Author Topic: Appleseeder Accomplishments Outside the Program  (Read 272 times)

Offline Roswell

Appleseeder Accomplishments Outside the Program
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
Appleseeder Accomplishments Outside the Program

I am hoping that this article will be a recurring theme. Project Appleseed is fortunate enough to not only have some of the most skilled Instructors and Shooters in the community, but they are also just great people who do great things. Even while these accomplishments may be shooting related, these accomplishments may not always be in Project Appleseed. That doesn’t mean though we shouldn’t take notice. So, please allow me to shed some spotlight on some very deserving individuals.

The National Matches

The first people I’d like to discuss is a rather large group of Appleseeders that attended the National Matches of the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). The CMP describes the National Matches as follows, “The National Matches were first held in 1903, moved to Camp Perry, Ohio, in 1907 and continue to take place every summer at Camp Perry. The National Matches have become a huge, national shooting sports festival with well over 6,000 annual participants. School students and competition event shooters range from beginners to many of the world’s best”

This next portion of the article has been compiled from the reports of cwcdl79 & Birdman. Thank you both.

“2019 was the first year that Appleseed made a concerted effort to make our presence known at the national matches (to my knowledge). We coordinated our efforts in a couple of events.

Rimfire sporter had 15 appleseeders present. They brought home 9 medals (quite a feat)!!

[Specifics from Birdman on the Rimfire Sporter event] Birdman dinked a few to many shots and got a Silver in Tactical class, but I managed a gold with my trusty 10/22.

Cr0sswind (Calvin) had a mag not in all the way and lost 5 shots in rapid fire. There goes the ball game right there. He took home a gold though with his 10/22.

Brianna managed a gold with Calvin's 10/22 with a new trigger she had never shot. She then matched the same exact score with her custom built by me  :) AR-15 22lr.

My friend Mike was apparently warming up the first relay but was able to shoot a bronze score with my AR-15 22lr in his 2nd relay.

Nicolette, 15 yrs old, who shot a 240 at her first Orwell Project Appleseed event last year took home a bronze in Tactical class, with a ranking of 4th in the Junior Tactical and 8th in the women's Tactical class. Pretty good for a first timer!

Cadence got a T-class silver

[Thank you, Charley, for helping fill in some of the gaps with the following. - Yankee is my and little buddy’s son, little buddy is my husband. Yankee participated in the rim fire sporter, Presidents 100 taking 453 out of approx. 1100 people, the National trophy individual, and the Hearst doubles with little buddy. Little buddy participated in the rim fire sporter earning a bronze medal, Presidents 100, national trophy individual, Hearst doubles with Yankee, the Garand match and vintage team sniper match with me.]

I would like to thank Project Appleseed for providing matching shirts for most of us. We were noticed, as I overheard some CMP employees say "It looks like Appleseed is well represented this year!" I hope we can do even better at organizing the shirt handout next year. I gave out most of the trifolds, pens, and ECIs. The 4H groups were the easiest to talk to and were very receptive. Maybe we will get some of them on our lines in the future.

Garand match had 4 participants (1 medal) - Charley [again from Charley – I was in the Presidents 100, garand match earning a silver medal and ranking 52 out of approx. 850-900 people, and [participated in] the vintage team sniper with little buddy.]

Springfield/vintage military had 2 appleseeders [but no medals this year]

We all handed out trifolds, stickers, trigger training devices (pens), and empty chamber indicators while talking about the program [and] all while wearing matching Appleseed shirts

We’re looking forward to doing this again in 2020, hopefully with more appleseeders involved.”

Thank you again to Birdman for the below pictures.

Congratulations to all who medaled and well-done to everyone involved! Apologies to anyone that I failed to recognize. Please speak up in the comments.

The Well Armed Woman Shooting Chapters Trailblazer Award 2019

I’d also like to take the time to recognize one of our female Instructors in training; Christa Clayton Forrester, aka ChristaClayton. One of the many hats Christa wears is an Instructor for The Well Armed Woman. The Well Armed Woman Shooting Chapters is a nonprofit division of the TWAW organization with 10,000 members and more than 300 chapters in the United States. Christa was selected to receive the The Well Armed Woman Shooting Chapters Trailblazer Award 2019!

[In ChristaClayton’s own words] “I am honored and not sure my words will describe how I really feel.

Trailblazer”- a person who makes a new track through wild country. A Pioneer and Innovator.

You have one life, if the opportunity presents itself, do it. If you feel a passion, go for it. If you see a path, take it. You have one life, live it.

Have big dreams, set your goals high and never stop moving forward...even if it means taking 3 step backs.

Thank you, Carrie Lightfoot, you are an example of what a Trailblazer truly looks like.”

Congratulations Christa!

If you have someone that you wish to nominate for a future article and make sure they get the recognition they deserve, please send a PM to Roswell. Thank you.

In Liberty,
Roswell

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:37:28 PM by Roswell »
Known Distance Qualified:
Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50
Top Requal Score 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp:
Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15
Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16
Columbiana, AL 2-15
Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: