News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

El Paso, Texas LADYSEED AAR June 22-23, 2019

Started by Mrs. Smith, June 26, 2019, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

"El Paso City-EEEEEEE, in the air condi-tion-IIIINNNNGGGGG"

Yeah.  That was terrible.  Marty Robbins is spinning in his grave.  Lets try again.

Hello Mr. And Mrs. Appleseed, and all the ships at sea!

Hm. Still needs some work.

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the After Action Report for El Paso's FIRST Ladyseed event!  I'll be your host, Mrs. Smith, Shoot Boss and (very) Recently Distinguished Riflewoman!

In This Corner, We have our Instructor Cadre! Jerry Hall, ACPJunkie, VXMakesMeTwitchy, IDPAer, OlSalt44, Mr. Smith, Sgtrock256, and Desert Rose (yeah, I know, it's mostly a bunch of dudes, but they're AWESOME dudes  O0 )

In the other Corner, we have our Intrepid Ladies!  Mandy, Lakia, Lori, Melody, and Anna!

Despite a couple of no-shows, our group of ladies was fired up and ready to go!

We held a brief hands-off rifle familiarization segment for the uninitiated, followed by the safety briefing, before heading to the Lap of Luxury (aka our powered target runner/ air conditioned indoor shooting range) to shoot the first Redcoat of the weekend.

For the first time in my experience, NOT ONE of the shooters took the bayonet on ANY REDCOAT TARGET ALL WEEKEND.

We settled into a fairly leisurely pace, with the ladies right on top of the instruction and the History, asking LOTS of smart questions, making lots of insightful observations, and carrying their great energy through the whole day.  Our Cadre was on the spot, too, working closely with the ladies when they needed it, and giving them space when they needed that. We stopped JUST short of the AQT on Saturday, as the ladies (and instructors) were getting pretty durn tired, but with solid performance on squares and on the green Transition targets. Nice groups, and good understanding and implementation of Inches, Minutes, and Clicks.  We closed out the day with the traditional Redcoat, with 3 ladies effective out to 400 yards, three ladies hitting the Morgan Shingle, and one cleared target!  Clearly, these gals are NOT here to mess around, and we wrapped our day on a SUPER high note.

Sunday morning dawned bright and warm, and the girls were rearing to go.  Before the safety briefing there was talk of a renewed feeling of patriotism and pride in those earliest Americans, and how they took the tales of the Three Strikes home to their families to share.  It warms the cockles of this old gal's heart  :1luvu

Safety briefing done, Twitchy quick-reviewed the shooting positions for the ladies with help from ACPJunkie, and we were back on the range for the opening Redcoat and the story of Timothy Murphy.  The girls hadn't yet settled into a shooting rhythm, but we still had two shoot out to 400, with two taking down the Murphy Square.

Before getting into the AQT Grind, we had a little fun with the Quack and Ducky DQT (courtesy of 308Liberty) as practice targets to learn the AQT Course of fire.  Still good shots, still good groups, and learning the dreaded TIME MONKEY  %)

And THEN, with absolutely no further ado, we shot the first AQT of the weekend.  Lo and behold, to what do my wondering eyes appear (shameless, I know) but LAKIA shot a solid 212 on her VERY FIRST EVER AQT!!!   This gal was ON FIRE  :---

Three AQTs down, and 2 to go, with the girls down to the wire.   Lunchtime!  The instructors told the stories of Mary Macauley, Nancy Hart, Deborah Sampson, Dicey Langston, and more, while the ladies were floored by the ingenuity and bravery of those women, despite the odds, the injuries, the dangers, and the consequences of their roles in the fight for Liberty.

Back to the range! We broke things up a bit with the Game of Flowers, where the girls were paired up, given 20 rounds each, and told to shoot out the center of a yellow flower target.  Mandy and Anna took home the prize, with some nice Appleseed goodies!

The girls we nice and loose for the last 2 AQTs of the weekend and then...... Done!  I'm sneaky and underhanded, so we kept the last few targets and didn't let the girls see them while we shot the final Redcoat of the weekend, secured the rifles, cleaned the range and headed back to the classroom to wrap things up.

In addition to Lakia's Rifleman score, Melody turned in a SWEET 214 on her second to last target (when she had asked previously, Twitchy told her it was a 208  >:D  Ain't he a stinker?)  Melody also took home the prize for most improved, having increased her score on the AQT by 99 points!!!

My other three determined gals were ALL banging on that rifleman door, with Lori turning in a 196, Mandy with a 194, and 13 year old Anna with a 192.  Next time, girls!  We'll have patches waiting with your names on them!!

