News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station, TX AAR - Mar. 30-31, 2019 - 10TH ANNIVERSARY DAR SHOOT

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, March 28, 2019, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

29 shooters joined us for the March 30-31, 2019 College Station Appleseed shoot.

Tumbleweed, scuzzy, Tank5, Bravo 5 and myself instructed.

It was very windy. It even rained a little mid-day.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Rkaechler

After a day Saturday shooting in the rain, then cold, then wet, cold and windy, I have much respect for those that shoot in those and worse conditions and while being shot at at the same time. This was my first Appleseed but will not be my last. Many thanks to the instructors. Their technical knowledge and storytelling abilities are worth much more than the price of admission.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

It was very windy. It even rained a little mid-day. Then it started getting cold - perhaps the last cold weather we will see in this area for some time.

During the rain we made use of the time and told the shooters about our history.

Ladyseed Man Slave

Shooters persisted throughout the day.

They were able to shoot a practice AQT and one timed AQT before days end.

Ladyseed Man Slave

At the end of the day it was my pleasure to present a plaque to the range owner - Steve Struve - thanking him for 10 years of Appleseed on his range!!!!

Just over 10 years ago Steve went to a Davilla shoot where he met Scout. He asked Scout why they could not have shoots on his property and the rest was history.

Ghostring pulled some strings and got the plaque ordered in time - I think it looks great.

Here is a link to that first College Station, TX Appleseed in March 2009. It is a festivus miracle that the photo links are still active in that thread.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6325.0
Ladyseed Man Slave

Sunday started off cold and cloudy. Still had some wind. Wind had been strong enough to render one canopy into scrap metal.

Tank5 and Tumbleweed talk about some dangerous old men and dangerous women.

scuzzy fuels up for more instruction.

and the shooters persisted throughout the day.

I didn't get many pictures of the actual shoot on Sunday. A lot of our time was spent with individual instruction.

Alas, to my knowledge there were no new Rifleman scores at this event, but one shooter - Roy - returned and requalified as Rifleman. His first Rifleman score was on this range in August 2009.

Steve Struve took me on a private tour of the wildflowers growing on many acres of his range. This is some of the finest real estate in the State of Texas and we get to have Appleseed on it.

Ladyseed Man Slave

Mercedes

scuzzy

Yup. Nice event and good students. I had been awhile since I was there in College Station and it was good to be back.

Boy was it windy that weekend. Sure makes for a tough stage 1 standing.

And we even saw one of the Appleseed Edition M4-22 rifles out there. Guy made rifleman with it.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Ghostring

I'm sorry I had to miss this one, but I'm super happy to have gotten the award there in time :)
I hope it hangs in a suitable location at the range!

Also, I'd very much like to thank Sir Not Appearing In This Film for not only having the longest handle on the forum, but for keeping the flame alive in College Station over these past many years.  It's been my honor and privilege to know him in Real Life (tm), and he's inspiring both off and on the range.  He inspired me to become a 'seeder, and has done so for many others.  Thanks SNAITF!

GR (Jim)
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Quote from: Ghostring on April 04, 2019, 11:41:37 AM
I'm sorry I had to miss this one, but I'm super happy to have gotten the award there in time :)
I hope it hangs in a suitable location at the range!

Also, I'd very much like to thank Sir Not Appearing In This Film for not only having the longest handle on the forum, but for keeping the flame alive in College Station over these past many years.  It's been my honor and privilege to know him in Real Life (tm), and he's inspiring both off and on the range.  He inspired me to become a 'seeder, and has done so for many others.  Thanks SNAITF!

GR (Jim)

:bow:

O0
Ladyseed Man Slave