account I am unlikely to get a better impression.

Shout out to Sleepy for his leadership insuring a safe, effective class (with engaging history breaks).  Special thanks to Crystal, John, Bryan and Mark for their tips which saw me earn Rifleman.

Finally, thanks to everyone who came ready to learn.  I felt lucky to share a class with young and less young who turkey-necked their sights instead of a phone.