News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Azusa CA AAR - 9 March 2019

Started by Rocket Man, March 14, 2019, 04:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

We're finally back on the line at Burro Canyon, enjoying a break in the rain?  Is that what it's called?  We've had so much of the wet stuff this year that folks are boating in Death Valley...   **)  But as is so often the case, Nature smiled on us and gave us a swell day to bring the gang back together in the hills above Azusa.

Jacob (pennys_dad) and I have been working for years to perfect the one-day Appleseed formula, and if last weekend was any indication we're getting pretty close.  14 of California's finest showed up for a full day of fun, including two father-son teams out to prove their mettle.  We got through safety brief with full marks, and from there it was full seed ahead!  ^:)^

As nice as the day was, we did run headlong into a few of the typical equipment gremlins, and we did get a taste of that daunting early morning feeling facing down our first set of Redcoats.  However, good Patriots always persevere, and even though we couldn't fix everything we found ways to compensate and make the best of it.  By lunchtime a good chunk of our line wore stylish zip-tie swivels, and more than one scope didn't want to cooperate, but we got some good groups on paper all the same.

Before we knew it, it was storytime.  It still amazes me that with all the money and all the technology in the world, Hollywood can't come up with anything as compelling as our own story of April 19th.  Real superheroes don't wear capes, but some wore tricorns.   ;D

Apart from storytime, my favorite part of the shoot is that moment all instructors know, when things start to gel and you hear that thunderous rhythm start emerging from the line.  It is impressive how effective a dozen focused Riflemen can be, and it makes plain how it all happened at the North Bridge of Concord.   O0 

By the afternoon we had shrunk groups down from page-sized to walnut-sized, or in a few cases down to bug-sized, and wound up with three hard-chargers reaching out for the Rifleman Path.  As it happened we didn't quite get there, not with only time enough for a single timed AQT, but Paul, Phil, and Ray all put together nice targets, easily within sneezing distance, 190+.  It's just a matter of time once you get there.

With the sun fading and Daylight Savings Time breathing down our necks, it was time to pack it up, but I think all of us learned a few things, instructors too.  We'll be putting several more dates on the calendar soon!  Thanks again to all who came out and accepted the challenge offered by our forefathers, and we'll see you again.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

Some of my pictures from the shoot.  Drop me a message for high resolution.

Jacob leads the group in instruction

Looking down the line in prone, Alex on the M1A and son Isaiah on the near side, making lots of noise and big .308 holes.   @)

Getting fancy, moving on to transitions...  focus, focus...

Dropping into seated position.  More than one shooter discovered that it worked better for 'em than prone.

Brothers and friends on the north end of the line, making a fine fireteam.  Practice with a buddy or two, make it a regular thing, and you'll be surprised how fast you can improve.  Everybody needs an Isaac Davis watching over their shoulders.

Nice work, everyone!  See you again soon!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

sleepy

The surprise is that even in a pathetic slave state like California, one can still find a few good men.

But no it's surprise you find them all at an Appleseed in Azusa.

I look forward to hearing soon that Rocket Man's burden of Rifleman patches and orange hats is reduced.