News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

El Paso, TX October 20-21 Event, El Paso Community College

Started by Mrs. Smith, October 22, 2018, 03:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Howdy from the high desert, all!

This weekend's event was a treat, with folks coming in from Alamogordo, NM, Austin, TX, and (get this) London, England!

One family, consisting of father Armando and sons Chris and Mason, did a little traveling.  Chris is a soldier stationed at Ft. Bliss. Armando is an American currently living in London, and Mason goes to school in Austin.  When Dad and Mason said they were visiting, they all decided to participate in our event as a family!  They all were showing SOLID progress by the end of the first day, with some really impressive groupings, and I have no doubt that at least a couple of them would have scored Rifleman had they been able to return on Sunday.  Thanks for coming, gentlemen, and we hope to see you all again!   :beer:

Eight year old Shooter (yup, that's his real name!) joined us with his Dad Mateo and Mom Nicole.  Shooter and Nicole joined us on the mats, while Mateo supervised his son.  Everyone did well, Shooter putting LOTS of rounds on paper and Nicole making steady improvements in her groups and accuracy.  We very much enjoyed having you with us!   :partytime:

Mandy and Nate joined us together, both only with experience in handgun and their Army training.  They both worked hard and made significant progress.  One or two more events, you two, and you'll earn that Rifleman's patch!

Jim joined us as the only participant brave enough to shoot with iron sights on his 10/22.  His challenge was greater, and therefore his improvement was really hard-earned!  He's determined to get to know his rifle better, and come back to us and try it again.  See you soon, Jim!

Al showed up with a .30-.30, ready to tackle the AQT with full firepower, but when he realized how loud it would be for the other participants in our indoor facility, he graciously agreed to borrow a .22 from one of our instructors.  He didn't let us down, either, being the first to score Rifleman with an EXACT 210, and later again with a 213.  Instructor Jerry got the honor (and pleasure!) of baptizing Al in icy cold Concord River water for that exact 210 score.  Pics to come!   **)

Anna and her Dad Carlos are repeat offenders, of a sort.  Anna has shot with us several times, and she gets better EVERY SINGLE time.  Carlos has attended each time Anna has, but this was the first event where he got to actually get down on the mat and shoot.  He didn't let us down!  He showed that he'd been paying attention every event when he knocked out a 214 on Sunday.  That accomplishment prompted us to offer him a change of hat color. You see, Carlos has been wearing a Blue AppleCore hat since May, but this weekend he accepted the challenge of becoming an Orange hat Instructor in Training.  His son, Juan Carlos, got his Orange hat earlier this year, and we couldn't be happier to have this team in our ranks.   ^:)^

Lauren and Chuck came to see us from Alamogordo, NM. They joined us in July, and I guess they just couldn't stay away!  Lauren earned her Rifleman in July in our Adaptive program, and they both turned in solid performances this weekend. So solid, in fact, that Chuck shot an AWESOME 228 before lunchtime on Sunday, earning his Rifleman's patch. Lauren and Chuck both graciously accepted the Blue hat of Applecore volunteers.  No doubt they will be invaluable assets as we try to revive Project Appleseed in the Tularosa Basin of New Mexico.   :bow:

Last, but DEFINITELY not least were Heidi and Chris.  They came to us not really knowing what to expect, and leaving pretty darn glad they came!  Chris is retired Army, so he adapted to this style of shooting quickly, turning in our high score of the weekend on his 2nd AQT with a 229.  Heidi is a naturalized citizen, with almost no exposure to shooting sports, and it was our pleasure to introduce her to the history and heritage of her adopted country, and helping instill in her a love of the art of rifle marksmanship.  She made real gains over the weekend on a borrowed rifle, and I do believe she'll have one of her very own in the near future!   :1luvu

Thank you everyone so much for coming out to spend your weekend learning about your history and heritage, and spending time behind your rifles!  We didn't have as many instructors as we are accustomed to having, so we weren't able to take many pictures.  That being said, PLEASE do share with us any photos you may have taken over the weekend.

Until next time!!!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Grandpa Chuckie

This is our second Appleseed event. WOW! What a great program! The people attending these events are awesome; instructors eager to teach/demonstrate/direct/lead and then students willing to learn/question/test/and challenge themselves. A win/win combination. Rewards on both ends! With Traci taking the lead, all the instructors and trainees determined to teach and demonstrate the art of shooting, and most importantly, the lessons our forefathers left for us to learn and remember!

My wife and myself had mechanical difficulties but as we struggled, we learned. I took a break and watched the other shooters and was humbled seeing others with their own challenges! Yet, everyone did what the could while learning and laughing, taking it in stride.

Traveling to the El Paso Community College to shoot in Law Enforcement Training Academy's INDOOR Range is a privilege that few experience! What a facility! Shoot out to Jason and Mike supers of the LETA range!

I've posted a few photos of I was able to take while observing on Sunday afternoon. The last one shows anyone can do these events and have a great time learning!!!! Thank you to 8 yr old "Shooter" (the last photo) for your determination, and thanks to your supportive parents!!!

Such a happy time!! Thanks to all the Appleseed instructors!! Especially to the young trainees like Juan Carlos, and Fernie!!! (Inspiration to us older newbies!)
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

"No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear." - Edmund Burke

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Jerry Hall

Greetings All Appleseeders,
We had a wonderful weekend of Appleseeding fun, wish you all could have been there to enjoy the weekend, indoors, while the weather sprinkled of and on all weekend.
Those whom had signed up and then failed to come and participate have no idea what they missed... :snipersmi
While those who have made the commitment and followed through, know just how much fun it is to shoot indoors (flush toilets, running hot and cold water, snack machines and a microwave to heat up lunch). :beer:
Till the next time, Happy Trails,
Jerry

PS: Here's hoping to see Y'all there!  ..:..
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Firstsuspect

Thank you, Traci, Jerry, Carlos, Juan and all of the other fine people who helped make this event possible, I know I'm missing some!

This was my first time at an Apple Seed, fun and definitely a lot of learning, I highly encourage everyone to give it a shot you won't meet a nicer group of shooters, I will be coming back.

Thanks again!

Jim

Mrs. Smith

Thank you so much, Jim!  It was a pleasure meeting and working with you,  and we're looking forward to song it again real soon  :)

Quote from: Firstsuspect on October 29, 2018, 07:41:29 PM
Thank you, Traci, Jerry, Carlos, Juan and all of the other fine people who helped make this event possible, I know I'm missing some!

This was my first time at an Apple Seed, fun and definitely a lot of learning, I highly encourage everyone to give it a shot you won't meet a nicer group of shooters, I will be coming back.

Thanks again!

Jim
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Mateo brought his son - that is SO AWESOME!

I remember Mateo from the first El Paso shoot in 2008.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Sir Not Appearing In This Film on November 02, 2018, 01:07:06 PM
Mateo brought his son - that is SO AWESOME!

I remember Mateo from the first El Paso shoot in 2008.

STEVE!!!   :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) I miss hearing from you, brother!

Mateo did say he'd been to an event before, and his Appleseed shirt was definitely a dated version  ;D  That child of his is adorable and sharp as a whip, lemee tell ya! Did I mention that his son's actual middle name is Shooter?!?!  Too cool!!!!  I sure hope those folks come back and see us again!  Momma was really doing well, and as Shooter gets older and stronger, it'll be nice to see Mateo get back on the line.   

oladcock

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx