News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kimball, MI KD Full distance October 27-28, 2018

Started by Superheat, October 31, 2018, 09:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superheat

Rain, Rain and more Rain, SO WHAT?.  We are shooting FULL DISTANCE!

Thanks to Blue Water Sportsman Association.  This is one Awesome club!  They let us use their 600 yard range, WITH PITS, all weekend. 

Congratulations to all the Rifleman and the newest Riflewoman, LEAD AND THREAD!  ..:.. 

My gear is just about dried out, so I guess it is time to get this thread started.

SUBMAN762, Welcome aboard, He is our newest IIT. Huzzah!

Please post pics!

Update:  My records show 13 rifleman over the weekend.  13 out of 17 is pretty good.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Tick Wrangler

I want to offer up my thanks to everyone whom made this event happen. I was really excited for the opportunity to shoot a longer distance. The cold and rain took its toll on me on Saturday though and I missed Sunday. :(

Congratulations to my wife Lead and Thread for getting her patch.... at a KD of all places. I am so proud to see all the hard work and practice she has put in pay out in such a cool way. Good job hunny.

So many people shot so well, it was such a cool experience to see a true representation of skill and proper application of fundamentals taught by Appleseed. Now I'm off to refine my skills to earn my KD patch!

I will ask LT to post the pictures I took later.

"Did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" - Pink Floyd

Tick Wrangler

Additionally if anyone would mind spending a minute to send Blue Water an email sharing with them how great the event was or how good of a time you had, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://bwsa.club/about-bwsa/contact-bwsa/

http://bwsa.club/about-bwsa/board-of-directors/
"Did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" - Pink Floyd

No Lambo

Thank you to all the instructors who put in a ton of time and effort to pull this shoot off.  You did an amazing job.

I had an absolute blast.  It is amazing to me how transferable the skills are from rimfire to centerfire - I was as prepared for this shoot as I could have hoped for - without the ability to practice at those distances beforehand. 

The range was really nice, and it was even fun to work the pits.  I have no suggestions for how it could have been better, it was amazing.

The part of this shoot that I was the most amazed by was the skill level of the shooters.  At a typical 25m event you will have a wide range of skill levels.  At this event, every single shooter was highly skilled.  I saw some really amazing shooting, by some really outstanding individuals.  I don't know what the final count was, but a huge percentage of the participants shot rifleman.  It felt like a much higher percentage of the group than normal.

I can't wait for the next one - and I will happily send emails to the members of the board of the range.

Thanks everyone for an absolutely fantastic weekend.
There is no Truth that I need to fear.

ITB

Despite Mother Nature's best efforts, we thumbed our noses at her and had a great weekend.  What a great group of shooters, and the instructor cadre certainly brought their "A" game.

Congratulations to all of our Riflemen (and women), and to our new Orange Hat Subman762.  We have one more Orange Hat reserved for another certain someone.... &)   **)

On with some pics...

Saturday morning pit crew

Usage of black pasters (left) vs usage of white pasters (right).  We would call this "good."

Sunday Riflemen with our esteemed Shoot Boss...

Saturday night dinner

On the 500-yard berm on Sunday

Group pic

Gear transporter, courtesy Superheat

Hammer Forged spotting for the shooters at 600 yards.  For context, that tiny little yellow flag in the distance, circled in blue, is the 3'x5' Gadsden flag on the 400-yard berm.

Michigan's newest Orange Hat!  Huzzah!

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

T. WOLF

What a memorable event - I had a blast!  This was my first time shooting beyond 200 yards, and it was exhilarating!  Thanks to my Appleseed cadre for giving me the chance to doff the orange hat for a weekend and just enjoy being a wide-eyed shooter again.  Putting lead on target from 600 yards is unreal!  :snipersmi

I can't complain about the weather - it didn't stop us from doing our thing, just had to give some extra TLC to my gear. There's no way I would have traded that weather for a sweaty 85 degrees and blazing sunshine. 

As No Lambo said, working the pits was actually really fun.  It was hard not get excited for the shooter you were marking targets for.  Appleseed team did a great job preparing all the targets and materials for this shoot.

Excellent points of instruction this weekend too.  I really enjoyed the opportunity to put all the Appleseed concepts into practice at known distances.  I hope every shooter who is familiar with 25yd events gets the opportunity to experience this someday. 

