Author Topic: Tippmann - M4-22  (Read 3120 times)

Offline scuzzy

• Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
Tippmann - M4-22
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »
Tippmann M4 22 Pro Review by scuzzy

This little rifle rocks.

In fact, the instructors here at Appleseed that have tested this rifle decided we wanted to partner with Tippmann to produce an Appleseed Special Edition of the Tippmann Arms M4-22 PRO. Complete with an Appleseed logo & sling and sling mount. And it even comes with a free float handguard and sling mounted.

The Appleseed Edition can be pre-ordered directly from Tippmann and will ship starting around April 1, 2019.

Read on to see why we like this rifle so much.

When I first got this rifle I had no idea a company called Tippmann even made an AR style 22. Tippmann? Isn't that the same guys that make paintball guns? Yup - that's the guys.

I then called up Tippmann and talked to Denny Tippmann Jr. It turns out that Tippman isn't new to making firearms. In fact they used to make a belt fed full auto .22 many years ago based on the M1919. However, with the passage of the 1986 Gun Control Act it was such a pain to comply with regulations that they decided to stop making them.

Here's a really cool video of the full auto they made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9M3de5mISY

Denny and his kids are all shooters. And in fact, his kids were the ones that got him started down the road to create the M4-22. They wanted a 'cool' 22 to shoot with. So he got started. And since Denny is a shooter he's continually working on improvements. Tippmann actually bought a bunch of new machines just to create this rifle. And all made in the USA by the way.

Now I'm a skeptical type so of course, my first thought was to see just how reliable it is.

Pulling it out of the box I noticed that unlike many AR 22s this one operates just like it's big brother. The forward assist works just like the AR15. And so does the bolt release and mag release. Even the charging handle. Everything is just like an AR15.

So I put it through my usual torture test. And now 2,000 rounds later I can say that yes, it's pretty dang reliable.

And the really nice thing about it is it's not picky about ammo unlike some of the AR 22s out there. It'll even eat CCI Standard Velocity ammo and be happy about it. Lots of the AR 22s out there can't say the same. When I first got it I had a few failures to feed of CCI Standard but after I'd put a few hundred rounds through it that problem cleared up. I've had that happen with other 22s though so no biggie - I even had a Ruger 10/22 which was a dog on all ammo until it broke in.

The CCI Standard Velocity is subsonic and lead tip so lots of rifles can sometimes have problems with it. However, it's really accurate ammo too.

When using the high-velocity copper jacketed ammo I never had a problem. And that was all different brands of that type of ammo. I had a jar with about 800 hundred rounds of mixed brands a friend had given me. I figured I'd feed it through the rifle. Never a problem.
OK - at that point I'm starting to get impressed. I hadn't really tested for accuracy at that point since I wanted to check for reliability. I would just load up the 25 round mags that come with it and squeeze off rounds as quick as I could.

So then on to the next phase of testing - Accuracy. So is it accurate?

It's accurate. At the last Appleseed I volunteered at I decided I needed to get some trigger time in with my Tippmann.  I scored a 234 which isn't bad at all. I should have done better but that was my fault and had nothing to do with the accuracy of the rifle. So it shoots well.
But that was on me. It pretty much hit where I called the shots. I did have a few flyers but I wasn't using match ammo. Flyers are a fact of life.

Man - I  wonder if I ought to pop for Federal Gold Match just for testing purposes?

And one word on the magazines that come with it - genius. These mags look and feel very well made. It has stainless steel feed ramps and inserting rounds into the mag is very easy. And you really want to read the manual on inserting ammo into the magazine. Or see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_8Z588kypo

Don't get stupid like me. I didn't bother reading the manual. When I first prepared a magazine I thought that dang these are hard to get ammo into. I didn't know that a 'dust cover' slid down and then even better a spring-loaded follower could be pulled down thus making it a piece of cake to insert rounds. So watch the vid above or read the manual.

