News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Blue Ridge Dec 1-2 Appleseed

Started by CokeGuy, December 04, 2018, 01:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CokeGuy

Out of respect, I started the day on Saturday by sharing a comment about my brief personal encounter with President George H. W. Bush and how he interacted with me as "just one of the guys" in line to be served BBQ. Also gave short comments about his Navy pilot experience and a prayer for his family. Then, Boone Caudill presented First Strike.

Improvise, adapt and overcome were the operative words for both days of this event! We started by planning each day to be short because of the cold, wet, windy weather and the limited time for many shooters who had long distances to drive.  Three-plus inches of rain on Saturday and the mud and very strong winds on Sunday came as no surprise. Fortunately, on Saturday we had ground cover supplemented with tarps and a total of 6 popups, all of which kept us from suffering from constant direct heavy rain, but the mud was another issue. I am so proud of the 12 shooters who showed up on Saturday in spite of the forecast! During the introduction I explained that rain will not hurt a rifle IF you immediately at the end of the day dry it, clean it, and oil it. To emphasize the point, I displayed a very rusty rifle barrel that had not been properly cared for (not one of mine).

These 12 brave souls maintained very positive attitudes throughout both days...they even had fun! Thanks to Cleveland for bringing two propane heaters. My portable fire pit and wood were useless due to the incessant rain. We did a Red Coat, completed the usual instruction during the morning,  and did only one single sequence of a squares target, co-mingled with Talking Targets and IMC. Then, we progressed through the green training target and the associated instruction. Most of the folks had been to a previous Appleseed, so their groups got smaller quickly. During lunch Corgi Mom delivered a memorable version of Second Strike with such passion and supplemental comments that I felt no Benediction was needed at the end of the day. Huzzah!
By mid-afternoon all were ready to pack up for time to get to their accommodations and thaw out, dry out and clean themselves and their gear to prepare for Sunday.

On Sunday, we began with Third Strike and some DOM and Brave Women stories, then a comprehensive review since we had 5 more on the line. After the Red Coat and a few squares, we were ready to shoot AQTs. Paul and Lindy, so happy to see you both again! You both are improving every time, and Rifleman patches are clearly in your future! Wes and Jake, congratulations on shooting Rifleman scores again. Wes, we hope that you will follow through on taking an Orange Hat. Jake, would love to have you back in the program, but understand how three little ones can be exhausting. Renee, Renee, Renee...what a delight to see you and David in Sevierville two weeks ago, then you again with your Dad and Karen and Jerry in Blue Ridge! So happy to see the great progress you are making; I am confident the Rifleman patch is just one or two more events away. Your cheerful, positive attitude about everything was contagious! Thank you. Tommy, we all thank you for bringing the gallon of hot apple cider and cups on Saturday, and then arriving with your Ft. Oglethorpe group on Sunday morning. Can't say that I blame you for deciding to skip the dreadful weather on Saturday for your group of young and new shooters. We hope to see all of you again soon.

I am so proud of 10 year old Kayleigh who maintained complete control of her rifle, with muzzle downrange, while being hit in the head by the collapsing popup frame on Sunday. In fact, all of you, instructors and shooters, reacted so quickly and safely to secure all of the popups when that horrific burst of wind came through. We were then able to safely remove the covers and continue with the event through the strong winds. Our two brand new Orange Hats, TN Beast and Al, were a pleasure to work with. At this, their first Appleseed event as IITs, we let them begin to learn and apply their skills by helping with administration, parking lot, Safety Rules, Safe Rifle, serving as models and as Line Boss for some segments of the days. Well done. My sincere thanks to all instructors for stepping up. You folks make life enjoyable for the SB. Pictures to follow.

Stockbreaker

As always, it was a pleasure to learn with a fantastic group, and interact with all volunteers and an excellent cadre of instructors. In retrospect, what mud? Sincere thanks to all involved.

Cleveland

What an amazing group of shooters, in some of the worst conditions I have ever experienced at an Appleseed event.  I hope to see you all back on the line soon.