Thanks everyone for a memorable weekend!

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

MI-copperhead

What a great weekend! Rain, cool temps, and some wind thrown in for proper seasoning mixed together with a great group of riflemen and properly stirred together by an outstanding cadre of instructors produced a large batch of KD qualified Rifleman/Riflewomen with only a small number just missing the cut. What can I say about Blue Water Sportsman Association range, it was like a golf course for Rifleman.  This range is beautifully kept and maintained and I hope that I will have an opportunity to return here next year for another shot to qualify as a KD Rifleman . I loved it that Jessica earned her first  Rifleman patch on her first attempt at KD. Shoot like a girl indeed ! One of our number who qualified Saturday unselfishly gave up his spot on the line Sunday so another who was knocking on the door of a Rifleman score could have another shot to qualify. ITB loaned his AR to another  who had his fail so he could qualify at KD. What an outstanding group of like minded people an show of teamwork. After ITB marched us up and down the full distance AQT's Sunday  (he got us through the first AQT in 35 minutes) we got to go to the 500 yard line for sighters and then to the 600 yard line for sighters and shots on the steel targets that ITB and Superheat brought with them. What an awesome weekend! It was great getting to see old friends who worked so hard to help me get my first Rifleman patch seven years ago and to meet new ones. HUZZAH  HUZZAH HUZZAH  !
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

HammBone

Sounds like a really fun event. Love those target pits!

I'm doing my first KD this weekend. Any tips for a first timer?
Also, anything you would do different with your equipment?
Backpack or range bag?
What kind of ammo did the AR15s use?
Looks like the rifles have to be cased while moving from line to line, correct?

Hammbone
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

Superheat

Quote from: HammBone on November 01, 2018, 09:39:51 AM

Backpack or range bag?

Hammbone

Shoot boss has discretion on keeping the event safe.   We cased rifles when moving.  RSO would double check for safe rifle and then zip up the case.  This worked out well when swapping people in and out of the pits.  Put your case here, grab your case and go.  This worked well for our situation.

Backpack.  Travel light!  You don't need a shooting mat or a coffee maker with you.  Only take the essentials.

I like 62 grain or higher for ARs when shooting full distance.  Apply your skills, ask for help when reading the wind.  Enjoy.

Superheat.

No Lambo

Pack light.  You will be doing a lot of moving, so you don't want to carry any unnecessary gear.  I used a backpack and I think that was the way to go, I just wish I had put less stuff in it.

Have enough magazines so you can prep an entire aqt's worth before you start.  This will save you a lot of time and aggravation at the line.  The pace is brisk, so any time you can save yourself will help you not feel rushed.

Another thing I learned is 30 round mags are no good for this event.  I was unable to get my arm properly under the rifle because the mag was in the way.  I will have all 10 round mag's for my next event - the instructors and other shooters all seemed to like 20 round mags.  I am short, with stubby little Trex arms, so even the 20 round mag's were a little too much.

Pack rain gear - or other appropriate clothing - Appleseed events seem to draw bad weather.

Make sure you have plenty of food and water.  I ended up eating while I was working the pits.

Overall - don't bring anything you don't need.  You will regret carrying it.

Otherwise, you are in for about as much fun as the law will allow.

Super Trooper

A big thanks to Superheat for organizing the weekend on and BWSA for hosting us.What an outstanding weekend. 

It was my first time shooting past 200 yards and I had a blast.   All the fundamentals at 25 really do directly apply to shooting at 400+ yards, and once I saw the targets were the same size as what I was used to seeing (don't know why I thought they would be different from the scaled targets) you just have to shoot your sighters and go.  It was great seeing all the KD tabs being handed out and the dialed in shooters and instructors on the line.  I was really impressed that William and DSS were taking a crack with irons and shooting very well, those targets get really little with no magnification.

Can't wait until the next one. :snipersmi

Hammbone:
I was one of the few using a range bag instead of a back pack.  I did totally empty it before the weekend and didn't have any issues.  I was shooting 55gr wolf gold and it did great out to 600 yards.  I did have 6 20 round mags, and a water proof jacket.  I need rain pants next time as only half of me was dry.
The hardest distance to shoot is the six inches between your ears.  It gets easier when you get out of your own way.  Self doubt and negative self talk have no place on the firing line. 
Once a shot is gone... good or bad, it is gone.   Focus on the next one. Make forty good first shots.