The 22Plinkster guy has a good review too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOloXNR116M

And another review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itr_kJKf2-4

In fact there are tons of reviews of this rifle on youtube. And the general consensus is:

It rocks.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 12:47:01 PM by scuzzy »
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein.

They've got us surrounded, the poor bastards. - Chesty Puller.

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline 2 clicks low

• Shoot Boss
Re: Tippman - M4-22
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »
That is not a GI sling, just a strip of nylon(?) and 2 buckles.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Offline scuzzy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »

Fixed text. I already replaced mine with a Magpul RLS (Rifleman Loop Sling). First thing I did.

https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-rls-sling

Since the collapsible stock didn't have a way of connecting a standard GI Sling I used the Magpul which actually worked pretty good.

Update: Kimber Custom said I could just connect the j-hook of the GI Sling to the 'slot' at the bottom of the butt stock. So it'll work with the GI Sling. That said the Magpul is kinda cool.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:06:22 AM by scuzzy »

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

Offline Cmdr of Flying Saucer X-2

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:32:19 PM »
Tippman has a contest through tonight at midnight to win an M4-22. Not an AS one, but one none the less:

https://tippmannarms.us15.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=f538b273b6ec1ab2d33c0c3c7&id=f91e136b9b

Offline maxwell

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:24:31 PM »
Since the collapsible stock didn't have a way of connecting a standard GI Sling I used the Magpul which actually worked pretty good.

An Appleseed-branded rifle doesn't have a way of attaching a USGI sling? Will a standard milspec or commercial stock fit the extension tube? Even my rattly PSA collapsible stock has a nice swivel for a J-hook.

Offline scuzzy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:21:40 PM »
An Appleseed-branded rifle doesn't have a way of attaching a USGI sling? Will a standard milspec or commercial stock fit the extension tube? Even my rattly PSA collapsible stock has a nice swivel for a J-hook.

You can just use the slot in the bottom of the stock to hook on the j-hook.

You could also replace the stock if you wanted to. That part is standard as in regular ARs.

I did mention the sling issue when we first started discussion. However it would have been a lot of extra work for them to retool. I didn't consider it a deal breaker myself. I've come to like the RLS sling from Magpul anyhow. Not as much as a standard GI Sling but close. Although once I save up some more bucks I might just replace the stock since I like the A2 style personally. And the GI Sling is only 12 bucks

You can replace the trigger too with AR triggers. Although the trigger it comes with is fine - pretty smooth. Nicer than my Ruger for sure.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:49:32 PM by scuzzy »

Offline enkidu

• AppleCore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:08:26 PM »
Will they ship this to a Cali ffl?  Do they have 10 round mags?

Sorry... I live in the state that is being run down by communism.  :slap:

Offline maxwell

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 11:50:49 PM »
You can replace the stock. That part is standard as in regular ARs.

OK, thanks! I'm an A2/A1 guy myself, so I like the steel swivels. On my M4 stock with a tactical sling, I run the webbing through the upper slot and over the top of the stock, which works pretty well for carry or for prone usage (slung over the back, not in a hasty). It looks like that would work here, also.

Offline Nashville Stage

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 11:55:45 PM »
Thanks for the review, Scuzzy. I assume that the "Auto" position on the selector is just for looks?  ;D

Regarding the rear sling attachment point, would the J-clip on a USGI sling fit in the slot?
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Offline scuzzy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 12:01:47 AM »
Thanks for the review, Scuzzy. I assume that the "Auto" position on the selector is just for looks?  ;D

Regarding the rear sling attachment point, would the J-clip on a USGI sling fit in the slot?

Kimber Custom just let me know that the j-clip will work on the slot. Just tried it myself and it does work. Just never saw one done that way but hey you learn something new all the time

Offline BrotherPilot

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
Scuzzy
Will this be available at a later date for special order? I've sort of run through the gun budget already this year. Short sighted of me, clearly.  Do want one of these!
J

Offline scuzzy

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »
Scuzzy
Will this be available at a later date for special order? I've sort of run through the gun budget already this year. Short sighted of me, clearly.  Do want one of these!
J

Hey J,

Don't know. I'll ask though.

scuzzy

Update - yes. I'll send you a PM with contact info.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:05:54 PM by scuzzy »

Offline TomM1Thumb

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
How many Magazines come standard with this Rifle?  and What is the price of extras?