Huzzah
Cleveland
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Tennessee Beast

Our shooters were Hard Core.  They all have my respect.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Leadslinger66

Agree with all comments thus far. Great group of determined shooters! Excellent example of what we mean when we say a rifleman persists. Hope to see you all on the line again soon!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Leadslinger66

Quote from: Scuba Steve on December 04, 2018, 07:03:56 PM
This is Steve (the bald guy with the wild beard and wilder eyebrows) and I have to say that I had a fantastic time.  High praise for the entire staff that worked the event  and nothing but respect for my fellow participants who enjoyed all of what we used to call in Seattle "Liquid Sunshine".

I don't think I heard anybody seriously complain, certainly nobody took themselves too seriously and I promise you that there will be at least one or two more Appleseeds in my future to get patched in, then we will see what comes next.  I know for a fact that it's in me, I made some great gains over the weekend, now just a matter of mindful practice of the fundamentals and taking each shot with focus.

And darn you CokeGuy, you got me thinking about KD events, and browsing for parts for an AR build.  (and TNBeast, I'll probably take you up on your offer, if for nothing else come guidance when it comes time to put it all together).  Of course I've already justified it by saying I'll save a lot of money by reloading my own ammo.  (of course I will   ::)  )

Talk at ya later.

Steve

Scuba Steve, I know you'll get that patch soon! You came with a teachable attitude and a goal. As far as an AR15 build, just remember that we teach that you can do this with a rack grade rifle and surplus ammo. Of course, building your own AR15 is fun, and, as Master Instructor Maximum Ordinate says, AR15s are like barbie dolls for men. You can dress them up any way you like!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Angus

Thanks to all our volunteers, especially Corgi Mum for keeping Lindy warm. We will return the socks that you loaned us at the next event. We had a great time, and will both persevere toward our patches. I will always remember the image of my bullets cutting through the rain as they traveled down range. See you all soon.

ChattyNooga

I'm hooked!!  I just love the incredible people that make Appleseed possible, who are kind, generous, supportive, family- and friend-oriented folks.  This is was my 3rd event, and my experience has been the same every time.  I'm so appreciative of how positive everyone has been through oppressive heat, freezing cold, and now sideways, cold rain!  Strength and character always!!  Everett, I had you in mind when I came up with my forum name ;-)  I'm still grinnin'!!  Can't wait for spring events and a KD!!
Renee

"It is not the critic who counts; not the (wo)man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the (wo)man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends (her)himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if (s)he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that (her)his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."  ~~Roosevelt

ChattyNooga

Quote from: ChattyNooga on December 05, 2018, 01:23:18 PM
I'm hooked!!  I just love the incredible people that make Appleseed possible, who are kind, generous, supportive, family- and friend-oriented folks.  This is was my 3rd event, and my experience has been the same every time.  I'm so appreciative of how positive everyone has been through oppressive heat, freezing cold, and now sideways, cold rain!  Strength and character always!!  Everett, I had you in mind when I came up with my forum name ;-)  I'm still grinnin'!!  Can't wait for spring events and a KD!!
Renee

"It is not the critic who counts; not the (wo)man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the (wo)man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends (her)himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if (s)he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that (her)his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."  ~~Roosevelt

ChattyNooga

Pics... :pics:
Renee

ChattyNooga

Renee

CorgiMom

I was impressively amazed at this group of participants, especially those that endured the elements on Saturday, still eager to learn about liberty, marksmanship, and our rich heritage! Well done, all! A big congrats to Wes and Jake, and also to those that improved this weekend! Keep persisting!

Huzzah!
Rifleman and KD Qualified 19Apr2018
KD Re Qualified 15July2018
KD Re Qualified Distinguished 04Nov2018
IBC Canton 1-19
Red Hat 13Apr2019
25M Re Qualified 02May2020
IBC Canton 2-21
IBC Antioch 3-21
25M Re Qualified 17April2021