News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Passing of DrRichP

Started by Corvette, December 14, 2018, 04:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

To Ohio AS,

I am saddened to report that Appleseed lost one of its biggest supporters.  DrRichP (Rich Pistolose) passed last night in his home.  Rich was a key member of the Great Lakes team and a personal friend of mine.  The program will miss his support and efforts.  Rich was the Great Lakes Coordinator, a member of the AOC and a positive force in the program.  Rich's non-stop efforts to advance the mission were unique and he was instrumental in the advancement of all our efforts.  He will be greatly missed. 

I will be coordinating Ohio's response to this terrible event.  If any of you want more info or wish to extend your condolences, please PM me and I will forward accordingly.

This is a big loss for the program.  I will miss Rich's passion and commitment to the program.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Laredo

I just heard a few hours ago.  Tragic.

He taught me and my daughters everything we know.  Him and Triggernick.  He became a good friend and before he moved to Florida would have lunch together pretty regularly.  He was such an amazing advocate to Project Appleseed.

We did a ton of events together and had so much fun doing them.  He always pushed me and my girls to be better shooters.  He would never let us get away with any mistakes when on the line.  I credit my ability to shoot the hair off a gnats ars to him! 

He was such a child in an adults body.  Always up to something mischievous and fun.  He loved to have fun and kid around.

I will remember him most by his unending generosity.  He will be missed. 

My prayers go out to his wife.
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Corvette

Could not agree more, he was constantly stirring the pot to create interest in the program.  He was always looking for an angle to get people more involved in the program.  He will be missed so much.  I am crushed by his passing.  Thanks for your comments here.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

airplanejoe

Fair winds and following seas my friend.

Jose

TheMenace

Two true Appleseeders!
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

colonial shooter

This is truly sad news. I for one will miss our conversations and his dedication to Appeseed. RIP my brother, will see you when I too am called home!
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jerry Hall

Happy Trails Dr Rich, I'll catch up with you on the next stage of the journey. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

TaosGlock

Sad news indeed.  :(
We corresponded many times and talked on the phone.
A top notch patriot and Appleseed supporter.
You will be missed.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

BamaFan7

My deepest and most sincere condolences to his family and friends. I have heard nothing but wonderful things of him.
"where the body of the people, or any single man, is deprived of their right, or is under the exercise of a power without right, and have no appeal on earth, then they have a liberty to appeal to heaven, whenever they judge the cause of sufficient moment."

Weezer

I'm glad we're all on the forum so you can't see me bawling like a schoolgirl.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he's not going to pick up the phone (the Bluetooth in his car - he seemed to always be in his car) and give off that distinctive, mischievous Dr. Rich giggle.   

The Appleseed program has not known a better friend or stronger supporter.  Rich was always up to something - he was a guy whose ideas were almost as big as his heart and he worked diligently to take care of instructors while growing the program.   I don't know how he did it, but he always had time for a chat, always had time to listen to an idea, always figured out a way to solve (or get around) a problem. 

I'm glad to have counted him among my close friends and I'm devastated that he's gone so soon.   We all are.   :'(
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

2 clicks low

I am so sorry to hear this. The world has lost a great man, doctor and teacher.
Please give my condolences to his wife and family.
He will be missed.

2 clicks low
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

scuzzy

There are no words to describe how saddened I am so I won't even try.

I love you brother and I'm gonna miss the hell out of you.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Ragnar Delta

God bless his family.

Rest In Peace, Rich.

We are diminished.

Steck

Stunned and saddened... it seems like only months ago that I watched Dr. Rich earn his Red Hat from DonD in southern Illinois.

May God comfort his friends and family, and reassure us that He will be waiting for us.

scuzzy

Quote from: Steck on December 14, 2018, 11:38:41 PM
Stunned and saddened... it seems like only months ago that I watched Dr. Rich earn his Red Hat from DonD in southern Illinois.

Steck - I think you'll like this pic.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

The Wolfhound

Rich and I had talked on the phone a number of times over the last few years.  I was surprised and pleased to meet him in the flesh at RAMSEUR 8-17! IBC.  It was there that he got that gray hat from the hand of Fred.  We could not have had a better ally in extending the reach of our program.  He was always positive and caring.  He was determined to look after folks.  I remember him chiding an instructor to keep up with his A1-C levels.  He was also determined to look after Fred.  I do not know if he did this elsewhere but those of us around the campfire at RAMSEUR 8-17! heard a most amazing and emotional telling of the story of Francis Scott Key and the Star Spangled Banner.  This is a memory I will cherish.  I hope others got to hear it along the way.  Brothers and Sisters, part of the weight you feel in your hearts about this is the giant share of the load which Rich was carrying; it now belongs to us.  Shoulder it and keep moving forward and remember a man who took the time to save his country and knew well what he was about.  My prayers and sympathy go out to all who knew him.
HUZZAH
HUZZAH
HUZZAH

VietVet

Absolutely shocked and completely saddened. I'll miss this man. I never had the honor of meeting him in person but had many telephone conversation with him.

RIP my friend. Prayers inbound for him and his family.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

little buddy

FourFans

Myself and all the Alaska cadre are saddened and heartbroken, he sure was a phone and email shoulder to lean on.
I wish I'd met the man.

All Respects
  --FourFans
"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

Josey Wales

My sincerest condolences and prayers go out to Rich, his family and friends. I had the pleasure of speaking to DrRichP a few times and he was caring, understanding and fair almost to a fault. He convinced me to error on the side of caution and kindness in a particular situation. I learned to be a better person. Thank you Rich, travel well my friend..
..Strength & Honor, Josey Wales..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

azmule

This is awful news - and a big loss!  DrRich, you will be missed!
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Flipper

Thank you DrRichP for your dedication to the program and your commitment to the cause. I am sorry to hear of your passing. Rest In Peace

Flipper

PHenry

Via con Dios DrRich.

Big shoes to fill for sure.

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

hogfamily

A true American Patriot.

You will be missed Brother.

Godspeed til we meet in Heaven.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

Laredo

There he is at the biggest shoot I have ever done.  67 shooters and 16 instructors as I remember.  He was instrumental in putting that weekend together.

Dr Rich is sitting on the far right. 
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Leadlined

Laredo, I remember that one - April 2015.  I'd shot Rifleman the previous fall and was on the fence about taking a hat. Dr. Rich and his work to get that event going is why I'm an instructor today.  I'm on one knee on the subjects' right in that picture. 

Last thing I remember hearing from him was how he has an investment in us here - in me - and expects to see us all do well...
If I knew the world was ending today, I would still plant another Appleseedling. 
-Martin Luther

7/5/2014, First appleseed
9/20/2014, Rifleman
4/19/2015, Orange hat
10/15/2016, Red hat
9/11/2022, Shoot Boss
7/9/2023, Pistoleer™/Pistol Instructor
....and still working on it

Laredo

Quote from: Leadlined on December 17, 2018, 01:25:11 PM
Last thing I remember hearing from him was how he has an investment in us here - in me - and expects to see us all do well...

Wow.  You brought back memories.  Rich would always say, "I expect....".   Always!  He pushed everyone he met to be better than they were.  He pushed me into instructing also.  Being an instructor was so outside my comfort zone.  Being an introvert... being in front of people is about the very last thing I ever want to do on any given day.  But, he would constantly push me and everyone around him to be better.  "I expect you to...."  He had a way of saying it that was both encouraging and demanding...It was like he believed in us and that he already knew we were capable... but we didn't know yet...    If anyone else said those words to me....  well... it wouldn't end well.  But he had a way.

He is the embodiment of, "Iron sharpens Iron".

April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd

Corvette

Loredo/Leadlined,

He also was great at volunteering us for responsibilities and telling us about it later.  He was kind enough to "inform" me  that I was the new Ohio SC after he had already made the "promotion".  He knew I couldn't say no even though I didn't want the job at the time.  But, still here and still advancing the mission.  He always did it with that with a glint in his eye and a smile on his face that you could not get mad at.  Damn I miss him. 

Corvette 

Guntuckian

Rich was instrumental in getting me to RH, and to State Coordinator, and in pushing me to become a Shoot Boss, and also in taking the Social Media responsibilities for a bunch of AS Facebook pages.  He had a special skill in pushing folks outside their comfort zone.  I will miss him greatly.  It is ironic, too, he passed on the same day as the anniversary of George's Washington's passing.  Perhaps the Founders needed a good coordinator in heaven.  Requiescat in pace, DrRichP.

-- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

nyrasgt

A solid man - as with many like him, not able to be replaced - only emulated, and honored, as a role model and inspiration.
Excelsior, big guy, excelsior.
madMark/nyrasgt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846