News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Super-portable target fence for rifle shooters

Started by azmule, January 02, 2019, 08:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

I've posted elsewhere in a Shoot Boss area what we in Arizona have come up with for super portable target fence.  Since this would be handy kit for any shooter, I'll repost it here where anybody can see it and use it.

First thing needed is plastic safety fence, found in most hardware and garden supply stores for about $30 for a 4' x 100' roll.  One roll makes 4 of these fences, because you'll be using 2' by 50' per 20 shooter fence.  (For larger Appleseeds, I'd recommend multiple 50' fences over a longer single fence anyway.)  2' high handily accommodates an AQT.  You can either split the rest of the fencing with others, or just save the other 3/4 for future use.

Per 50ft fence you'll also need:
8 tent stakes
about 30ft of paracord
small zip-ties
5x 2ft long sections of 1/2" conduit (I bought a 10ft piece for $2 and cut it in the parking lot with a tube-cutter)
10x 2ft sections of 3/8" rebar  (Home Depot had pre-cut 2ft sections for about $1.40 ea., I could've saved about $6 by doing the same as above and buying one 20ft piece, but I didn't have a hacksaw with me.)
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

azmule

Zip-tie the conduit sections to the 2ftx50ft fencing every 12 1/2 feet, tie 7 or 8ft of paracord tightly to the center of each end.

*NOTE:  It is important to use enough zip-ties on the end conduits, make 'em tight, and keep the top and bottom ones close as you can to the top and bottom of the fence.  If your fence "belly's" the top strap is likely slipping through a too loose zip-tie.

As uniformly as you can, bend the last 2 inches of one end of each rebar section about 30 degrees - the exact angle isn't as important as all of them being close to the same.

Then file or grind the outside of each bent 2" end as shown, until the OD minus the grind is a little less than 1/2 of the conduit ID, or about 0.3" thick - as shown below.

All done and ready to put up!

azmule

Drive the first end-stake into the ground and tie off the paracord in a taught-line hitch, then starting at the near end post, working your way down the fence to the far end post, insert 2 of the rebar legs flat-to-flat into the bottom of each conduit as shown.  At the far end, drive the other end-stake and tie-off with another taught-line hitch - straighten the fence and tighten each end as needed.  VOILA!  Portable, up in minutes, only 2 stakes need to be driven.

Mrs. Smith

You, sir, are one clever son of a gun. I see this working well for a 25 meter event at Ft. Bliss, instead of those insanely heavy target stands they have!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

azmule

Yup, this stuff is so easy to deal with, I prefer to use it even at ranges that supply backers.  I made up several 10ft short fences to set up at various ranges when shooting in the desert with friends too.

azmule

Testing at several shoots now has proven that you will need to guy down the center post at least in winds over about 8mph, but if you guy down all three mid-posts and pull it all nice and tight, that fence stays steady in winds gusting up to 30mph so far.  Tie 2 pieces of 3.5ft long paracord near the bottom of each of the three mid-post conduits.  Drive extra stakes to guy front and back if they're needed - leave the paracord dangle if they aren't.

I use clothespins from the dollar store to hold targets to the fence for Appleseed, I can usually find 50 packs for a buck or thereabouts.  However, the fence I have for personal use, instead of hauling a big bag of clothespins around, I just use a little Tot office stapler to staple paper directly to fence plastic.  I just roll it back up with targets on it when done and clean off staples at home later.

Sgt-at-Arms

Kenneth Dawyne Pirtle
"Sgt-at-Arms"

"we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

stoneknives

Been using a similar system at my shoots in Florida.

I started out with steel posts but have recently switched to Portable Electric Fence Posts. You can pick them up for 2.50$ at Home Depot.

Very light and just roll them up with the fence. Non-Metallic for ranges that have rules about metallic posts.

Just like the other shown you might have to throw a few guy lines in if the wind blows hard. (I haven't as of yet)

Henry
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

Charles McKinley

I'll try the 2 foot version this year.  I've been using steel post and a full 4 foot fence.  This system is way easier if you have to bring or move a target line.

Thanks for the idea.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

maxwell

Quote from: Charles McKinley on January 08, 2019, 11:39:23 PM
I'll try the 2 foot version this year.  I've been using steel post and a full 4 foot fence.  This system is way easier if you have to bring or move a target line.

This system is super easy to deal with, and you only have to hammer stakes in for the guys. I had one complaint last year about light showing through, but oh well. I bought a roll of 4 ft fence from the orange Borg, and cut the roll in half with a handsaw as soon as I got it home. Just a hint in case anyone was tempted to use scissors. ;D

dart67eb

We just use the plastic fence posts at @ $1.69 per and some wire. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/american-farmworks-4-ft-white-step-in-fence-post?cm_vc=-10005  Use one post for every 2 post lengths (8ft).  2 -3 targets between posts.  Use old IDPA backers for target backers. 
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

GTEngineer

I've made my adaptation of AZmule's target line setup.  I upgraded a bit to a larger diameter metal conduit and thicker rebar but it has held up very well through several events and will be used for at least 4 more this year.  Some of the WA state instructors here have seen my version of the setup at some events.  I've had no complaints from any shooters so far.

Couple of things to keep in mind:
1. The safety fence likes to sag, if you do this make sure your conduit supports are tied well to the fence to take up as much slack as you can to keep the fence nice and straight.
2. In my experience, do not go over 25 feet in length because it becomes difficult to manage the sag.
3. Dollar stores carry packs of wooden cloth hangers, perfect for hanging targets on the safety fence.
4. Bring extra paracord, one of my lines that I had setup the evening before had a guy line chewed through by a critter, luckily I was able to repair the line and keep it going.
5. Keep things on the fence to an absolute minimum, the safety fence will support the targets perfectly without the need of a backer.  Backers just add weight which will cause the whole setup to sag over time.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA