News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cheyenne WY May 18-19/19 AAR

Started by colonial shooter, May 18, 2019, 09:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonial shooter

Well the day started out briskly ( I mean the mud puddles had white caps). Four eager students showed up, dressed for the 45* temps and 40 mph winds. The day started with an  introduction to April 19th. Followed shortly by introductions of Instructors and safety rules. Then came the always present Red Coats. Many whom perished at at least the 100yd mark. As the day progressed the targets began speaking their magic. By the end of the day our only junior shooter had attained a 61(not bad for a first time shooter) and other in the high 180's . Tomorrow will will return and start again. Hopefully after a hot shower and a little Vitamin I, the AQTs will drop like Red Coats.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

colonial shooter

Day 2 started at a balmy 31*. Cars began showing up at the range covered in moisture, white and fluffy. Anywhere else would call it snow. It is May in Wyoming, and only the week after Mothers Day. Two students showed up ready to get into the grind. Most started out by telling us their own diagnosis of what they had been doing wrong. A good start from the instructors point of view. By the end on the day, improvement was shown , although not enough to hand out any blue patches, but both knocking on the door in the high 180s and low 190s. We will see them on the line again soon! Thanks to M1bzrk and sleepy, and to our newest RH LineDoc. Congrats! You guys make my job easy. Thanks! I know there were photos taken. Please add them and your comments.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

M1bzrk

A great Shoot.  Weather could have been better & attendance could have been greater, but attitudes were GREAT!  Thomas our only youth, was very disappointed in not being able to return on Sunday, but had prior commitments.  David said they'd do their best to make the Pine Bluffs event.  Bert and Duncan proved amazingly good at using Talking Targets to diagnose their own problems.  Looking forward to seeing all of you soon.
Thanks also to colonial shooter, sleepy and LineDoc, and congrats to Rob on earning his RedHat.
Of course, thanks to Wendy our range liason - and hopefully future Instructor - and Otto Road Range for an excellent venue.
Two side notes: Chris, a pistol shooter, stopped by asked what was going on; he stayed to watch an AQT and left with a few Redcoats, trifolds and vowing to attend an Appleseed.
And BigBoy [the biggest steam engine ever built] rolled past in a cloud of steam!  Hard to top that....

sleepy

Late May Winterseed weather (welcome to Wyoming) aside, the way I would best characterize the shoot was "smooth". This was thanks to colonialshooter's and M1bzrk's supervision, and Line Doc running the show. The four new shooters on the line having their stuff together helped, too.

And Line Doc certainly earned his red hat (and accompanying generous Appleseed pay raise) this weekend. Try not to spend it all in one place!

We had four shooters, (Thomas/David/Duncan/Bert) all brand new to Appleseed, showing serious improvements in hits with time. Unfortunately two, Thomas and David, were unable unable to come back on Sunday. Both Bert and Duncan were knocking on the door by the end of Sunday, and I'm confident will earn their patches at their next shoot.

Thomas's persistence gives me a little hope for the future generation.

As an additional treat, one of America's last few running steam locomotives, Big Boy, passed thru on the adjoining tracks pulling a passenger train and a convoy of spectators.

Also, notice to shoot bosses! We schlep enough crappy-do from shoot to shoot. Why should we carry trifolds, too?

A shooter from another bay popped in to see what we were about.

Colonialshooter was able to send him away with written information, a few targets, and an interest in attending a future shoot. So pop a few trifolds in a gallon baggie, and stash them away in your shoot box; maybe when things are quiet (lunch), you could send out a press-gang to drum up some interest while the shoot is going, flags are out, and passers-by can see. Note to self; fife and drum CD...

Where better to recruit than an actual shoot?