Superheat

Btw, Mrsurplus has all the rain gear you will ever need.

HammBone

Good data folks. My AR15 has a 1:7 20" barrel so it's actually set up for the heavier bullets, BUT I couldn't find anything other than M855 that was affordable. Since I already had 300 rounds of 55 grain Federal I just went for more of that.

I have some great rain gear, but it's camouflage. I know that camo is forbidden when we instruct, but I assume it's OK to wear as a shooter?

I will take a backpack and will borrow a few more smaller capacity mags so I can load a full course of fire. Great tip!

And no shooting mat, eh? I was going to take one, but if you all think no I guess I will not carry it.

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

Superheat

Quote from: HammBone on November 01, 2018, 11:18:40 AM
Good data folks. My AR15 has a 1:7 20" barrel so it's actually set up for the heavier bullets, BUT I couldn't find anything other than M855 that was affordable. Since I already had 300 rounds of 55 grain Federal I just went for more of that.

I have some great rain gear, but it's camouflage. I know that camo is forbidden when we instruct, but I assume it's OK to wear as a shooter?

I will take a backpack and will borrow a few more smaller capacity mags so I can load a full course of fire. Great tip!

And no shooting mat, eh? I was going to take one, but if you all think no I guess I will not carry it.

I don't know your set up.  Are you going to shoot from the same spot?   Or will you be moving?  Contact the Shoot Boss. 

HammBone

Quote from: Superheat on November 01, 2018, 11:23:15 AM
I don't know your set up.  Are you going to shoot from the same spot?   Or will you be moving?  Contact the Shoot Boss.

We are moving for each distance.

No Lambo

I brought a mat despite the advice not to.  I was happy I brought it.

Superheat is right though - it will depend on your set up.  If the targets are stationary and the shooter's are moving, I stand by my advice.

HammBone

Thanks guys. Really appreciated. I hope to meet some of you all in February when I come up for your IBC.

waveman

ThreadNLead "TL"

First of all, as always, huge thank you to all the instructors who made this event happen, as well as Waveman for getting things set up at the range!! It was really great seeing so many instructors as both instructors and shooters.

And as you can guess, I GOT MY PURPLE PATCH!!!!! I think only my hubby (Tick Wrangler), and Superheat know how badly I've been wanting that patch. (And I've wanted the PURPLE one since the first time Superheat told me he only gives them to girls.)
I've done 4 events now (2 regular, 1 one-day Ladyseed, and now this one). Since the second event, I've been hovering just below Rifleman's score. I've been practicing my booty off, and really trying to apply everything I've learned at Appleseed events. After many rounds, hours, and even some tears, I feel like I finally got the hang of this thing lol. It's an (ironic?) unexpected bonus that I finally got it at the KD. I know I have been around some truly great instructors because the progress I've made between my first event this past April, and this one, is astounding!

I love that I'm starting to see familiar faces at these events. I feel like I've become friends with many of the instructors now. :)  ;)

Ok here are some pics in no particular order....

Admiring my new PURPLE PATCH...  :1luvu

Reading about Madam Yotnotin

500 Yards

600 Yards

Pit Selfie

Patching Holes

Great Job!!

Another Great Job!!

Congrats to taking a hat!!

Hat Switch

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams
Super Trooper, forever in my heart.
First Patch: (was a) KD 10/27/18
Winterseed Patch: 11/11/18
Orange Hat: 11/11/18
"InfernoSeed": 7/20/19
Red Hat: 4/18/21
KD: 11/26/23
Morgan's Shingle/Star (prone and standing): 11/26/23

ThreadNLead "TL"

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams

ThreadNLead "TL"

Quote from: LeadNthread on November 01, 2018, 09:09:10 PM
Not sure if this will work....

Guess it didn't....
One more try.... It's just a little video from both 500 and 600 yards. If this doesn't work then you'll have to check out my Instagram lol

https://imgur.com/IuvyyD5

https://imgur.com/BPJ0wil

ThreadNLead "TL"

Backpack or range bag?

