News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hollywood, FL, AAR, Jan 5-6, 2019

Started by malabar, January 07, 2019, 12:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malabar

There's no such thing as a bad shoot, but some are definitely better than the others.

This was the best I have ever attended.

42 shooters. 14 riflemen -- 11 of them new. One new rifleman shot a distinguished score -- twice. Wonderful weather. A great range, staffed by great patriots who have always supported the mission. And an excellent cadre of instructors. What could be better?

How about the minting of a new Red Hat and a matching new Blue Hat? And the long awaited birth of an instructor cadre in South Florida?

Miami here we come!

One of the high points of the weekend was Sybil Herman. A new rifle shooter, she bought a fine Tac Sol rifle for the shoot and it deviled her all weekend, not wanting to seat the mags correctly. Offhand and prone she quickly grasped, but sitting was a challenge -- as it is for most of us.  She pulled it all together on the second-to-last AQT of the day. She was the last Rifleman that we announced.  When we called out her score -- 223 -- she almost cried, and all applauded.  Hugs all-around.

Many thanks to 9mm4545, Rambo Granny, Smoaking Gun, drumNgun, Miss Conduct, Duke Marren, Planeman and Tennessee Beast -- ya'll rock!

Here's the honor roll of rifleman and their best score:

-- Roger Arjoon, 217
-- James Walker, 216
-- Glenn Crawford, 217
-- Lance Potvin, 223
-- Caleb More, 224
-- Mitch Herman, 226
-- Dan Sinkoff, 231
-- Mel Marangos, 234
-- Larry Barb, 234
-- Paul Taddeo, 236
-- Sauer Vandenberg, 240
-- Gary Kinser, 212
-- Sybil Herman -- 223

It was a privilege to be there and instruct these fine Americans.

A great time was had by all. The photo below is drunNgun before his promotion to Red Hat, and our newest Blue Hat, his daughter, Alicia.  She was a great help, packing shirts, organizing admin and helping with paperwork. More photos to follow, I'm sure. 

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Tennessee Beast

I really enjoyed working with the shooters and instructors at this event.  The range is amazing and very accommodating to Appleseed.  I can certainly see why it "sells out" so frequently.  I encourage anyone interested in attending this event to sgn up early.  It certainly is worth traveling to.

Congrats to drumNgun and Alicia on their new hats and all those who earned their Rifleman patches.

Thank you for letting me a part of this amazing shoot. I feel like I made lots of friends and hope to see all of you at future events.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

9mm4545

Phenomenal is the only way to describe this incredible shoot. This is going to be a tough act to follow. Congratulations to every new Rifleman and mucho gracias to the great range, excellent students, and more than capable instructors. On the scale of Appleseed host ranges, Hollywood Rifle and Pistol Club is an eleven on a scale of one to ten.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Miss Conduct

A special thank you to all of the instructors who drove so far to make this Appleseed a fantastic event. Congratulations to DrumNGun for his new "red" hat and Alicia for her blue one. The weather was great and the fellowship was wonderful. Thanks to all and God bless.
"May we think of Freedom, not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right"          Peter Marshall

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

2wheelDuke

Thanks to the traveling crew that made the Appleseed weekend happen.  It's always a pleasure to have you at our range. 

Thanks also go out to Dan Sinkoff for the new target holders and a very impressive cart to haul them around in.  While we're praising Dan, it's also worth mentioning that several of the shooters on the line learned of Appleseed through him. 

Roger recently joined at HRPC.  He's been chasing that patch for a good few shoots now.  It was great to see him finally make it happen, then repeat it again Sunday to prove it wasn't just luck. 

Sauer is also a new HRPC member, and technically needed to demonstrate proficiency still before he had unsupervised range access.  I told him Saturday that his cleaned Redcoat satisfied that requirement. 

Sunday we had a family show up looking to shoot a metallic silhouette match.  Instead we got them to have a taste of Appleseed.   

Congrats to DrumNGun on the red hat, and to Alicia for taking the blue hat.  I need to step my game up so we can shoot my orange hat.

I'm glad I could be part of making such a great weekend happen.

