News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Have I been here too long?

Started by PHenry, October 12, 2018, 11:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

I posted this on the FL page yesterday and it seemed to get some interest, so figured I would share with my brothers and sisters in GA as well.

My first event was in January of 2007. I took a "hat" (no orange hats then) in early 2008. It's been a blur since then. So much so that I missed a lot along the way. Stuff that vols who came in later might take for granted. I never took a PC, because they didn't exist. The original forum (very different from current) was where you qual'd to instruct at all. You had to answer questions and a seasoned instructor had to check your answers before giving the nod for you being allowed to work an event. Nuts and bolts stuff mostly.

The other day I stumbled across a post by Fred from many years ago, intended to help a new instructor navigate becoming an Appleseeder. I found plenty of good info  - even for an old-timer like me. Some I knew from my early mentors, Fred included, and some stuff I picked up or figured out along the trail.

Have I been here too long? Well, that's just silly.  I just need to make sure I stay informed, alert and active - same as any other volunteer, old or new.  ^-^

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=25128.0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Charles McKinley

Don't scare me like that!

Lots of good people I haven't worked the line with have been passing the torch or changed focus.  :'(

SOM SOM

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery