News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Noob alert!

Started by Hoosier_Daddy, May 18, 2019, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoosier_Daddy

New member to the forum because I just attended my first Appleseed event. (Nappanee IN)
First off, I want to shout out to Click, 3 Dogs, and Pinky for their awesome work today. I am so looking forward to tomorrow.
Click was obviously the Boss, knew his Sh-tuff and I respected his knowledge. But I learned the most from 3 Dog.. I feel we kinda "gelled".
Pinky, bless her heart, was the "Display Model" and did an awesome job! I would not want to shoot against her in competition!
Ya see, my oldest Grand Daughter is now 12, I have been training her on air rifles for 2 years.
I see a lot of Dead-Eye Lou's eagerness and dedication in Pinky.... we spoke a bit about her.
I was in the Air Force 30 years ago, I was taught the B.R.A.S.S. method... then, many years after that, I picked up scatter guns and shot trap and skeet.
Most recently I have gotten back into shooting Bench-Rest air rifles.

I found Project Appleseed because wanted a refresher in 3 position shooting. PLUS ... I am a HUGE history buff.. Actually thought I could be a history instructor.
But today I learned details I did not know... way more as a matter of fact. ::)
OMG... did I get an awakening! so much intensified training.... I thought I knew what I was doing before today!
My first red coat was miserable, had been so long since I shot this way.... but the last one, all my groups counted except that darn shingle!  :wb:

Well. Tomorrow is another day. I rubbed my old bones down with "ben-Gay" and ready to give it another go in the morning.
You can Bet Your Sweet Bippy, my Grand-Daughter, "Dead-Eye Lou" will be with me in September!
Oh ... look...
Squirrel!

Mark Davis

Good to see you. Have a clean red coat, and a rifleman score tomorrow!

CarrollMS

Quote from: Hoosier_Daddy on May 18, 2019, 10:37:01 PM
I was taught the B.R.A.S.S. method...

* BREATH, RELAX, AIM, SLACK, SQUEEZE *

Thanks for sharing your experiences at your AS.  The BRASS acronym is one that I often use personally. It came into use after my time in the trenches, but I had a retired NCO a generation behind me to teach me the meaning.  It is good in that it is an acronym that one may carry the rest of their lives, and it emphasizes some things the AS 6 steps does not- RELAX - spelled out. Another is SLACK.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/shooting-brass-can-make-shots-easier/
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Click

Thank you for all the compliments for me and the instructors. I am glad to hear that you had fun and learned alot.. probably more than you thought you would. I look forward to seeing you at the September Nappanee shoot and I look forward to meeting your granddaughter. I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm going to need 2 rifleman patches waiting for you both.