News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lapeer, MI November 11, 2018 Veterans day

Started by Superheat, November 12, 2018, 08:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superheat

First off, we had a student become ill and unable to stay.  We are all praying for a speedy recovery.  When he is ready, I would like to offer an invitation to attend another event as my guest.

10 days earlier this was a one day private event and the date just wasn't going to work for them.  Rather then cancelling, we opened it up to the public.  I'm sure glad we did.  Special thanks to Rangerat for filling the lines.

Yes indeed, we ran two line.  The ice house was working its magic as always.  The morning started out at 27 degrees and by the afternoon it had warmed up to balmy 34 degrees.

Congratulations to the rifleman:  The morning was cold enough to qualify for the Icicle patch: Sara, Tick wrangler and TnL.  On the big line Morris scored rifleman with a borrowed open sight rifle on his first day.  O0

Big thank you to our new instructors:  Pookie and ThreadNLead. 

Twolf told a wonderful first strike.  "They pretty much gave Paul Revere a Lamborghini"   ;D

I hope to see everyone again soon on the Appleseed trail.

Superheat.

Now some Pictures!

Tick Wrangler

"Did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" - Pink Floyd

Tick Wrangler

Thread N Lead and I are praying for a speedy recovery for the student whom was unable to stay with us. You're in our thoughts as you make your recovery.

I want to offer up congratulations to Pookie for taking an orange hat. It has been great to talk with you through out our Appleseeds together and I think you will be a make instructor.
Thread N Lead I'm proud of you.

The instructors, as usual, did an awesome job running and putting this event together. Thank you guys for not canceling the event and for opening it up to the public.
"Did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" - Pink Floyd

Tick Wrangler

Quote from: Tick Wrangler on November 13, 2018, 07:17:12 AM
I want to offer up congratulations to Pookie for taking an orange hat. It has been great to talk with you through out our Appleseeds together and I think you will be a make instructor.

Dont know how that happened.

It has been great to talk with you through out our Appleseeds together and I think you will make a great instructor.

Super Trooper

What a group of patriots that came out in the cold and snow to learn about the first group of U.S. veterans on Veterans Day.  Congratulations to our two newest orange hats, thanks for stepping up.  Also congrats to the four that earned patches Sunday.  To those still working on it, remember that a rifleman patch isn't the destination, it's just a mile marker on the riflemans' journey. 

See you all on the Appleseed trail. 
The hardest distance to shoot is the six inches between your ears.  It gets easier when you get out of your own way.  Self doubt and negative self talk have no place on the firing line. 
Once a shot is gone... good or bad, it is gone.   Focus on the next one. Make forty good first shots.

T. WOLF

I was surprised & happy to see some familiar shooters from the Kingston event. What a difference two months makes in Michigan, eh?  Hard to imagine we were all sweating in 85 degree humidity less than two months ago.

I really appreciate the attention everyone mustered on my behalf during First Strike, considering the circumstances at the time. It's never easy to see a fellow human suffering, and I'm grateful to everyone who responded where they were needed, or just helped to keep morale up. I am not surprised though - it doesn't matter if you are a newbie, an experienced shooter, an instructor, or an instructor-in-training: Project Appleseed is a family for the day, and family looks out for each other.

Hats off to the team of shooters in the ice house. You made life easy on me and Trooper, and your marksmanship skills are a force to be reckoned with!  Tim - keep after it, buddy - you are so close.  Practice at home getting comfortable with your seated positions and learn to trust your NPOA - you will be shooting 210+ in no time.  It would be great to see you back in Lapeer in January (if you can stand the cold). Perseverance pays off - I know from experience!

I left my camera in my pocket for most of the day as Trooper and I were focused on the line, but I managed to capture a couple shots of our newest orange hats, Pookie & ThreadNLead.  Super excited to have you join the team - I think I met you both for the first time in Fenton last spring. Amazing progress. I hope to see you both at the IBC this February.

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

Rangerat67

No one seemed to notice the temperature and it was a great day for learning marksmanship and heritage.  I could see the six steps and steady hold factors becoming second nature.  As an added bonus, this group set the bar for making rifles safe.  It was good to see John and J.W. again - you are both getting close to that patch.  Paul, for a first timer, your seated position scores are impressive.  I look forward to seeing you and Chris at a future event.  Meri - back to back 208's - nice shooting!

Congratulations to our four riflemen.  For those with the "icy patch", time to work for the red one! 

Welcome Pookie and ThreadNLead, I look forward to working with you and I'll see you at the IBC (Instructor Boot Camp) this February.

A big thank you to Chris and John for helping our fellow Appleseeder in need.  Your calm and professional treatment was very much appreciated.  We are all praying for a speedy recovery!

Rangerat67

I am happy to report that our patriot that became ill is doing fine and will be back on a line soon.  He noted that his group size was tighter than ever that morning with only one shot off the 1" square.  That elusive rifleman patch is in sight! 

ThreadNLead "TL"

Firstly, as always, THANK YOU to all the instructors who came out and made this event so great! I don't want to say I'm happy a private group backed out, but....I'm glad we got to come!

Congratulations to all the Rifleman this time! (Especially my husband Tick Wrangler... So proud of you! *cue sappy "awww"*
This blue patch does look pretty cool! I guess I'm collecting all the specialty patches before getting the regular one lol.
Patches aren't the goal, just a pretty cool bonus. Personally I strive to improve the stage (of the AQT) that I considered my worst stage, of the last few AQTs. I also kinda compete with myself to beat my last score (overall and per stage).

Congrats to Pookie for taking a hat! I'm excited to see you at our first IBC this year!

Here's some pics...

TWolf demonstrating

TWolf's First Strike (great job!)

Shootboss staying hydrated? OR just staying warm?

AQT Explanation... Someone caption Super Trooper's face here!

Loved my Purple Riflewoman Hat, but this new Orange one is pretty cool too  ;)

Dutiful Lineboss

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams
Super Trooper, forever in my heart.
First Patch: (was a) KD 10/27/18
Winterseed Patch: 11/11/18
Orange Hat: 11/11/18
"InfernoSeed": 7/20/19
Red Hat: 4/18/21
KD: 11/26/23
Morgan's Shingle/Star (prone and standing): 11/26/23

mrsurplus

Right from the get go, I could tell this was going to be a great shoot. Lots of returning shooters chasing the Rifleman's Patch and the ever elusive Icicle Patch. Everyone was attentive and really tried to apply the instruction as best they could.  Hats off (or on in this case) to our new Orange hats, thanks for stepping up! A finer group of people you will never find.

Chris and Jenny, keep working on your transitions and smoothing out your mag changes and the score will come. It was a pleasure seeing John and JW on the line again, and congrats to Morris for scoring his Rifleman patch. Meri, just keep your focus in your stage 2 and 3, score with all your rounds and you are there.

Wanted to let all the shooters know how much all the instructors appreciated your attention to safety. I think there were only two minor safety issues all day which was great.

I hope to see many of you on the line again in 2019 and I look forward to working with all our new Orange Hats.

MrSurplus
" There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism"
- Alexander Hamilton
" The key to life is how you deal with plan B" - Stephan Dias

FC1

Thank you to all of the instructors especially, #6, Mr Surplus, Range Rat and Super Heat for your attention and helpful instruction.  Jenny and I improved over our last Appleseed and look forward to practicing and improving.  Learning many helpful hints and techniques that will improve our scores.  I had a great time and didn't even notice it was cold!  Great facility!  Thank you Lapeer Sportsman club for hosting us and providing a comfortable facility.  It's great to hear Tom is recovering and I we can shoot together again soon.  I look forward to attending Winterseed in January.  Now time to practice those transitions and steady hold techniques. :F