News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

M1 Carbine Rear Sight removal

Started by ArmyVet, May 29, 2019, 07:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArmyVet

Greetings all,

I am in search of someone that has, and will allow me to use, a rear sight removal tool for the M1 carbine. I've called around to several gun shops in the Nashville / Lebanon / Mt Juliet area and no one seems to have this. I'm hoping a fellow Appleseeder can point me in the right direction or hook me up.
The difference between a novice and a master: the novice does it until they get it right. The master does it until they can't get it wrong.

Tennessee Beast

I do not have a sight pusher.

While they may not be the best tools, you can use a brass punch and hammer.  Remove left to right (when looking from the rear).  I would recommend spraying a penetrating oil on it first (PB Blaster or AeroKroil) and placing 3 layers of masking tape on the left side.  Then you just place the punch above the junction of the sight and receiver and hit it.  It may take a couple of hard hits initially.

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

ArmyVet

We must have watched the same YouTube video :)
This one is really in there - it won't budge. It appears to be staked, but I can't get a clear view of the dovetail area. I am reluctant to beat on it any more than I already have.
The difference between a novice and a master: the novice does it until they get it right. The master does it until they can't get it wrong.

Tennessee Beast

I see.  Disregard, then.  You may have to shell out the $50 for the tool.  However, you could probably sell it afterwards and get some of your money back.

Unless you have a big vise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNnZrFOFpU (or maybe a hydraulic press)
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

ArmyVet

Now THAT video was new to me. I might be able to set that up. The vice + c-clamp setup is basically the same configuration as those sight-pushers. Thanks!