News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Monroe Mini - January 31st...

Started by TheUpsetter, February 02, 2009, 12:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheUpsetter

After Action Report - Mini in Monroe, WA, January 31st, 2009

The mini shoot in Monroe, WA on Saturday was a great success. The weather was outstanding and the shooters were very motivated.  There were 12 shooters, including an 8 year old girl with an awesome pink rifle, a few dangerous old men, and one very focused tube fed shooter. 

The instructor group consisted of of 5 IIts and 1 Red hat, with Fredness calling the line and 4130, artandscience, Earl, MeanTree and TheUpsetter working with the shooters.  Things moved a little slowly in the morning as the ice melted from the trees above and the fog cleared, but by mid day we had quickened the pace considerably, and even had time to run a couple of 'fun' courses of fire.  And by run I do mean run, as Fredness had the shooters start at the top of a hill, and sprint around a trash can before hitting the line to put 10 rounds in a 100yd silhouette.  Not surprisingly, the 2 kids were the only ones who wanted to do that again.  We only shot from prone all day to shorten things up and never did a real AQT, but at least 3 shooters will be knocking on the Rifleman's door as soon as we teach them standing and sitting at a full shoot.

The range owner,STRAT, got down on the line and shot with everyone for the day, and did an excellent job.  We can't thank him enough for bringing Appleseed to his property and are very excited that he wants to host more shoots very soon (stay tuned).  He had a great time, but I'm guessing he might be a little tired of hearing "follow through with that trigger."  ;)

All in all it was another great day for Appleseed, I can't thank the enthusiastic shooters and STRAT enough for making it possible.

_TheUpsetter

QuoteIt was very good to meet the fellow shooters, thanks to everyone that made the effort to show up.

We had 12 shooters on the line and 5 instructors so the was plenty of good coaching on the line.

Fredness did a good job on the range commands.

We were blessed with unusually good weather for this area this time of year.

Can't wait for the next one, so will practice practice practice.

On the subject of practice it is a good idea to reinforce SAFETY

DRY FIRE PRACTICE MUST BE ONE WITHOUT ANY AMMUNITION ANYWHERE IN THE ROOM OR VICINITY OF THE DRY FIRE PRACTICE.

Where ever you choose to dry fire practice make sure the weapon is clear and unloaded, some professionals even disassemble the firearm before entering the dry fire area, no ammunition should be in the dry fire area ever, do not take ammo into the area at any time not before or after or during, NO NO NO AMMUNITION in the dry fire area period.

Rim fire rifles can be damaged when dry firing on a empty chamber because the firing pin strikes the breach face on some designs, you can make your own snap cap or buy one but the snap cap must be a obvious  dummy round and not look like ammunition for the rifle.

For future purposes safety during dry fire practice out side a live firing line should be stressed over and over, the safety point should be driven home.

Thanks again to everyone that showed up for coming and it for a great day.

STRAT
"When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten of them will turn out badly.  A warrior is a person who does things quickly." - Hagakure

shotgunred

thank you guys and gals.

For Washington we had very good weather.  clouds, a little rain, a little sun and even some hail.  better than average day for this time of year.  At least we were dry all day.

i had a fun day and learned a lot.  it is amazing how fast your (my) groups shrink with  some help and instruction.  i thought it was a good shoot with a safe line and everyone working on a common goal.  this shoot had the heaviest ratio of instructors to student of any shoot i have been to.  I think it is fair to say everyone was doing better by the end of the day.Even the little girl was doing a lot better by the end of the day,  I have got to give her credit.  it takes guts to go out on a line of simi-autos with a single shot and try to keep up. O0

hopefully we will all have our equipment issues worked out and the next shoot will go faster.  i have already ordered a new mount for my gun and 4 slings.  I met some nice people and can't wait till do it again.

Thanks guys, I think you did a great job, see you next time.

Earl

Visuals are now part of History.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.