We talked about civic responsibility, the citizens' roles in the governmental process, and how the Constitution is a contract between the government and the People.  In order for it to work as designed, we HAVE to hold up our end of the contract!

Ladies, it was my honor to be the Shoot Boss for our first Ladyseed, and I know the rest of the cadre feels the same way. I couldn't have hoped for a better, smarter, more enthusiastic bunch of students, and you make us look REALLY good  :cool2:

Until next time, girls!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

yes, I know,

:pics:

BUT....  I seem to have misplaced my camera card reader, so as soon as I figure out what safe place I stuck that thing in, I'll upload all the awesome pics Desert Rose took for us this weekend!

The gals were also kind and generous enough to let the cadre share the line with them a bit, giving several of us a chance to requalify.  No less than 5 cadre did so, with yours truly finally achieving a Distinguished rating (and SMOKING Mr. Smith  ^:)^) with a 241, OlSalt44 got his first Rifleman's score under Adaptive rules  with a 222, Desert Rose bested her previous Rifleman's score with a 219 (Watch out, Twitchy, she's coming for you!), Jerry Hall turned in a Distinguished with Iron Sights with a 233, and ACPJunkie (I love him, and I hate him) brought his little CZ bolt action to the line and knocked out a 248  :bow: He later apologized for dropping those two shots. I told him NOT to let it happen again. ~~:)   Guess I'd better order some 250 rockers  ;D
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Grandpa Chuckie

Wow, Mrs. Smith!! Can we go? Can we go? You got us fired up just reading your report!!! Dang! That's some mighty fine shootin'! By all parties!! Those gals CAN SHOOT! May some darn good gals!! Maybe some mighty fine instructors!! Or a bunch of both!!

GREAT EVENT!!! And thank you for a great report!

We can't wait for your next event!!
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

"No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear." - Edmund Burke

ACPjunkie

Great work by the ladies, it does good for our instructors when the students apply and improve and turn out some excellent results down range. I hope to see every one of them at the next event or even the KD event this fall.
"It aint mystical $@!+"  VAshooter

Front Sight focus is true enlightenment

TaosGlock

Air conditioning? >:D
You guys are plum spoilt.

Seriously, congratulations on a great shoot! :beer:
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Jerry Hall

Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what they all say!!!
O.K. here's the real truth... , A fine bunch of women shooters got together and spanked the Idea that men are better shooters.
In my experience, women always follow instruction better!!! As shown by the scores from this weekends shooters.
We had a blast and there may be some Mini-seeds in the works to assist these young ladies along the road to Riflewoman! :snipersmi :snipersmi :snipersmi
Thanks to all involved for a great weekend. :bow:
Now if you'll excuse me it's time for dry fire practice before bed, (aiming at the elusive 250with a bolt gun). ~~:) #) ~~:)
"till we meet again", Happy Trails,
Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Ghostring

Any AAR that includes warm heart cockles is alright by me  :))
Thanks for bringing another great shoot home, gals and guys!  Y'all rock!!!
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Mercedes

CONGRATULATIONS for another outstanding EP Event and the Inauguration of Ladyseed in EP!!!!

Traci, your descriptions are beyond amazing and I felt like to experienced the event right along with everyone else in that lovely air conditioned environment that you so shamelessly remind us that you have at your disposal  :1luvu

To the EP Cadre, it is thanks to your patience that the women who attended the Ladyseed experienced the level of success they achieved.

And to the Ladyseed shooters, HUZZAH!  Your enthusiasm, willingness to listen and apply what you learned, and your steadfastness "raised your sights" and the targets and patches are the tangent and visible proof of your success. 

My 7th day message:  Don't stop now.  Keep shooting.  Enjoy the AC in the sweltering heat of West Texas!!!

Debbie

sgtrock256

All,
It was a great weekend and you ladies were amazing. We hope to see you at further events.

SgtRock256
Jason Stanzione

Desert Rose

I enjoyed my first event as a blue hat and that I was able to re-qualify with my highest score yet! Thanks to the awesome El Paso instructors and an awesome shoot boss. I think the ladies who attended had a really good time and they appreciated the history as well.

Mrs. Smith

AF5US

Wow, what a fantastic report!  :F

Congratulations on a fantastic event, and congratulations on reaching distinguished!   O0
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

T.J. 8

Mrs. Smith

Thanks so much, everyone!  The ladies deserve most of the credit!

Minutemom

Great job El Paso!  Sounds like a winner!  SUH-WEEEET!!!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

scuzzy

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on July 01, 2019, 02:31:21 PM
Thanks so much, everyone!  The ladies deserve most of the credit!

Oh man! I can't believe I missed seeing this report until just now!

Thanks - and see you and Jerry and Jim and all the rest of the crew next weekend.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.