Author Topic: Want to Help: Grammatical Atrocities  (Read 325 times)

Offline GozaSC

• Instructor In Training 2
  • The solution is never more government.
Want to Help: Grammatical Atrocities
« on: October 25, 2018, 02:11:38 AM »
As an IIT, I have stumbled upon several resources on this forum which are riddled with spelling and grammatical errors. In the spirit of professionalism, I would love to help correct these to better the community.

Also, is this the only place to post stuff? Almost every other board/topic seems to be heavily locked down.

Cheers,
GozaSC

Offline FiremanBob

• designated Shoot Boss
Re: Want to Help: Grammatical Atrocities
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 08:53:27 AM »
That's a nice sentiment, but contemporary 18th century documents were also filled with "creative" grammar and spelling. The "correction" process might cause these forum writings to lose their authenticity.

But hey, if you like to write, perhaps you would like to do an article for the Newsletter some time.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:21:02 PM by FiremanBob »
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"
1022Companion.com

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Offline B.C.

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »
See the attached picture!
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Offline Faramir

• Instructor in Training
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 01:01:00 AM »
See the attached picture!

That made me laugh. Too hard, but laugh nonetheless.

Offline StevenK

• designated Shoot Boss
  • FRONT toward enemy-do not eat.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 07:18:40 AM »
Welcome to the group :beer: We appreciate your spirit.  ^:)^ Stick around  :F. There is more that’s “right” about Appleseed than meets the eye.  @)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:56:08 AM by StevenK »
May we all find Peace.

Offline SteelThunder

• Michigan State Coordinator
  • Senior Instructor
  • All knowing, all powerful, utterly indifferent
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:17:23 AM by SteelThunder »
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -- Tecumseh

Offline Monkey

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 06:40:02 AM »
Its a quandry, indeeed...
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible.”
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Offline SIGSauerKraut

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »
I realize that there’s probably a long chain involved in getting something printed or published, and that adding a “proof” step would stretch it even further, especially when it’s performed gratis by already busy people.
Please consider GozaSC’s offer.
Basic errors in ads and such from other organizations really detracts from their cred. I can’t point to any of ours at the moment, but that may be an indicator that I’ve lowered my standard.
Detractors of organizations like ours would like nothing more than to add “backwoods knuckle-draggers” to their list of petty criticisms...
Sorry for the errors in this message! Fat thumbs on a tiny phone will be my lame excuse  ;)

Offline StevenK

• designated Shoot Boss
  • FRONT toward enemy-do not eat.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »
Most respectfully:

I have been in this group for a number of years and have never noticed any communication problems that would detract from the respect we in Appleseed both give to and deserve from others. We are not seeking "cred" from petty critics.  Appleseed is a nationwide family of terrific dedicated people - Appleseed does not consider that anyone is a "backwoods knuckle dragger"  nor do we refer to any of our countrymen or fellows in Appleseed in any such demeaning terms. Discourtesy to anyone is unacceptable on this forum.

I would not post if someone "here to help" is to revise what I have written -- I strenuously object to that concept. 

I ask that you open the manual and start pulling the wagon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:47:37 AM by StevenK »
May we all find Peace.

Offline ThePoet

• AOC Member
  • Shoot Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 08:20:05 PM »
We've worked hard to get away from volunteers producing homegrown marketing collateral.  All external communication is supposed to be reviewed for fit within the current messaging framework.  We also proofread to check for grammar, spelling, and syntax errors. If there are any examples of errors in current external communications, please let me know and I will do my best to fix it.

While GozaSC's offer is appreciated, we should probably focus on more pressing matters. 

Offline Maximum Ordinate

• Master Instructor
  • Liberty, yo!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »
Hey David,

ThePoet's right.  His folks have a handle on the customer-facing stuff; that's what's important.

We have a saying in the program, "Don't let perfect get in the way of good enough."  The manual, the history, the other instructor material - it's good enough.  You're motivated and care enough to want to make a difference.  You certainly can - break out that manual, study up, do your PCs, and earn that Red Hat!

When you're working on the line, you're touching the lives of fellow Americans.  You're planting seeds of Liberty in their minds.  That's the most important thing that any of us do.  I pray that someday the next Patrick Henry or Paul Revere is on my firing line and our message is just what he needs to light his spirit on fire.

v/r
MO
"Tradition is the handing down of the flame and not the worshipping of ashes."
-attributed to Thomas More