News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Awesome Known Distance at VETS 25 February 2018

Started by Quinncannon, February 25, 2019, 09:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinncannon

I met ArcEagle14 at VETS today for some KD shooting with our evil black rifles! I had another Vortex PST 1x4 scope to zero on another rifle, so within ten rounds fired, including zeroing, I was shooting to 500 yards with solid hits, ammo fired was 55 grain FMJ. I highly recommend this scope.  Very good glass, come ups and back down very repeatable. I went back and forth from 300 to 500 often. Everytime, it was spot on! Eighty rounds fired from this rifle.

With another rifle and same make scope, ammo 75 grain BTHP's, I fired one hundred rounds from 300 to 500 yards, checking come ups and downs with the same reliability, accuracy was excellent.

ArcEagle14, proved that he is indeed a "Dangerous Old Man" by shooting his AR15 from 300 to 600 yards and ringing the steel with alacrity!

A good time was had, plenty of lead put on target and 7th stepping to other folks at the range!

As usual, we invite any and all to shoot with a couple of old hand Appleseeders, just for the comraderie or possibly need a little help with the fundamentals of marksmanship, we'll be glad to lend a hand!

Quinncannon, out.
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

NJrefugee

I am a big fan of the Vortex PST 1-4. It has been mounted on my go-to AR for a few years now.  That rig has been used and abused through at least a dozen Run 'n Gun Biathlon style competitions in Texas and Oklahoma, often being dragged through mud, dunked in water, and banged against all sorts of hard surfaces. Zero hasn't moved and it is money out to 500 yards and has made fairly consistent hits out to 600, all with Wolf Gold 55g FMJ, mostly in tough conditions.  I was tempted to upgrade to the Gen II 1-6, but for my purposes I find 4x more than adequate and I like the lighter weight of the Gen I vs Gen II.

Quinncannon

Quote from: NJrefugee on February 25, 2019, 11:14:03 PM
I am a big fan of the Vortex PST 1-4. It has been mounted on my go-to AR for a few years now.  That rig has been used and abused through at least a dozen Run 'n Gun Biathlon style competitions in Texas and Oklahoma, often being dragged through mud, dunked in water, and banged against all sorts of hard surfaces. Zero hasn't moved and it is money out to 500 yards and has made fairly consistent hits out to 600, all with Wolf Gold 55g FMJ, mostly in tough conditions.  I was tempted to upgrade to the Gen II 1-6, but for my purposes I find 4x more than adequate and I like the lighter weight of the Gen I vs Gen II.
Thank you for responding and sharing your experience about this fine scope! I'm starting to think I need another one or two of these optics for a couple of mid length AR's.

"This we"ll defend"

Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Nashville Stage

I tell ya, when it comes to inviting fellow instructors out to the range to do some shooting, you guys walk the walk. It's so easy to get caught up in running events, doing life, and everything else in between. The irony of an instructor that winds up shooting *less* than they did before as a student is all too common. Thanks for being out front & leading by example. It's something I need to emulate more.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Quinncannon

Thanks, Nashville Stage...we are retired, so we have a little more time to devote to marksmanship and to help others. Shooting, pretty much runs in our veins.
"This we"ll defend"