News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Volga, Iowa: 29-30Sep2018

Started by IXOYE, October 01, 2018, 12:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IXOYE

We had a great shoot on the Osmundson farm in Volga. I'm not sure, but I think it might be the very first Appleseed clinic to be held in someone's driveway. Many thanks to Steve and Anne for hosting the event again and for offering to move the event up by their house where we'd have their garage to get in out of the rain. Many kudos to Anne as well for stepping up to run for the Iowa House of Representatives. We missed your presence on the line Sunday, but we completely understand how getting elected might take precedence.

Weather was generally cool. Saturday started out with a little frost on the pumpkin with the temperature right at 32 degrees. You could see your breath most of the weekend and we got pretty wet Saturday afternoon. Sunday was a little warmer and the rain held off until about five minutes after we got all the gear packed up and hit the road home.

Our group of shooters showed marked improvement throughout the weekend. They also exhibited fantastic attitudes even when the rain came pouring down. They all came back Sunday dried out and ready to go. Congratulations to Zack for scoring sharp shooter. With a little more practice you'll be knocking on the rifleman's door.

Sunday afternoon we lost a few of the participants so that gave our instructors an opportunity to take turns shooting an AQT. It was nice to see everyone clearly demonstrate their rifleman skills. Special CONGRATULATIOINS to our Orange Hat Emily who shot a 236 with iron sights and earned her distinguished patch! You go girl!

I would especially like to thank the instructors who drove halfway across the state to help out. Cort, Shannon, & Emily, it was very much a pleasure to have you guys there!

Here are  some pictures I took during the shoot.

Here is our group during some instruction time on Saturday

Cort & Shannon going through steady hold factors

Talking through the finer points of steady hold factors

Father / Son Carding Sights

Daughter / Dad Carding Sights

Anne shooting in seated

Zach shooting seated

View of the whole setup

The driveway firing line

Emily & Shannon reviewing seated steady hold factors

Shooting with the 10/22 Take-Down

Shannon demonstrating he's a true rifleman

Shooting our last AQT

Shannon explaining the Greencoat

Zach waiting for the fire command

Emily clearing the line

Shannon & Emily reviewing standing position

Cort reviewing the Six Steps

Emily & Shannon reviewing seated position

Emily receiving her Distinguished patch !!!

The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! (Edmund Burke)

Ames

We representatives of the Ames instructor cadre thoroughly enjoyed working with Rex this weekend.  Rex has a great work going on in north east Iowa and often does it single handedly.  Thanks for letting us join the party! 

Volga has been very special to Emily.  Two years ago she earned her Riflemans patch and took her orange hat there.  It's a great privilege to work along side of her and her dad Shannon. 

I hope to see all of the students again at another Appleseed soon!

Cort

Socks

I do enjoy Volga shoots!  It was a pleasure to help out and travel to a different range.  Thanks for having us!

Emily

Ames

"Many kudos to Anne as well for stepping up to run for the Iowa House of Representatives."

UPDATE:

Anne won her election to the Iowa House of Representatives!  Congratulations Anne on your accomplishment!  At Appleseeds, we talk at length about being involved in our communities and our states by participating in the ballot box, the soap box and the jury box, among other things.  You set a great example to us all.