News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Waco, TX September 15-16, 2018

Started by Steck, September 16, 2018, 11:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steck

Great Appleseed event at Central Texas Rifle in Waco, TX September 15-16, 2018 - 20 shooters (and some parents and grandparents!) came out to reconnect with their heritage! 

Details, comments, photos to follow...

Mercedes

What a GREAT group of shooters we had to work with this weekend.  Young, and those not so young, were receptive to instruction, were eager to "eat dirt," and put some lead down range.  It's so much fun to see familiar faces return to Waco.

While I primarily worked with the youth this weekend, Hannah, Seth, and Jake each developed some great skills and watched their scores continuously increase.  I know that they are going to return home and practice those new skills and when they return for another Appleseed and really going to stretch and go for Rifleman!

Debbie

wwbrock

Central Texas Appleseed in Waco, Texas, Great event. I learned a ton and I loved the experience. Thanks to all the instructors who helped make it a great success! Everyone should attend!

USAF_H20Walker

John M. here, I wanted to thank everyone for their time and knowledge share!  My son and I really enjoyed Saturday.  Unfortunately we couldn't make it back down on Sunday, we had a couple things get in the way.  It's been great to see how much my son has improved since his first time in July.  We're saving his redcoat targets to show progress. 

We are hoping to get the whole family out for a future Appleseed in Fort Worth or Waco.  The family time is outstanding. 

I'm planning on attending my first KD Appleseed in New Braunfels next month.  I hope to see some familiar faces. 

twtex85

Had a great time improving my skills at the Waco shoot this past weekend.  Probably my 3rd or 4th Appleseed and each time my scores improve. Getting closer and closer to the score needed for the elusive rifleman patch.  I also wanted to thank to all the instructors who donate their time and effort to help each participant improve.  I never tire of hearing the associated  history that sparked the American revolution. Each time I attend one of the Appleseed I come away with a little known fact or side story about that event that I didn't know beforehand.   Will try to sneak one more event in before the end of the year and then once I achieve the rifleman patch then will try one of the known distance shoots.  Thank again to all the instructors .

Mercedes

We missed both of you, John. Seth and Jake were looking forward to seeing Jack again.  :(   He has improved a lot and it was so much fun to watch his facial expressions when things "Clicked."  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Padraic and I will see in at the KD  :snipersmi!  You'll really appreciate the challenge.  Watch for materials to be posted or sent by email.  I'll be working a Ladyseed this weekend in San Antonio with the KD shoot boss and I'll confirm the delivery of the KD information for you.

Deb

Radioflyer97

George Here:

Natalie and I really enjoyed the shoot.
Natalie went from having never shot a rifle to shooting in the 180s on the AQT with the aid of the instructors and a loaner (although somewhat cranky) rifle.

Having never fired my rifle without a bipod, this was a new experience for me as well. I learned a great deal about becoming one with my rifle and went from a modest 140s AQT to a 196 by the end of the day (with a bolt gun). Special thanks to the IIT who loaned me his wicked suppressed 10-22 for the last AQT. (Sorry I can't recall your name)

We have both committed to getting new semi-auto rifles to participate in future apple-seed events.   

What went well?
- The shoot was well-organized and an excellent use of time available. The facilities were fantastic and we much appreciated shooting from the shade and having cold-water on-site.
- I really enjoyed the 5- minute"speed-seed" AQT, although notice would need to be made in advance for shooters to have enough magazines to participate.

What could have been better?
- I think it would be a good idea to shoot the first AQT without the clock (or a a more generous clock) to verify fundamentals have taken hold. As my old instructor once told me: "You can't miss fast enough".
- To minimize "intruding neighbor shots", it might help to "frame" the target with the different color tape particularly on AQTs. This would also minimize the amount of time spent searching searching for your number and then finding the NPOA again. 

Overall?
- An excellent program that obviously is well-refined. This was an anniversary (of meeting) gift to ourselves and a vacation we both enjoyed. As time permits, I see both Natalie and I becoming volunteers and perhaps Assistant Instructors in the future.
"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh…everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

(It's always the equipment's fault... :P)

Multicam_Cowboy

Thanks for the suggestions radioflyer, the "speed- seed" was a spur of the moment thing as far as i know.

The suppressed 10/22 was mine lol, I'm Dustin.

Hope to see you out there again!

Mercedes

RadioFlyer97 and Nat,

Thank you for your detailed comments.  What I especially like about AS events is the instant feedback the targets provide each time an adjustment is made and the personal challenge to improve.  We don't compete against one another, only ourselves.

I wasn't on the right side of the line, so we didn't spend any time together, but let Nat know that my first shoot was with four "cranky" loaner rifles at a 5-day event in March 2017.  I also had never picked up a rifle before.  Her biggest advantage this weekend is that she didn't have any bad habits to unlearn. 

Review the blue sheet from the Registration packet and practice dry firing at home - an outlet is the perfect height target (ammo in a different room on a different floor, if possible). 15 minutes/day.

Excited for you to return and look forward to you joining our Instructor cadre in the future.

Debbie

scuzzy

I got this email from Radioflyer97 last night:

I wanted to thank you again for opening up the extra space at the Waco event. We really enjoyed the shoot.
Natalie went from having never shot a rifle to shooting in the 180s on the AQT with the aid of the instructors and a loaner (although somewhat cranky) rifle.

Having never fired my rifle without a bipod, this was a new experience for me as well. I learned a great deal about becoming one with my rifle and went from a modest 140s AQT to a 196 by the end of the day (with a bolt gun). Special thanks to the IIT who loaned me his wicked suppressed 10-22 for the last AQT. (Sorry I can't recall your name)

We have both committed to getting new semi-auto rifles to participate in future apple-seed events.  As time permits, I see both Natalie and I becoming volunteers and perhaps Assistant Instructors in the future.   
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mercedes

Thanks for sharing, Scuzzy.

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday in SA and Sunday in Ft Worth!

Steck

Ragnar Delta

I didn't happen to get any myself, this month.

Sorry, Steck.