Hammbone

Throwing in my 2 cents about the shooting mat...
My opinion of course....  I took mine and didn't regret it. It wasn't hard to carry since its light and folds up quickly. I also didn't feel rushed because I had it. I got things packed up and was ready to move to the next position without anyone having to wait on me.

I also second getting enough 10 round mags to prep an entire AQT at once. Huge time saver!!

Something else Tick Wrangler and I did, that was super helpful, was we marked our mags as "2" "8" and "10" so that I knew exactly how many rounds we were picking up. We just marked the bottom of the mags with different colored tape, then wrote the number on the tape.

Good luck and have fun!

MI-copperhead

Quote from: Superheat on October 31, 2018, 09:49:01 AM

Update:  My records show 13 rifleman over the weekend. 

Hmmm, now where have I heard that number come up in Appleseed.  ;)
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Bill Winkle

Awesome weekend. Good to see so many familiar faces and meet some new folks as well!
....Bill Winkle....

JustaShooter

Quote from: LeadNthread on November 01, 2018, 09:30:09 PM

Backpack or range bag?

Hammbone

Throwing in my 2 cents about the shooting mat...
My opinion of course....  I took mine and didn't regret it. It wasn't hard to carry since its light and folds up quickly. I also didn't feel rushed because I had it. I got things packed up and was ready to move to the next position without anyone having to wait on me.

I also second getting enough 10 round mags to prep an entire AQT at once. Huge time saver!!

Something else Tick Wrangler and I did, that was super helpful, was we marked our mags as "2" "8" and "10" so that I knew exactly how many rounds we were picking up. We just marked the bottom of the mags with different colored tape, then wrote the number on the tape.

Good luck and have fun!

Agreed about the shooting mat - I really appreciated having mine in both KD shoots I've done.  And smart to have enough mags for an entire AQT and mark them, though I did mine a little differently: I used two 20-round mags (unmarked) loaded with 2 rounds each for the mag change stages.  My thinking was to give extra weight to drop free & give something to grab a hold of if they didn't.  Then two 10-round mags (unmarked) loaded with 8 rounds, then two 10 round mags loaded with 10 rounds, marked with a "10".  I used a silver Sharpie - nearly permanent and showed up really well.
Christian, Husband, Father
Rifleman

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

T. WOLF

LeadNThread - thank you for capturing a photo of my target!  They are a little hard to see from 600 yards.  ^:)^

Re: shooting mats - I carried mine and I was glad I had it.  I was wet enough without laying on the soggy grass. You just need to be expeditious with your equipment when you're done shooting. Get an RSO to clear you rifle as soon as you're done so that you can case it.  Then get your mat rolled up quickly and head to the next shooting position, LEAVE YOUR RIFLE CASED, and start prepping mags. It worked out fine.
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

HammBone

We are getting ready to start day 2. The tips really helped. My first attempt got me the LONG DISTANCE rocker with a 224. I followed that with a 233. The range here is a mudpit. We ended taking huge tarps and putting over the 200 and 300 yard lines. I was able to leave my muddy mat at the 400 and just carry my rifle and an ammo box. I had enough mags to have a full AQT prepped. Excellent tip. We were allowed to sling our safe rifles and carry them so that was nice. Out of the 16 shooters, 11 have already qualified. We have some real talent here this weekend. Here's the group after AQT #1.

Follow-up: Qualified 5 of 5 with 224-233-237-238-225. Only 2 points from distinguished. Next time!

ITB

Quote from: LeadNthread on November 01, 2018, 09:01:24 PM
Another Great Job!!

Just an FYI for those that remember - the rifle used by Grindstone was the rifle built by committee at the 2017 IBC.
Ammo used was Federal XM193 brown box.  So 55-grain can be effective at 600 yards.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Tick Wrangler

Quote from: ITB on November 04, 2018, 10:44:24 AM
Quote from: LeadNthread on November 01, 2018, 09:01:24 PM
Another Great Job!!

Just an FYI for those that remember - the rifle used by Grindstone was the rifle built by committee at the 2017 IBC.
Ammo used was Federal XM193 brown box.  So 55-grain can be effective at 600 yards.

Is that a 16 In barrel?