News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP Talladega, AL AAR November 3-4 2018 Known Distance

Started by Maximum Ordinate, November 04, 2018, 11:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

The weather was gorgeous and for this KD event!  We couldn't have asked for better.

The CMP Marksmanship Park at Talladega is the Rolls Royce of rifle ranges.  We shoot out to 600 yards on targets with electronic sensors which provides immediate feedback to shooters on video screens at their position.  In other words - no walking during a KD!

Saturday, we started off with some classroom time and moved to Range 2 for some short work (zeroing and Stage 1).  Then we took a break to focus on the other two challenges of a Rifleman: target detection & range estimation.  For the practical exercise, we moved to Range 5 where camouflaged targets were waiting to be detected and ranged.  Some were easy - some were *really* hard to find.

Sunday, we  started in the classroom then went out to Range 1 (600y).  We spent the day gathering data and completing AQTs.  Shooters worked hard, rocking out five AQTs that day!

I want to congratulate the seven shooters who qualified or requalified as Known Distance Riflemen:

Brad - 41, 44, 47, 49, 50 (Distinguished, high score of the day!)
Eddie B. - 41, 42, 44, 45, 49 (Distinguished)
Henry (Stoneknifes) - 45, 47, 47, 49 (Distinguished)
Shea - 41, 44, 47, 48, 48 (Distinguished)
Jimmy  - 41, 41, 42, 45, 48 (Distinguished)
Michael O. - 48 (Distinguished)
Ara - 47, 48 (Distinguished)
Doug - 44, 44
Benjamin - 41, 44
Charles - 43
Joe - 41
Alvin - 40
Michael - 40

There are lots of stories, but I'll share a few. 

The first is Jimmy.  Jimmy has been to a bunch of KDs.  He is the very model of persistence.  It was spectacular to watch him break through that wall... and once he did, he went from 41/50 to 48/50 in the very same day!  He's a man who knows very well what he's about.  We are SO proud of you!

My second story is about Danny.  Danny is what we affectionately call a dangerous old man.  He's about my height (think short) with far less pizza around the waist.  Imagine my surprise when he breaks out a gorgeous M14 and shoots perfect standing scores!!  He's well on his way to that KD Rifleman score and I hope an orange hat soon.

Finally, I have to give a shout-out to Henry (Florida's own Stoneknives).  Henry is a high son of Liberty, but has had some bad luck at his last few KD events and came up with his brother Alvin to spend the weekend with us.  Congrats on finally earning that patch and thank you for coming.  You're welcome up here anytime!  I hope you and Alvin had a great time.  :)

I really appreciate everyone who came out and hope each of you took home good memories and a greater appreciation for Liberty.  My thanks to all the instructors who came out to help this event.  It's always a pleasure working with professionals! 

Many thanks to our hosts at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park:  Jason, Don, Mike, Lee, John, Amanda, Laura, and all the others.  We are so grateful to share your beautiful facility!  They are first class all the way!

Keep dry firing at home.  Hope to see each of you soon.

in Liberty,
Rusty

The group picture!
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

CokeGuy

Outstanding! Wish I could have been there.
Everett
"CokeGuy"

BooneCaudill

What a great event! Thanks so much to all the great instructors that took the time to host it and to CMP for allowing us the use of such an excellent facility!

This was my first KD and I really had a blast, learned more than I could soak in about shooting, and heard some history I hadn't had a chance to hear at previous Appleseed's.

Really liked the history regarding King's Mountain. Have an ancestor that fought in that battle and it was great to hear the history presented so well.

So much good info on trajectory and wind. And now I have a good dope on my rifle I put together for the event that I know I can trust :). So few opportunities in the civilian world to get such excellent instruction on these subjects.

Cant wait for the next one!!!

The hardest thing to explain is that which is glaringly evident, which everybody had decided not to see. -Aayn Rand

Corvette

Wow so many Distinguished scores, I bow to the master. 🙏 Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Google

We couldn't have asked for a better weekend.  Everything from the facility to the weather and the shooters was great!

I hope to see all of you on the trail again soon!  :F

Roswell

Sounds like a great event! I am sorry I missed it, but look forward to next time.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

armbrat

I had a wonderful time with you all.  I wish I could have stayed longer to try and get that Distinguished rocker.  Next time I will! - Joe

Cleveland

What a wonderful group of shooters to work with. Hope to see you all again soon!

Liberty,
Cleveland
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Maximum Ordinate

I was able to get a few pictures uploaded.  You're welcome to post more if you have them...

Instructors inspecting the range before Target Detection & Range Estimation

Riflemen from the first AQT

Two shooters with 49/50 scores... and a hooligan from Florida in the background!

A couple more who know what they are about.

And the hits just keep on coming!

State patch presentation.  Thank you for visiting and helping out!

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.