News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kingman AZ, Nov 10'th and 11'th

Started by HNHArmory, November 19, 2018, 06:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HNHArmory

Seven Mile Hill Range has been a long time host to Appleseed.  It's always fun to work this range as we always get shooters from very different locations. This event we even had locals who were range members, glad to have you!

After 'drinking from the fire hose' all morning shooters were making progress and asking great questions about the points of instruction. There was a light bulb moment for the whole group that shrunk groups below that 8 moa mark. After we re-reviewed some stead hold points, slings, and checking sight pictures.  Due to this great group of shooters we got to drills like 'carding the sights' and 'ball and dummy' before lunch.  After that it was time for transitions and we got in one AQT for score before end of day.  Unfortunately the pressure of the clock and transition caused some groups to widen.  But all enjoyed the challenge and knew what they needed to do to continue their rifleman's journey. 

Note we had two new production 1022's that had their rear sights loosen up and the stock bolts come undone.  I'd recommend a small tool kit with all the allens / screwdrivers you need to keep one tight.  Also, make sure they are tight before we establish zero!   Not one but two shooters had their groups shrink by fixing wobbly screws on their rear sights with the new factory picatinny rail.

Sunday morning proved to be a little colder and a lot more windy. After several calls cease fire and fix / repost targets, this wind proved to be more than our trusty target line could handle and ripped the snow fence and bent conduit it lived on. My shooters showed me that they could improvise, adapt, and overcome by 'liberating' some discarded target frames from other bays and moving the line to the back of our bay using the backstop for a little bit of wind break.  With our line now out of the shade and into the sun and dirt, we were back on our journey!

I have some tips for attending an AS here in the future.  The weather in Kingman is ever changing, prepare for exposure of yourself and your equipment.  I.e. wind blowing dirt on your and your rifle!  Eating a good lunch while we give our history lesson is really fun on this range and we all get into it.  While there is shade, we do spend some time exposed.  Stuff I would bring... hat, long selves (layers), a good shooting mat and / or elbow pads, 4x 10 round magazines, and of course a genuine GI Sling already attached to your rifle.  Feel free to email us with any questions before a shoot.
"...why are there 30 caliber holes in my target, Bryan?"