And I can't wait until we can announce the next Hollywood shoot. 

rambo granny

Ditto to all previous comments.
We have been going to Hollywood for 6 years now. The Hollywood Rifle Pistol Club is a consistent venue in turning out long lines of students with teachable attitudes as well as the club's enthusiastic support for the Appleseed program. Long lines are not black magic! The club does some promoting which is also evident in consistent club members participating in the event. As Appleseed Instructors, we are treated like family and supported enthusiastically in the AS mission.This time the club had created special target stands complete with custom wheeled cart making deployment and breakdown of the firing line easier. We were the first to use them.
As always, the AS cadre absolutely rocks and the students were a joy to instruct soaking up tips like sponges. Such a large group of rifleman...priceless!
Persistence over time pays off. Finally having a local core of AS cadre in Hollywood is the "Holy Grail".
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy9cewsiehj66ob/AS%20Hollywood%20Jan%205-6%2C%202019.mov?dl=0
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Lucky Lori

Well done . Congratulations DrumNGun  for taking the red hat. Look forward to working with you again this month at boot camp in Tallahassee.  Alicia thank you for taking the blue hat and helping out appleseed. I hope to meet  you one day.   Lucky  Lori

Lomshek

Got any info on the new target system that was mentioned in the slide show?  Always up for a better way of doing things!

9mm4545

The target system mentioned was a series of color coded powder coated steel supports that held a couple 1x2" sticks. Tennessee Beast has a shot of one of the units in the pics that he posted. The cardboard target backers were fastened to the uprights using binder clips. Each target support was colored to match the bench color next to each shooter. The whole system was packaged in a rolling custom made cart that stored and transported the push-in-the-ground-with-your-foot holders. I have seen similar target supports using in IDPA matches and it is easy and fast to set up the targets. A club member at HRPC, who has been extremely supportive of Appleseed, made these and we were the lucky first time users of the new system. This is probably not the system for a traveling shoot boss as the rack of supports and sticks is a bit large to put into a vehicle but when we do shoots at this range, all that the shoot boss needs to bring are targets as everything else is provided by the range. The support sticks could have been spaced about four inches wider in retrospect as the upright sticks were pretty close to the scoring zone on an AQT but most of the 1x2's survived. There is a shot of our beloved Smoakingun pushing the loaded cart in shots in the video by Rambo Granny.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

malabar

We use those type of stands all over our range. We have a set for the small bore range, one for the action area, several for the action sports, and two sets for training.

Ours also were made by members. You can buy them, but they're $25-$30 apiece that way. The stand is made out of a hand truck.

To make them more versatile, weld two rows of uprights on either side, and they will accommodate a wide range of target widths. If you drill a hole in each upright and weld a nut on it, you can screw in a bolt to secure the stick.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Tennessee Beast

Stands so nice, they need to be mentioned twice.   :)

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

JustKim

Sounds Awesome!  Wish we were a bit closer.  I am always so jealous of the great turn-outs - almost always sold out!!!!  Congratulations to drumngun on your red hat!!! 
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

TheMenace

If you space your 1"x2" stand uprights at 18" the abandoned roadside signs with 18"x24" corplast make long lasting target backers.  Our local city code enforcement officer provides an endless supply of plastic backers. We use push pins instead of staples to make them safer to resuse. As Malabar mentioned you can add a second set of stick holders at 24" to hold the larger handgun training targets.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Lomshek

Quote from: TheMenace on January 21, 2019, 05:27:29 PM
If you space your 1"x2" stand uprights at 18" the abandoned roadside signs with 18"x24" corplast make long lasting target backers.  Our local city code enforcement officer provides an endless supply of plastic backers. We use push pins instead of staples to make them safer to resuse. As Malabar mentioned you can add a second set of stick holders at 24" to hold the larger handgun training targets.

18" is also the width of USPSA and IDPA cardboard targets.  I'm a USPSA match director and use shot up targets as target backers for Appleseed.  Usually I turn them upside down and put the target number on the "head".

Any club that has USPSA or IDPA matches will probably gladly give you their used targets.

Minutemom

Well done crew!  It sounds like we have a south Florida cadre in the making!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,