“The Constitution shall never be construed…to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”  – Alexander Hamilton

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tennessee Beast

• Instructor In Training 2
  • Riflemen Persist!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »
I don't KNOW the answer to the first one (the term "magazine" leads me to believe that it only comes with one), but extra mags are about $30 each.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:31:43 PM by Tennessee Beast »
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Offline scuzzy

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 04:48:45 PM »
How many Magazines come standard with this Rifle?  and What is the price of extras?

It'll come with 2 mags.

Offline Tennessee Beast

• Riflemen Persist!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 05:09:50 PM »

It'll come with 2 mags.

Yay!  I pre-ordered mine yesterday.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Offline Tennessee Beast

• Riflemen Persist!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 05:28:04 PM »
Will they ship this to a Cali ffl?  Do they have 10 round mags?

Sorry... I live in the state that is being run down by communism.  :slap:

I don't know because they also sell a "compliant model", but they do sell 10 round mags.

http://www.tippmannarms.com/tippmann-arms-m4-22-classic-compliant-model/

http://www.tippmannarms.com/m4-22-10-round-magazine/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:33:07 PM by Tennessee Beast »
John Lancaster Spalding

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Offline Greywolf

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 09:10:54 PM »

That is a GI sling. It's the same sling I carried my M16 with in Vietnam.

Offline Guntuckian

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 11:06:10 PM »
It looks like the so-called Silent Sling.  Nylon, so it didn’t rot as quickly as the cotton sling, in the jungle.  It is also quieter, with less metal buckle clanking. It also slips rather badly when damp with perspiration. Have tried it at Appleseeds, and I personally prefer the cotton GI sling intended for the M1 Garand, not the GI Silent Sling.  The reason is that the cotton sling doesn’t slip with heavy perspiration like we often have in the tropics in Florida. 
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
 /  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Offline goodoldfriend

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 10:08:10 AM »
My apologies if these questions have already been answered.

What mags does it use?
Are the sights included? If so, what brand are they?

Thanks for the heads up on this.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Offline Tennessee Beast

• Riflemen Persist!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 10:59:52 AM »
It uses Tippmann mags.  I don't know what else works.

The sights are included.  They are polymer and are branded as Tippmann.  They look like Magpul BUIS.
John Lancaster Spalding

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Offline sandanbob

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »
I didn't see a price.  Did I miss it?  Is it more than their standard models?

Offline Tennessee Beast

• Riflemen Persist!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »
I didn't see a price.  Did I miss it?  Is it more than their standard models?

It is $549.95, which is the same as the one without the logo. http://www.tippmannarms.com/tippmann-arms-m4-22-pro/

John Lancaster Spalding

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Offline Tennessee Beast

• Riflemen Persist!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »
According to Tippmann, the only mags that can be used in the M4-22 are their proprietary mags.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1143259

John Lancaster Spalding

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Offline Snow Snake

• Instructor in Training
  • My goal is to be better than I used to be.
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »
I can resist anything except temptation,I needed another .22.
                                      :F
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great

Offline edree

• Instructor In Training 3
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 10:53:33 AM »
Nowhere have I been able to find a price listed. Please advise.

Offline scuzzy

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 11:09:37 AM »

Offline Snow Snake

• Instructor in Training
  • My goal is to be better than I used to be.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
Hi Edree,
I preordered mine,it's going to be $550 including 2 mags.The reviews seemed favorable enough.

:F
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great

Offline papboyer

• Instructor in Training
Re: Tippmann - M4-22
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 08:51:23 PM »
Pre-ordered mine so I can't wait. A full gun safe is a happy gun safe  :F

Offline Prof22

Re: Tippmann - M4-22
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 08:48:17 PM »
I’ve got mine pre-ordered, and upgraded to the aluminum hand guard.