News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Stafford Va. February 2-3, 2019 AAR

Started by The Wolfhound, February 11, 2019, 09:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

We tried hard to plan a Winterseed and came so close.  Saturday morning temperatures were in the teens but by the time we were into the AQTs, it was about 40.  Sunday had me out in shirt sleeves!  The miss of a Winterseed did not dampen the enthusiasm of our shooters as 23 Americans braved the temperatures and learned a Rifleman's skills.  Marty, our range, host decided to increase his difficulty and successfully shot AQTs in full plates and helmet.  We were treated to the First Strike by AH1Tom, Second Strike by Brotherpilot and the Third by Catch-10-22.  BD closed out the history with Dangerous Old Men.  I again got to tell the story of Isaac Davis' musket.  Also helping out throughout the weekend were Monkey, Missus Monkey, and DeadAnt finishing off her last Red Hat requirements. Our results were 5 new Riflemen and 2 requals.  Special congratulations go out to Landon, he is the first shooter I have seen to ace all four Redcoats through the weekend!

BrotherPilot

A special shout out to Isabelle, a first time shooter and teenager, who not only braved the weather, but shot the entire weekend with an AR-15 AND with a bad foot in a soft cast... Shades of Valley Forge since she couldn't keep that foot dry or warm given the cast.  And did all that with a smile.
Jay
VA State Coordinator
540-855-4651
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."•Samuel Adams

The Wolfhound

Thanks for the reminder!  I do not believe I have seen another youth shooter run a centerfire the entire weekend.  Makes "Shoot Like A Girl" something the boys can aspire to!

BrotherPilot

I believe Isabelle was also one of the four shooters who managed 'Natural Point of Oreo' when we did  the Oreo target NPOA drill.
Jay
VA State Coordinator
540-855-4651
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."•Samuel Adams

Leadslinger66

Quote from: BrotherPilot on February 21, 2019, 09:19:49 AM
I believe Isabelle was also one of the four shooters who managed 'Natural Point of Oreo' when we did  the Oreo target NPOA drill.

I'm intrigued. Please tell us more about the Oreo target NPOA drill and "Natural Point Of Oreo".
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

The Wolfhound

We carded the sights with an Oreo glued to the target sheet.  Bust the Oreo and get a pack of Oreos to eat in front of your fellow shooters.  Incentive is a wonderful thing and so are reactive targets.  They work out to be about 6MOA.  BrotherPilot came up with it and I would say it broke up the grind of the AQTs with a fun but useful drill.

BrotherPilot

In fairness,  I swiped the idea from older posts on the instructor's resources board.  There was quite a bit of discussion about what made for proper reactive targets.  The reward of the pack of Oreos if you hit was my contribution to the idea.  Like The Wolfhound said,  it was a fun drill,  and I think a good teaching moment.
Jay
VA State Coordinator
540-855-4651

Monkey

Quote from: BrotherPilot on February 22, 2019, 08:58:35 AM
In fairness,  I swiped the idea from older posts on the instructor's resources board.  There was quite a bit of discussion about what made for proper reactive targets.  The reward of the pack of Oreos if you hit was my contribution to the idea.  Like The Wolfhound said,  it was a fun drill,  and I think a good teaching moment.

Those targets not ruptured are easily remediated to allow for their original purpose. 

DAMHIKT.  ;D

"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

sleepy

A "HUZZAH" to those Virginia riflemen who braved the cold. Chesty would have been proud.

The thermometer does what it will do. It's the willingness of these riflemen that is the real story.